    avoid?

    Thanks,
    Anthony Ferrante

    Anthony Ferrante, Jan 25, 2008

  2. Anthony Ferrante

    Craig Guest

    Gimp @ www.gimp.org

    --

    Craig, Jan 25, 2008

  3. Anthony Ferrante

    Charles Guest

  4. Anthony Ferrante

    m II Guest

    Gimp is good and is available for Windows or Linux.

    For Linux, the following is also available and is getting better very
    quickly.

    http://www.digikam.org/

    mike

    m II, Jan 26, 2008
  5. Anthony Ferrante

    measekite Guest

    The Gimp. It runs under Windows, OSx and Linux. A little complex but
    good. If you want simplicity then Picassa.

    measekite, Jan 26, 2008
  6. People speak well of PhotoFiltre:

    http://photofiltre.free.fr/download_en.htm

    I tried Gimp and found it almost impossible to use - but that was a year
    or two back.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 26, 2008
  7. Anthony Ferrante

    John Bean Guest

    I'm with you, David. Having wrestled with Gimp (I've used
    Photoshop for years) I can only assume that those who
    compare Gimp with PS have not actually used the latter.

    I'm not criticising Gimp, it does what it does and the price
    is certainly right - but a Photoshop replacement it's not.

    So why did I need Gimp at all when I have PS? Easy: my
    Windows XP installation recently fell apart after a couple
    of years of use and I'd lost my XP CD key somewhere along
    the way since my last (re)install so I temporarily installed
    Ubuntu (a Linux flavour) as a stop-gap. I now have both XP
    and Ubuntu on dual-boot and I'm using my squeaky-clean XP
    installation only for Photography - hopefully it will last
    longer! - because much to my surprise I actually prefer
    Ubuntu for pretty much everything else.

    If I could make Photoshop work under WINE (the Windows
    emulator program for Linux) I think I'd ditch Windows
    altogether; my favoured raw converter (Silkypix) works
    perfectly on either OS and there are no other
    photography-related programs for Windows that I couldn't
    replace with an equally good Linux equivalent.

    John Bean, Jan 26, 2008
  8. Anthony Ferrante

    Bill Guest

    Anthony,

    I just ran into info on the latest release of Wine. It claims that
    Photoshop CS2 will run under it and they are looking for testers. Link
    here:

    http://www.winehq.org/?announce=0.9.54

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 26, 2008
  9. Anthony Ferrante

    Dave Guest

    There's a lot of freebies that are fine for most work.
    Gimp
    Paint.NET
    Serif PhotoPlus(there's free and pay versions)
    ....those are layer capable but there's also simpler editors
    Irfanview PhotoFiltre,Picasa,ArtRage,DogWaffle.....
    for more go to:
    http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_GRAPHICS.php

    Another good place to look for freebies photo related is:
    http://www.photo-freeware.net/

    Dave

    Dave, Jan 26, 2008
  10. Anthony Ferrante

    Dave Guest

    p.s. my personal favorites are Gimp(which has a love-it or hate-it rep)
    and for simple edits and batch processing Irfanview

    Dave

    Dave, Jan 26, 2008
  11. Anthony Ferrante

    John Bean Guest

    No he didn't, I did...
    No, John :)
    Thanks very much for that link Bill, I'll certainly look
    into this especially since I use CS2 and have no intention
    of "upgrading" any time soon.

    John Bean, Jan 26, 2008
  12. Anthony Ferrante

    Bill Guest

    Sorry about that. Trying to do two things at once - didn't do either
    very well. :-(

    Bill

    Bill, Jan 27, 2008
  13. Anthony Ferrante

    ransley Guest

    Are you looking for basics, bright, contrast, color, crop, sharpening,
    which is all most need Googles Picasa works, but changes may not
    transfer if you get another program.

    ransley, Jan 27, 2008