    AV. Can anyone advise what is the very best free updating AV that I can
    download?
    Thanks... :)

    miss calm, Jul 17, 2003

  2. miss calm

    philo Guest

    i think it's avg 7 that you have to pay for

    the free edition avg 6 should still be avail

    philo, Jul 17, 2003

  3. miss calm

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jul 17, 2003
  4. miss calm

    Mcploppy © Guest

    miss calm bashed at the keyboard and said..:
    You can download eTrust Antivirus v7 for Windows installation file from:
    http://etrustantivirus.ca.com/v7/eav7promo.exe

    It is a free fully supported, fully functional trial that was to be only
    available till the end of June, but it is still there....

    Mcploppy ©, Jul 17, 2003
  5. miss calm

    johnski Guest

    In miss calm typed:
    Version 6 is still available for free

    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

    johnski, Jul 17, 2003
  6. miss calm

    MT Guest

    http://www.free-av.com/

    I've used this for over an year & I am very happy with it.
    When using internet update feature read messages carefully because it offers
    to re-install even if everything is up to date.

    Do an internet update every week!

    Here's an option for removing a virus after infection.
    It best if you go to another computer & prepare these disks.
    It works on Windows 95/98 & probably on ME/XP.
    I'm not sure if it works on NTFS file system.
    http://www.trendmicro.com/download/emg-disk.asp
    Seven blank 3.5-inch floppy disks
    Label the disks:
    Disk 1 - Emergency Boot Disk
    Disk 2 - Pcscan Files Disk
    Disk 3 - Pattern File Disk 1
    Disk 4 - Pattern File Disk 2
    Disk 5 - Pattern File Disk 3
    Disk 6 - Pattern File Disk 4
    Disk 7 - Pattern File Disk 5

    Download & Installation Instructions:

    Download Rescue Disk Builder.

    Internet Explorer users: When prompted, "What would you like to do with this
    file" choose "Save this program to disk" and click "OK". You will then be
    asked where you want to save the file. Change the "Save in" field to read
    "Desktop" and click "Save" to begin the download process.
    Netscape users: You will be asked where you want to save the file. Change
    the "Save in" field to read "Desktop" and click "Save" to begin the download
    process.

    Once the download is complete, disconnect your PC from the Internet then
    double click the "Rescue Disk Builder" icon on your desktop.

    When asked if you'd like to install the Rescue Disk Builder, click "Yes."
    This will bring up the "Create Emergency Rescue Disk" screen.

    Choose "Complete Rescue Disk" then click "Next."

    Select target drive "A" then click "Next."

    This will bring up the "Format - 3 1/2 Floppy (A:)" screen. Do not change
    any of the on-screen settings. Insert Disk 1 into the A: drive then click
    the "Start" button to begin the format process.

    Once the format is complete, you will see the "Format Results - 31/2 Floppy
    (A:)" screen. Just click the "Close" button.

    This will bring up the "Format - 3 1/2 Floppy (A:)" screen again. Click on
    the "Close" button to begin the Rescue Disk creation.

    Once the disk is finished, You will see the "Create Emergency Rescue Disk"
    screen. Please take out disk 1 and replace it with disk 2. Now click "OK."

    Repeat the disk formatting / rescue disk creation steps for the rest of your
    rescue disk set.

    Once all seven disks are created, click the "Finish" button.

    How to use the Emergency Rescue Disks:
    Turn off the computer (shutdown & unplug the power for a minute) you suspect
    is infected with a virus. Do not reset or reboot because some viruses may
    remain intact in the computer's memory.

    Insert Disk 1 - "Emergency Boot Disk" into your A: drive and turn on the
    computer.

    Follow the on-screen prompts.

    When the scan is complete, remove the disk from your floppy drive and
    restart your computer.

    MT, Jul 18, 2003
  7. miss calm

    °Mike° Guest

    AntiVir PE has *the* worst false positive rates that I have
    seen on any antivirus product. In short, it SUCKS!

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jul 18, 2003
  8. miss calm

    Mara Guest

    I concur.

    "It's NASTY."

    Mara, Jul 18, 2003
  9. miss calm

    °Mike° Guest

    The time I installed it on my system, I (initially) thought I
    had been infected by several viruses. Of course, it didn't
    take long to realise that AVPE was "talking out of it's ass".

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Jul 18, 2003
  10. miss calm

    Mara Guest

    And it was a total PITA to remove. I tested it, too.
    They weren't roses, that's for sure.

    Mara, Jul 18, 2003
  11. No shit sherlock.

    Santiago Zawojski, Jul 18, 2003