    AA battery perferred but not mandatory.

    Thanks

    John

    John S, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Nikon 4300 is about $280 mail order (onecall.com) after $50 rebate.

    Phil Tomaskovic, Apr 6, 2004

  3. John S

    Zen Cohen Guest

    I'm going to check out the just-released Pentax Optio S40, which is $299, 4
    MP, 3x optical zoom, compact, and takes AA's.
    http://www.pentaxusa.com/products/cameras/camera_overview.cfm?productid=18027

    Anybody have one of these yet? What do you think??

    Zen Cohen, Apr 6, 2004
  4. John S

    Bill Crocker Guest

    "AA" batteries in digital cameras is not a good way to go!

    Seriously consider something like a Canon S400.

    Bill Crocker

    Bill Crocker, Apr 6, 2004
  5. John S

    imbsysop Guest

    unless you're talking about alkaline rechargeables, you must be joking

    imbsysop, Apr 6, 2004
  6. John S

    Lucas Tam Guest

    The Canon S400 is a wonderful camera. Amazing pictures.

    Lucas Tam, Apr 6, 2004
  7. John S

    Lucas Tam Guest

    I used to like NiMh batteries, but LiIon is the way to go - it's much
    easier than having to juggle 2 or 4 batteries.

    Lucas Tam, Apr 6, 2004
  8. John S

    imbsysop Guest

    there I agree but not all cameras .. etc ..

    imbsysop, Apr 6, 2004
  9. A 5-megapixels digital camera that you might find worth looking at is
    the Minolta Dimage F-300.

    My local camera store during March 2004 had priced it at $288
    close-out sale.

    Dave Etchells' (Atlanta, Georgia, USA) "Imaging Resource" website has
    a review at
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/F300/F30A.HTM

    In my opinion, the Minolta Dimage F-300 camera is more advanced than
    is the Kodak EasyShare DX-4530 camera. (I have both cameras, and
    greatly prefer the results from the Minolta camera.)

    _____________________
    _____________________

    camera critter, Apr 6, 2004
  10. John S

    peter Guest

    The May 2004 issue of consumer reports has a rating of about 60 digital
    cameras from 2 to 6 megapixels. Many 3-MP ones are under $300. I wouldn't
    completely trust their print quality rating (use steves-digicams.com to
    judge sample photos yourself), but they also have other info like AA battery
    compatibility, battery life, optical zoom, flash range, weight, next shot
    delay.

    According to their test, the canon G5's battery life is an amazing 750
    shots. While the minolta dimage E223 is only 25 shots.

    peter, Apr 6, 2004
  11. John S

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Tue, 6 Apr 2004 06:31:42 -0400,
    Strongly disagree, particularly when RCR-V3 is an option.

    John Navas, Apr 6, 2004
  12. John S

    John Navas Guest

    In <[email protected]> on Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:24:19
    I think you'll find them far more appropriate for powering a camera than for
    juggling. ;-)

    Kidding aside, RCR-V3 is rechargeable LiIon that will work in many (but by no
    means all) cameras that take AA, thereby giving you the best of all worlds:
    NiMH AA, RCR-V3 is you prefer LiIon, CR-V3 for backup in a pinch, alkaline AA
    when desperate.

    John Navas, Apr 6, 2004
  13. John S

    ChrisJ Guest

    A different view: Ability to take AA batteries is a great way to go!

    The chargers for AA sized NiMH batteries are available from many
    places = cheap.
    With most chargers you can charge the batteries from a cigarette
    lighter socket in the car.
    The same charger can be used for the Wifes Walkman as for the camera
    (less to carry on holiday).
    The same charger can be used for the batteries for the GPS when
    sailing.
    If I run out of charged batteries, finding some spare AAs for an
    emergency use is easy.

    ChrisJ, Apr 6, 2004
  14. John S

    ChrisJ Guest

    And what is a "point and shoot" camera??

    Something small enough to fit in a pocket?
    Something that has a very short time from pocket to being ready
    (start-up time can be more than 3 or 4 seconds on many cameras)?
    Something that has less than 2Million pixels?
    No optical zoom?
    No digital zoom?
    Something a "serious" photographer would sneer at?

    ChrisJ, Apr 6, 2004
  15. John S

    David Chien Guest

    I'm going to check out the just-released Pentax Optio S40, which is $299, 4
    $278 at Costco.

    See Pentax Japan for sample images. Basically a S4i with AA batteries.

    ---

    For the best $300 or less digicam, I'd actually break the rule here,
    and do the techbargains.com Dell.com Canon S410 at $399 - 15% off -
    coupon = $307ish with free shipping.

    You'll get one of the world's best P&S digicams with image quality
    that other digicams can't beat, and a top rated digicam in every review
    out. (www.dpreview.com www.imaging-resource.com etc)

    What's a $7 difference, right?

    David Chien, Apr 6, 2004
  16. John S

    Ron Hunter Guest

    You should consider the Kodak DX4530. 5 mp and 3x zoom. Does nice work.

    Ron Hunter, Apr 7, 2004
  17. John S

    John Navas Guest

    In <c4uv2d$h2o$> on Tue, 06 Apr 2004 12:05:52 -0700,
    $399 - 15% = $340.
    Not true.
    It gets good reviews, but then so do other top-rated digicams.
    $40 difference.

    John Navas, Apr 7, 2004
  18. John S

    Vivek Guest

    I just got the S40 and am happy with its compactness. But the battery
    life is simply ridiculous. The 2 AAs lasted me less than a day for
    about 50-60 pictures. The manual does say that the battery life is
    worse if you take it to cold-er temperatures and we did take it to
    Tahoe.

    Also, I haven't figured out all the settings on this camera yet to
    find out the quality of the images. Some pictures come out very clear
    but others do not and appear out of focus. I am not sure if its the
    camera or I just took pictures with the wrong settings.

    Anyone else have any good/bad experiences with this camera.

    Size is amazingly small for this camera. Also, the zoom on this feels
    like its smaller than many 35mm point-and-shoot that I have used
    before.

    Vivek, Apr 13, 2004
  19. John S

    Tony Guest

    Vivke: You say that the battery life isn't so good. I'm
    wondering if the LCD screen was on during the whole time?
    Or did you use the viewfinder to take photo's.

    Tony, Apr 23, 2004