    taking such photos. Any other camera that can work better for such an use?

    Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

    Thanks for your time!

    Nikhil Deo, Jul 18, 2003

  2. Nikhil Deo

    Roger Guest

    Look at the Nikon 5400, a brand new model with incredible close up
    capability, as well as the ability to have an external flash, as the
    on-camera flash will be no good in close ups. In any case, even an external
    flash will be hard to use unless you have a cord that allows it off-camera.
    Canon makes such a cord, I don't know about Nikon.
    Roger

    Roger, Jul 18, 2003

  3. Nikhil Deo

    ZZ Guest

    ZZ, Jul 18, 2003
  4. Lighting for medical photography, especially close-up medical photography,
    is very problematic. If this is an important function of the camera, then
    TTL flash metering is crucial. In that regard, I would suggest the Olympus
    5050 with their FL40 TTL flash. I have used my Olympus OM2 and OM4 with TTL
    flash and the appropriate lenses for medical photography for years and TTL
    flash metering is the only way to go.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Jul 18, 2003
  5. Nikhil Deo

    Roger Guest

    Howard,
    I've been taking some photos of skin lesions and such. I find that a good
    bright tungsten light about 3-4 feet away, works well, setting the white
    balance on the camera accordingly. Flash without a softener like a big
    bounce from lumiquest.com or something like that, is just too harsh.
    Roger

    Roger, Jul 19, 2003
  6. That's a good way to do it. The best set up is a TTL metering ring flash on
    a macro lens, but I don't think there is anything like that for a reasonably
    priced digital camera. I have had good luck with the the Oly 5050 and fl40
    with diffuser. The metering seems quite good and you don't even have to use
    macro mode; you can just zoom in tight from about 3 feet away--seems to
    handle the flash better. Having said that, we also have used the method you
    describe on a regular digital camera and it also works well.

    Since we have a lot of people taking pictures of such lesions, we wanted to
    keep it as point-and-shoot as possible, hence the Oly.

    HMc

    Howard McCollister, Jul 19, 2003