Best Camera + Software for Remote Telephoto? (Cross Posted from r.p.d.slr-systems)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Guest, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi there

    I have a project which requires an SLR with a very long focal length
    lens mounted in a difficult to reach location. I would like help
    choosing a camera and lens that would allow me to take photos from a
    little distance away, connected with a data cable. Here are my
    detailed requirements:

    1) 1000mm (35mm equivalent) focal length at 12 Megapixels. (I need to
    see 500 dpi at 20 feet, but the field of view doesn't need to be any
    larger than 1 degree, so I won't be using all of those pixels)

    2) At most 5000mm minimum focusing distance

    3) On-screen preview at at least 3 frames per second (no need for
    capture at this speed, just preview). This will likely require that
    the shutter mirror lock-up.

    4) Perform from a PC, through USB or firewire, without access to the
    camera:
    *digital zoom (optical zoom will be fixed)
    *digital pan
    *focus
    *capture

    (The numbers are high because the camera is for remote visual
    inspections)

    I know I can get high end cameras (Fuji S3 Pro, Canon EOS 5D, Nikon
    D2S) and lenses (500mm telephoto with 2x crop ratio) to do this, but I
    don't know whether the 'remote capture' software that comes with these
    (used for studio sessions?) is up to the task.

    Can anyone with experience with remote software let me know? Should I
    be looking at high end digital video cameras with still capture
    instead?

    Thanks,
    Brendan

    Guest, Nov 23, 2005

  2. Guest

    Jim Guest

    Perhaps a troll? I don't know... but There are very few 12 mp
    cameras on the market, a Canon, a Nikon (and it was only announced
    this month) and a couple of Kodaks... these are all at the upper price
    range. A 1000mm lens is going to cost more than an small car. So,
    you are in the high end DSLR mode. Are going to mount a $15,000+
    camera and lens as a spy camera in an unattended location? Me thinks
    the spy camera has a short life span unless you get a second camer to
    spy on the first. Any of these cameras are capable of 3fps.. most 5
    fps. 3fps and 5fps don't require mirror lock up. My D70s does 3fps
    just fine without mirror lockup. No DSLR does preview.. it needs to
    take the photo first before the image is captured by the sensor.
    Nikon Capture Control does amazing things but there is no digital zoom
    in a DSLR, there is no pan ability (heck you need a motor and drive
    system to move the camera). focus is auto, and capture.. well thats a
    no brainer. I can't speak for the Canon software but I imagine its
    much the same

    The canon 12 mp and Kodak 12mp's are full frame there is no crop ratio.
    A 500mm 35 mm lens is just that on a digital, a 500mm lens. Period.
    Drop to a Nikon 6 or 8 mp camera and the conversion is 1.5.. so a 500mm
    lens is 750mm.

    So some prices? B&H..
    Canon EOS 5D 3695
    Canon 600mm F4 IS USM 6999 (Its the longest I can find)
    Canon 1.4x TC 289

    So you are up to about 11,000 grand for Canon... and about the same
    for Nikon. Kodak will run you much more.

    A 12mp Video camera? I don't think so... and no where near a 1000mm
    lens unless you are independently wealthy.

    Jim, Nov 23, 2005

  3. The 12MP Nikon is the D2x, and it's considerably older than you
    suggest. The one that was just announced, the D200, is 10MP.
    Not *that* bad. A 600mm f4 is going to cost more than a small car,
    but 1000mm lenses are usually slower and considerably cheaper.

    Actually, for this application he probably should look at Celestron
    telescopes -- some of which are even marketed for remote product
    inspection.
    Repeating from the quote above:

    Not a spy camera, he's inspecting products on an assembly line or some
    such, without getting in the way. So I don't think security will be
    his biggest problem.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Nov 23, 2005
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Nope, not a troll, or a spy! Like David said, the application is for
    assembly line visual inspections. Anyway, I think I've found my
    solution (which I posted to r.p.d.slr).

    Basically, I don't want a "commercial" camera. I want a "firewire
    inspection camera" like these:
    http://www.pixelink.com/products.asp?id=9, mounted on a scope like
    these: http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/zeiss_diascope.html. I won't
    have remote control of zoom or focus, but I'll have fast, full video
    preview, and high res captures from my PC.

    Sorry to distract. Sometimes it's difficult to know what products are
    out there, especially in the industrial market. Thanks anyway
    everyone.

    Brendan

    Guest, Nov 23, 2005