Best camera for web page design,email, and ebay auctions

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I've always insisted that the Sony Mavica floppy disk cameras are the best
    cameras for those that do web page design (like myself), ebay auctions, and
    other onscreen only uses.

    The Mavica has the advantage of outputting images that do not need to be
    reduced with Photoshop or other third party software, which decreases time, and
    increases productivity. I've uses Mavicas and am quite impressed. They have
    their faults as do all cameras.

    I'd like to hear what others say on this subject. Please if you are a graphic
    designer for a magazine or another print outlet, please do not use your
    standards to bash the Mavica, because its pitiful for your usage. Yes I am
    aware that floppy disk cameras are horrible for those working in the print
    industry. But must I remind you that a camera that outputs a 4 megabyte image
    is useless for those that do webpage design. If I had to upload 100 of these
    images to a website or ebay auctions, I'd spend countless time in photoshop.

    Thanks...

    John

    John, Oct 5, 2004

  2. John

    Robert Guest

    It takes only 30 sec in PS to change the size, it takes forever to download
    a floppy to my computer.

    Robert, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Don't look him in the eye and don't engage. He likes Sony Mavicas, Arnold
    Schwarzengger, and GW....Reagan should not have turned this man out of the
    asylum.

    Gene Palmiter, Oct 6, 2004
  4. John

    John Guest

    << It takes only 30 sec in PS to change the size, it takes forever to download
    a floppy to my computer. >>

    It takes more than 30 seconds. This all depends on the type of computer,
    processor speed, bus speed, RAM, hard disk speed, etc...

    It does not take long to download with my floppy disk drive. perhaps you have
    a cheap one. I recently bought a 4X USB external. Man does it fly!

    John

    John, Oct 6, 2004
  5. John

    Fred B. Guest

    4mb files are not useless.

    Photoshop and many other programs can compress the image to a good image
    that is less than 100kb.

    I take the other side, and think floppies are useless, being so small.

    Digital cameras can also reduce file size by adjusting image size and
    compression.

    Fred B., Oct 6, 2004
  6. John

    Robert Guest

    It actually takes much less that 30 seconds to resample the image on pretty
    much any of the newer computers, unless you are using one of the older,
    2-floppy systems ;-) But, you don't even have to. Most newer, better,
    smaller, lighter, faster cameras will let you capture in the poorer Mavica
    resolution, and then all you need to do is transfer them from you CF or xD
    card, that plugs directly into most new computers, at much faster rates that
    the floppy.

    Robert, Oct 6, 2004
  7. John

    John Guest

    << 4mb files are not useless.

    Photoshop and many other programs can compress the image to a good image
    that is less than 100kb.

    I take the other side, and think floppies are useless, being so small.

    Digital cameras can also reduce file size by adjusting image size and
    compression. >>

    For serious design work yes floppies are useless. However for small web and
    email graphics, I dont think so.

    John, Oct 6, 2004
  8. John

    John Guest

    << It actually takes much less that 30 seconds to resample the image on pretty
    much any of the newer computers, unless you are using one of the older,
    2-floppy systems ;-) But, you don't even have to. Most newer, better,
    smaller, lighter, faster cameras will let you capture in the poorer Mavica
    resolution, and then all you need to do is transfer them from you CF or xD
    card, that plugs directly into most new computers, at much faster rates that
    the floppy. >>

    No doubt.

    But I believe the original question was. Reccomend a camera that works best
    for web page design work? Many people use the Mavica so obviusly it works for
    the thousands that use it.

    Many people use the floppy disks in the Mavica. Surely they must see their
    advantage? Yes I know they are more than worthless for serious design work.
    But for web page images I think they are the best. The Mavica takes great
    shots (perhaps you have used an older model).

    I have yet to use a fancy Olympus camera with a email/web mode.

    John

    John, Oct 6, 2004
  9. John

    David Hearn Guest

    I have a basic (ie. cheap, was 150 GBP, and now can be obtained for less
    than 99 GBP) 2MP camera which outputs image files (at full, 'fine' quality)
    at around 600k. I can reduce the size and quality if I want which would
    make the images much more reasonable (at least half the size, and 1/3 comes
    to mind - though can't be sure). Uploading of the files are quite quick via
    USB, and if I used an external USB2 card reader then it just zips through.
    Having it on a memory card allows lots of images to be stored (more than the
    1.4MB of a floppy, although I'm unaware of the actual file sizes from a
    Mavica)

    There are many (some free) tools out there which can resize/recompress
    images in large batches without having to load the app first. For example,
    you can select a folder and right click and do "Send to <resizing app>". In
    fact, XP includes a Resize Images option already in the 'Right Click' menu -
    although I think the smallest size is 640x480. The resizing of a lot of
    files may take only a few seconds - especially if they were captured in the
    lowest resolution. You can even delete the original files if you wish to
    only keep the low-res/quality ones. As it is a batch process it is very
    easy to do anything between 1 and thousands of files at the same time. Yes,
    the time it takes for the app to do the processing will vary - but I would
    imagine that even if it took a minute or two (unlikely in my experience of
    resizing batches of 100x 600k files on a 1GHz Athlon).

    One major reason I'd try to avoid floppy cameras is simply because of the
    reliability of floppies. I've often found them to just stop working at
    random points (working one day, not working another).

    I haven't recomended a camera - rather tried to show that if you go for a
    low MP count camera (cheap and makes images smaller), there are processes
    out there which shouldn't change your workflow significantly or add much
    inconvenience (one extra step resizing a whole folder taking up to a minute
    or two).

    Hopefully that'll be acceptable to you.

    Thanks

    David

    David Hearn, Oct 6, 2004
  10. John

    Robert Guest

    And I'm sure thousands? Tens of thousands? don't, so?
    Your opinion, you are definitely entitled to it. As long as you remember
    that's all it is :) Look, if the Mavica works for you, great. Keep using
    it. Why do you *need* validation from others, if you are so certain that's
    the best tool? And, even the floppy Mavica FD200 supports 1600x1200 images.
    I guess I don't understand. What resolution is it that you are using with
    your camera, that's so unique?

    ~R~

    Robert, Oct 7, 2004
  11. There is no "best camera" for web-page or ebay usage etc. With even the 2
    megapixel entry-level cameras, you are going to want to downsize the image
    before putting it on the Internet.

    And thing is, the Mavica with its floppy-disk storage may well be the WORST
    of them, because more & more computers don't even include a floppy--none of
    my 3 have one, at all--and so more & more computers won't even accept your
    camera at all in that regard.

    And thing is, there is "batch resize" software running rampant--that is,
    software that can create perfect webpage-sized (or email-sized) copies of
    the original. Even the free program Infranview does batch resizing.

    And also any digital camera can have the quality/size settings set low
    enough to not require downsizing anyway.

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Oct 7, 2004
  12. John

    Mark Johnson Guest

    As others have suggested, you only need one of the early 1-2MP
    cameras. Those will produce OUTSTANDING quality for webpage design.

    If you want a real bargain, and I mean quality for the price, look on
    ebay under the keyword "C4040 camera". I don't think they top $150
    now. It's a STEAL! at that price.

    Mark Johnson, Oct 8, 2004