    shots but very poor night ones. Budget would be upto $400.

    Any info would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Henry, Oct 2, 2007

  2. Henry

    Johnny Lava Guest

    dSLR with a fast lens like a 50mm f 1.4.

    Somebody!

    Johnny Lava, Oct 2, 2007

  3. Henry

    Ali Guest

    What do you mean by night shots? What are you shooting at night?

    What is it you don't like about the night shots? Noise? Rabbit in the
    headlights? Motion blur?

    Ali, Oct 2, 2007
  4. Henry

    Henry Guest

    I'm mostly taking photos of people and backgrounds lit up by
    artificial light. In the past, I've found that the photos are blurried
    as the camera needs a couple seconds to process the photo. I know a
    tripod would help, but I don't want to carry it wherever I go. I am
    hoping there's a camera out there (preferably slim and compact) that
    can adjust for lowlight.

    Thanks

    Henry, Oct 2, 2007
  5. Henry

    Ali Guest

    Sorry, not going to happen.

    As Johnny said, an SLR with a fast lens. Tripod won't help.

    Ali, Oct 2, 2007
  6. Henry

    Peter Irwin Guest

    As far as I know, none of the compacts can do this
    as well as a film camera with an f/2 lens loaded
    with Tri-X. But all current digital SLRs with an
    f/2 or faster lens are better at it than a film
    camera with pushed Tri-X. (The Canon 5D is much
    better.)

    Get a DLSR if you can, though a film camera
    with fast film and a fast lens will still work ok.
    You could use an Olympus Stylus Epic (still $80
    at B&H) and Tmax 3200 film. (Make sure you turn
    off the flash.)

    Peter.

    Peter Irwin, Oct 2, 2007
  7. Henry

    Scott W Guest

    You might want to look at the Fuji F40fd, I have one of these and it
    does far better then most point and shoots in low light. It is not as
    good as a DSLR but Costco has them for something like $230.

    Even a cheap DSLR with a good lens will blow it out of the water
    however. When I want good low light photos I use my Canon 350D and a
    28mm f/2.8 lens, not the best DLSR or lens for low light but way better
    then any P&S.

    Scott

    Scott W, Oct 2, 2007
  8. Henry

    Paul Furman Guest

    Not slim but relatively small
    Used Nikon D50 $400 (Or Canon equivalent)
    Used 28mm f/2.8 lens $100

    If you can ask the people to hold still, a stabilized P&S should do OK
    but those aren't cheap or tiny.

    Paul Furman, Oct 2, 2007
  9. Henry

    The Bobert Guest

    Have you considered a monopod or perhaps a faster lens? 1/60 is about the
    slowest shutter that the user can effectively hold the camera steady. With
    1/30 you takes yer chances.

    The Bobert, Oct 2, 2007
  10. Henry

    Guest Guest

    A Sony H9 (or if you can still find one, a used Sony F717).
    Pure magic for low-light or even no-light shots.

    Guest, Oct 3, 2007
  11. Henry

    Toby Guest

    The best that presently exists is the Fuji f31fd, if you can still find it,
    in terms of shooting decent high ISO shots. The present model is the f50fd
    which is twice the megapix (12 to the 6 of the 31) but with more somewhat
    more noise at high ISOs.

    Tobh

    Toby, Oct 3, 2007
  12. Glen,
    Ignore the troll. Many others have given good advice.
    The key to low light performance in digital cameras is large
    pixels. DSLRs currently have larger pixels than P&S cameras.
    A low-end 6-megapixel DSLR generally has great low
    light performance and you can probably buy one used
    for a pretty low price. For more info, see:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter

    (And stand back, the foul-mouthed troll will launch another
    attack filed with lies and hate--ignore it.)

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 3, 2007
  13. Henry

    Guest Guest

    <SPAM LINK SNIPPED>

    What's the matter Roger? Not getting enough suckers to visit your misinformation
    web-site and you're losing all that money trying to sell your tourist quality
    photography? Photography taken with an $8,000 DSLR that was recently shown to
    have HALF the image quality and resolution of a $400 P&S camera?

    LOL!!!

    That just bugs you to no end doesn't it. People are posting images taken with a
    $400 P&S camera that beats any photography you have ever taken with the best
    DSLRs and the best L-glass available.

    Don't worry Roger, anyone would feel like a fool in your shoes, we understand
    why you do too. You'll get over it.

    Guest, Oct 3, 2007
  14. Henry

    frederick Guest

    Can you please post links to samples of "no-light" shots you
    have taken.
    Mine lose too much detail when NR is applied:
    http://i22.tinypic.com/bdk5dy.jpg

    frederick, Oct 3, 2007
  15. See? It has so much hate it just can't stop.
    Since you asked, for all to see, visit my crappy pictures at:
    http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Oct 3, 2007
  16. sheepdog 2007, Oct 3, 2007
  17. I have a Nikon L5 that does very well for a P&S. The biggest advantage
    when buying into the Nikon system is the compatibility factor. That is,
    your logo-festooned ball cap, belt buckle, T-shirt, pens, etc., will
    still work fine once you upgrade to a D3!

    sheepdog 2007, Oct 3, 2007
  18. The latter can be fairly inexpensive. Panasonic for one has been putting
    stabilizers in even their entry-level models for a couple of years now.
    So, it's possible to get a stabilized camera for $150 list, and probably
    cheaper for an actual street price.

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Oct 3, 2007
  19. Henry

    Henry Guest

    Thanks for all the great advice.

    What do people think of the Sony Cybershot 8.1MP Digital Camera
    (DSCT100)? Supposedly it as an ISO upto 3200 but I'm not sure about
    the quality at that level. I like it because it's compact but it does
    have a small lens.

    Any advice?

    Thanks

    Henry, Oct 3, 2007