    system will be about 25% more. Memory (film) batteries, fast charger,
    filters, etc.
    JA - ex MA now NV

    J. A. Mc., Sep 25, 2003

  2. Greg

    D H Guest

    I agree. I bought two 256MB MemStickPro when I ordered my Sony DV1,
    which came with a 32MB stick to begin with. You will need the space. Don't
    sell yourself short to save a few bucks. It may be the difference between
    getting a shot and missing it. It pays to buy as big a card as you can
    reasonably afford.
    I would have to disagree, at least to say it all depends on your
    expectations. If you travel to places that are not where it is practical to
    carry a camcorder, the digicam can be a blast. I'm a mountain biker, and it
    can be greatly entertaining as well as a learning tool to get video of
    myself and/or fellow bikers maneuvering through difficult terrain. My Sony
    DV1 takes decent enough movie clips to even be useful right on the spot to
    show why someone is having a hard time maintaining balance or shifting their
    weight etc to be able to ride a switchback or other obstacle. I would likely
    never carry the camcorder all the way up the mountain to get those shots,
    but taking the camera is easy, and shooting the video is easy too.
    I think this is the big advantage all the way around. You are much more
    likely to
    get the video in the first place if you have the camera onhand. It might be
    video of a bear or other wild creature, again, just because you had the
    camera with you. How many times are you going to carry a camcorder out there
    to do that? Actually, we went whalewatching on vacation right after I got
    our Sony, and the video of the whales is fantastically entertaining. Not as
    fine as a camcorder would have been but still great, and much more likely to
    get seen on my computer than stuck in a closet on a tape.
    I wholeheartedly agree with all of this. Mind you, I am just a newbie
    when it comes to digicams, having had my Sony only about a month, but I have
    shot probably 25-35 movie clips and somewhere in the neighborhood of 600
    pictures in that time, obviously deleting a lot of those, but keeping way
    more than I would have cared to pay for getting printed. The hidden costs
    swelled my $570 camera purchase to over $1000 right off the bat, but I am
    glad I was able to and did bite the bullet and get all those things I needed
    to get started. (I have yet to buy any image editing program, but do have
    some inexpensive software that suffices for the short term, since I am not
    even printing anything yet. I am already researching and shopping for which
    program to buy, and I'm sure it will have to be one of the cheaper programs,
    about $100 or so, I hope.

    D H, Sep 25, 2003

  3. Greg

    Greg Guest

    <snip>

    Thanks alot for the insight Guenter. I really appreciate it!

    -Greg

    Greg, Sep 25, 2003
  4. Greg

    Greg Guest

    You guys are really good in here! I am feeling much more comfortable
    after reading all of these comments, and I appreciate not being
    trashed for being a "newbie". I'm sure that my questions have been
    asked many times here and I appreciate your patience!

    -Greg in MA

    Greg, Sep 26, 2003
  5. (Greg) wrote in
    What? You're a newbie? Wait a second, I have my bag of trash somewhere
    around here. Just hold on for a minute. I'll be right back.

    Constantinople, Sep 26, 2003
  6. Greg

    Ender W. Guest

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 03:03:21 GMT, "DigitalCameraBasics"

    I stood right there one day while the Best Buy's Sales Rep told my
    mother that the definitely WOULD fail within the first two years, and
    that she had better buy the Service Plan. These guys are the worst.

    GH

    Ender W., Sep 26, 2003
  7. Greg

    Proctor Guest

    Sure! These SLIME BAGS told me I should buy the plan to get a FREE extra
    large battery. Get home and call the 800 number and NO THEY DON'T....Bunch
    of LIARS!

    Proctor, Sep 26, 2003
  8. Greg

    JPS Guest

    In message <[email protected]>,
    My Sony F707 at full telephoto and with the 1.7x Sony TC is definitely
    sharper than my Canon 75-300mm IS zoom at 300mm, and I'm sure many other
    cheap 35mm telephotos as well.

    I would dare to say that in the small area of the focal plane
    represented by a 5mp non-DSLR, the Sony lens has far more resolving
    power than all but the best telephoto lenses for 35mm cameras (L series,
    in Canon terms). It is apparently much easier and cheaper to accomplish
    extreme focus in a smaller area, than moderate focus over a large area.

    JPS, Sep 28, 2003
  9. Greg

    JPS Guest

    In message <bkr9q6$4v847$-berlin.de>,
    Actually, some of the still digitals have pretty decent video capture,
    better than VHS; the Fuji s602z does, and the soon-to-be-released Sony
    F828 will (if you use Memory Stick Pro cards).

    JPS, Sep 28, 2003
  10. Greg

    bj286 Guest

    RAW can be much better than JPEG, more dynamic range and 12bit color.
    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#raw
    4x is not much better than 3x. You want a tele converter.
    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#tele
    5MP is only 13% better than 4MP.
    These are not much better. You want phase detection auto focus.
    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

    bj286, Oct 9, 2003
  11. Greg

    PiZzazZ Guest

    I assume that 13% comes out of square root of 1.25 minus one.

    This is ridiculous. It is like saying 2 acres is only 41% larger than 1
    acre.

    PiZzazZ, Oct 9, 2003
  12. Greg

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Only because some people don't know how to calculate 'larger than'.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 9, 2003
  13. Greg

    bj286 Guest

    When we compare 5MP to 4MP, we are comparing resolution. We compare
    resolution in one dimension. 5MP has 13% more lines per picture height
    than 4MP. 5MP has 13% more resolution than 4MP.

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/

    bj286, Oct 9, 2003
  14. Greg

    PiZzazA Guest

    Lines? Are you talking about analog TV or digital image?

    For the same image, the more pixels, the more the resolution.

    PiZzazA, Oct 9, 2003
  15. Greg

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    So if I could fit 1000 coins in a rectangle and resolve the dates on
    them with a 4mp, I couldn't resolve 1250 of them on a 5mp, all other
    things being equal? I could only resolve 1130 of them?

    JPS, Oct 10, 2003
  16. Greg

    bj286 Guest

    Lines, per picture height, is the standard resolution measurement for
    everything, TV, film, digital, etc.

    bj286, Oct 10, 2003
  17. Greg

    PiZzazA Guest

    So if I take a picutre vertically or horizonally would yield different
    resolution? Sorry. Just makes no sense to me.

    PiZzazA, Oct 10, 2003
  18. Greg

    bj286 Guest

    Vertical and horizontal resolution can be both expressed, if they are different.

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/

    bj286, Oct 11, 2003
  19. Vertical and horizontal resolution can be both expressed, if they are different.

    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/[/QUOTE]

    Resolution is a linear measurement (e.g., line pairs tat are resolved per
    millimeter), not an area measurement.

    Marvin Margoshes, Oct 13, 2003
  20. Greg

    PiZzazA Guest

    You are talking about optical resolution. Yes, in optical world, a simple
    measurement of line pairs of any direction can determine the resolution. But
    that is different in digital sensor resolution. You may have different
    solutions on the x-plane and y-plane. Therefore, it is no longer linear.

    PiZzazA, Oct 13, 2003