Best Buy Recommends Blu-Ray Over HD DVD

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Tarkus, Feb 11, 2008.

  1. Tarkus

    Tarkus Guest

    http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/apwire/8471c2d435a991994577cc3308067742.htm

    Best Buy Plans to 'Prominently Showcase' Sony's Blu-Ray Format Instead
    of Toshiba's HD DVD
    February 11, 2008: 04:24 PM EST

    NEW YORK (Associated Press) - In another sign the high-definition DVD
    race nearing the end, electronics retailer Best Buy Co. said Monday it
    will "prominently showcase" Blu-ray hardware and software products
    beginning in early March.

    The electronics retailer did say it will continue to carry an assortment
    of Toshiba Corp.'s HD DVD products for consumers who want to buy them,
    but it will "prominently showcase" Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray format.

    Earlier Monday, online movie rental company Netflix said it is switching
    exclusively to Blu-ray as its high-definition format.

    Toshiba and Sony have been vying to set the standard for high-definition
    DVDs for several years, but the race is tilting toward Sony.

    Walt Disney Co., Sony Corp.'s Sony Pictures, News Corp.'s Twentieth
    Century Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer have endorsed Blu-ray. Paramount and
    Universal Studios publish their high-definition DVDs in Toshiba's HD DVD
    format. Many consumers have held off on buying a next-generation DVD
    player until the dominant format is decided.

    Best Buy's shares rose 67 cents to $47.37. American Depositary Shares of
    Sony rose 51 cents to $43.50.

    Tarkus, Feb 11, 2008

  2. Tarkus

    Steven Guest

    I would say they have been doing this for sometime now

    Steven, Feb 11, 2008

  3. Tarkus

    Alpha Guest

    Yes, and with disastrous results. Although there is now one format,
    everyone I know understands that Blu Ray is a faulty product.

    Alpha, Feb 11, 2008
  4. Tarkus

    Tarkus Guest

    Even Nurse Ratched?

    Tarkus, Feb 11, 2008
  5. Tarkus

    Tow Guest

    People really trust Bestbuy? That's news to me.

    Tow, Feb 12, 2008
  6. Tarkus

    usenet Guest

    Best buy like all retailers is going to recommend whatever costs more,thats
    how they make their $,im sure not buying the argument thats its "clearly" a
    better format cuz we all know thats bs

    usenet, Feb 12, 2008
  7. So you have a pretty small circle of associates.

    grant kinsley, Feb 12, 2008
  8. Tarkus

    Tarkus Guest

    They obviously trust them enough to shop there. It's the biggest chain
    of its kind in the country.

    Tarkus, Feb 13, 2008