    on better/best books.

    Thanks in advance,
    brad

    newsgroup.corp.com, Jun 1, 2004

  2. newsgroup.corp.com

    Scraggy Guest

    Silly question perhaps, but, have you actually read it yet? Perhaps read it
    THEN come back to clarify anything you don't understand. At the moment it's
    one of those " How long is a piece of string?" type questions

    Scraggy, Jun 1, 2004

  3. newsgroup.corp.com

    why? Guest

    Best to ask before spending money.
    There isn't one better/best, and IMHO never wll be. Basic level books
    are usually so unspecific it won't help you with anything you want to
    know. Otherwise some of the books considered 'bibles' / University level
    on the subject at USD $60 plus, means you have to buy a TCP/IP , Switch
    and Ethernet titles.

    What sort of thing are you looking for, Windows networking, Other OS,
    How to network PCs , How to theory?

    There are lots of networking sites, documentation, examples and more to
    be found using www.google.com

    As for NFD, I still have the 3rd Ed. laying around. It mentions many
    things and covers the basic terms, applications, backup, cable,
    permissions, NOS. The cartoons are good.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jun 1, 2004
  4. newsgroup.corp.com

    °Mike° Guest

    Whichever one teaches *you* the most, in
    the best way possible. Read and learn...

    °Mike°, Jun 1, 2004
  5. Thanks for the help everyone!

    I want to learn networking on the Windows platform.

    The book will be in any day and i'll go over it a few times and when i'm
    done i should be ready for more advanced books.

    thanks,

    brad

    newsgroup.corp.com, Jun 1, 2004
  6. Is that one beyond you or beneath you? :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 1, 2004
  7. newsgroup.corp.com

    why? Guest

    In that case maybe one of the MCSE exam books / study guides then. Once
    you have got the very basics down using NFD. The MCSE guides concentrate
    on specifically Windows, oddly enough :) step-by-step and screenshots.

    These usually include overview chapters and do go into more of the
    whatever specifics of Windows configuration there is. But again it's
    mainly Simple hub/swotch LAN, WAN, Server / Permissions / DNS / DHCP /
    AD.

    I know I didn't expand any of the terms.

    If you do wish to buy a book set perhaps something like the NT4/2000
    Resource kit, I know it's old and dated hopefully it means it's very
    cheap. There is a Networking Guide and Server/Internet, all with example
    configurations. This would possibly cover what you would normally buy in
    several books.

    As for MCSE books maybe something like, (again a bit dated, but these
    are what I have) have a look for the current shelf titles should be
    similar (exam number may be different)

    MCSE Windows 2000 Network Infrastructure Training Guide
    Exam 70-216
    publisher - New Riders
    isbn - 0-7357-0966-1
    LOL

    Don't forget about www.google.com
    Results 1 - 10 of about 92,900 English pages for
    beginners networking guides windows
    (0.27 seconds)

    http://networking.ittoolbox.com/

    http://www.homenethelp.com/

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/
    Troubleshooting & Tutorials

    http://www.webopedia.com/
    The only online dictionary and search engine you need for computer and
    Internet technology definitions.

    http://www.pcstats.com/beginners.cfm

    http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/beginnersguides/

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Jun 1, 2004
  8. newsgroup.corp.com

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    look for books titled "CCNA"
    i first learned by reading instruction manuals for switches\hubs\routers.
    knowing what products are available and options\cost will be very
    educational.

    learning to design network infrastructure was on the job training.
    unix was involved. although linux is optional, i highly recommend learning
    it.

    it's kinda hard picking out a "best" book, considering that the local
    library has many.

    -a|ex

    127.0.0.1, Jun 1, 2004