    Sorry if asked often, but searching for new virus program, is E-Trust worth
    subscribing to versus other programs. Thanks for any input.
    Steve D.

    Stephen, Jul 1, 2004

  2. Stephen

    GTS Guest

    Yes. It's a good program that I have used for several years and recommended
    and installed for many clients. It's less resource intensive than some of
    the best known and never (in my experience) causes system conflicts or
    problems. It's updated almost daily with small and fast downloads.

    GTS, Jul 1, 2004

  3. Stephen

    Global_Killa Guest

    Never tried E-Trust, I use Quick Heal. Found this to be a nice anti-virus,
    has deleted viruses as soon as they have been downloaded. Uses very little
    resources while running in the background, and even supports Macro viruses
    for Microsoft Office.

    It has an auto-update, so you don't have to worry about new viruses.
    Although, it can detected viruses that aren't in its database.

    Another one that a lot of people seem to talk about is AVG. Haven't tried
    this one myself, since I'm happy with the one I have, never had any
    problems.

    Global_Killa, Jul 1, 2004
  4. Stephen

    ric Guest

    I have been using Protector Plus for about four years. It hasn't
    let me down yet.

    http://www.pspl.com/

    ric, Jul 1, 2004
  5. Stephen

    Thor Guest

    Etrust is awesome, but beware if you only have a dialup connection because
    their update FTP server has low tolerance for slow connections, and
    frequently times out during the automated update cycle, often leaving dialup
    users dangerously out of date with their virus protection. Broadband
    connections seem to work perfectly reliable though. It's also one of the
    least intrusive, least impacting on system resources of any antivirus
    program I've seen in the last serveral years. However, the "Etrust
    EZ-Antivirus" program they have that is marketed to the general
    consumer/single user market, may use a different update server, and may not
    have the same problems as the corporate Etrust version does with dialup
    connections. As long as you have broadband I highly recommend it.

    Thor, Jul 1, 2004
  6. Stephen

    Jim Berwick Guest

    We use it in the office and I don't have any major problems with it.
    Doesn't bog down the system, doesn't interfere with my day to day
    activities.

    Jim Berwick, Jul 1, 2004
  7. Stephen

    Unknown Guest

    The only two I go anywhere near:

    1) Paid for. Mcafee Virusscan. It is better than Nortons for a few reasons
    but the most telling one is that Nortons wont find a virus/whatever if it is
    nested deep enough whereas Mcafee will. Just be aware that if you use
    Virusscan, be careful about using any other Mcafee product at the same time.
    It has been a long time of problems that only recently seem to be being
    cleared by them. I use Virusscan and Spamkiller 5, both of which work great,
    independently. However, working together on the same machine, Spamkiller
    has, in the past, been killed and the machine grinds to a halt because of
    the actions of Virusscan and Spamkiller 5 not getting on. This seems not to
    be a problem today (latest V5 update applied only yesterday) but waiting a
    bit longer to be sure.

    2) Free. AVG. It isn't great but if your system doesn't have a virus now, it
    is OK at keeping you virus free.

    Unknown, Jul 1, 2004
  8. Stephen

    mcp6453 Guest

    I love and recommend ETrust, but it misses viruses that
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com finds and eliminates. False positives or
    missed negatives?

    mcp6453, Jul 2, 2004
  9. Stephen

    Thor Guest

    Occasionally all AV programs miss a virus or two that others pick up. That
    seems to be a regular occurrence throughout the history of AV programs, and
    I've seen posts over the years for just about every major AV program that
    claim one missed a virus that another caught. When in doubt, check the ICSA
    Labs website for it's monthly test reports on every major AV program out
    there. Here is their testing criteria page. Also look at Virus Bulletin,
    which does some pretty in-depth testing too.

    http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communities/antivirus/certification/avscancrit.shtml

    http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml

    Thor, Jul 2, 2004
  10. Stephen

    Trent© Guest

    That's been my experience also...with the Sasser.b virus. Norton,
    McAfee, and Etrust didn't see it. Housecall did.

    One minor annoyance about Etrust...

    You can't install and run it unless yer connected to the Internet. It
    won't let you run the program until you've downloaded the definitions.
    This makes it pretty much useless if you already have a pesky virus or
    worm on the machine.

    They should include the latest definition with their latest program
    version.

    My current procedure is to run Etrust on the machine...and follow up
    once a week with a thorough check with Housecalls.

    Hope ya'll have a nice 4th of July weekend...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jul 3, 2004
  11. Stephen

    Trent© Guest

    I've used Etrust for years. In general, its probably the best out
    there.

    They have not included ISafe...which checks incoming email.

    Its well worth the money.

    Trent©, Jul 3, 2004
  12. Stephen

    anna keynow Guest

    http:www.grisoft.com

    Free to home users, I have been very pleased with it so far. I've
    used it since the Cai outfit went pay only. In my experience both
    products have shown themselves to be superior to Norton although, I
    haven't used that since my years worth that came with this system, ran
    out.
    I was about to say how crap Norton was just now because of the number
    of people who have asked me to "fix this - I think I've got a virus"
    but then I realised that a lot of the problems (all perhaps) are
    related to the blasé atitude of these people who think I'm being
    melodramatic when I say, "the moment you get your new PC on line, got
    straight to the windows update service and get the neccesary patches
    and go to the virus programme's website and get the latest definitions
    before doing a damned thing on the 'net".
    After the last one, I've decided I'm not going to clear malware off
    anyone's computer without some compensation because I've noticed an
    atitude of "hey I'll just ring anna keynow because she fixed this last
    time", or similar sentiment. Something I'm sure a lot of you are
    familiar with but, sorry... I digress.

    My point is, after much rambling, that I found AVG to be very good for
    the average moron... oops, I mean average ignoramus... shittt... I
    mean home user. (could've used 'del', I guess) <g>
    -+Anna+-
    PS: Anyone used Stinger.exe as a malware removal tool? I used it for
    the first time recently and it cleaned up Zafi very easily.

    anna keynow, Jul 3, 2004
  13. Stephen

    VWWall Guest

    Thor--Have you tried the ultimate boot cd from:?

    http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

    It looks like it might be handy, since many PCs don't have a floppy to
    boot from.

    Virg Wall

    VWWall, Jul 3, 2004
  14. Stephen

    len gardener Guest

    g'day stephen,

    i've found e-trust to be the best value for money program to date, it
    has worked well for me over a number of years, hasn't let me down yet
    as bigger name programs did in the past.

    len

    snipped
    --
    happy gardening

    my e/mail addies have spam filters you should know what to delete before you send.

    len gardener, Jul 3, 2004
  15. Stephen

    Trent© Guest

    You can easily create a boot CD with Nero, Virg.

    But, more often than not, a bootable CD is more of a hindrance than a
    help.

    However, I'm sure Thor carries many additional programs with him on
    CD. I know that I do.

    Trent©, Jul 4, 2004
  16. Stephen

    Thor Guest

    Yes, I have that. Thanks anyway! And yes it is very handy sometimes.

    Thor, Jul 4, 2004
  17. Stephen

    Thor Guest

    The one I use is the business-class/corporate version, and it's simply
    called "E-Trust anivirus" rather than "E-trust EZ Antivirus" which is the
    consumer-grade downloadable version. The corporate version has unlimited
    updates, I.E. no annual subscription needed for updates. Also the corporate
    version supports network distribution of updates, and can act as a host for
    other machines on the network using Etrust, as a central point to acquire
    definition updates, rather than all the machines on the network phoning home
    to CA for the updates. BTW, the version on mine is 7.0.0402. I got mine
    because my main distributer sent out a copy to all their dealers as a
    promotion, and it's also standard on all the machines they custom build for
    me. So all my customers who buy a system from me get a good AV program
    without the need to renew any subscriptions every year. However, as I stated
    before, CA has a real problem with their update server when dialup users try
    to get their updates these days. It started about January/February of this
    year. Have complained to CA, and my distributer, but it still is a big
    problem. Now, If my customers uses dialup internet, I install Avast for
    them, and show them how to register for the free 14 months of use, rather
    than recommend E-trust. If they use broadband, then it's Etrust, hands-down.
    Using the version I have, it comes with the definitions that were compiled
    with the program installer at the time it was released, which of course
    would be drastically out of date. However, one can simply download the
    definition updater programs (which contain the definition files) and store
    them on the CD alongside the Etrust installer. That way when I need to use
    it to scan a system, I just install Etrust, then immediately run the
    updaters I pre-downloaded and put on the CD before going out on a call. Then
    I have a fully up-to date AV program installed, with no need to have a
    customer's system access the net for downloads. I don't need to use the
    E-trust built in updater to install definition updates. They can be
    downloaded and installed separately. Norton offers a similar method.

    http://www3.ca.com/support/vicdownload/SignDownload.aspx?CID=49737

    Thor, Jul 4, 2004
  18. Stephen

    Trent© Guest

    Trent©, Jul 4, 2004
  19. Stephen

    Trent© Guest

    One thing you might be interested in, Thor...

    The updated definitions for the 6.2.x versions are quite small. The
    largest I've gotten so far was about 150k...most are about 50 or so.

    This version might be good for your dial-up customers.

    Trent©, Jul 4, 2004
  20. Stephen

    Thor Guest

    I'll keep that in mind. Even the incremental updates for Etrust (my version)
    push often are ~700K. Right now, the only reason I havent tried EZ in those
    cases, is because Avast is totally free. All you have to do is register the
    software on their site, and it's free for 14 months, at which time, you only
    need re-register and you are good for another 14 months. Avast's updates are
    really tiny as well. Taking only about 15-30 seconds even on dialup.

    Thor, Jul 4, 2004