    Anyone do a lot of B&W printing for digital photo's? Are these HP's with
    the optional cartridge for B&W worth getting for serious B&W printing?

    TIA

    Glen S, Nov 23, 2004

  2. Glen S

    MJJ Guest

    Was very impressed by the quality output of the Canon Pixma IP5000.
    It's fast, gives you double-sided printing and prints CD directly
    (tho' I'm not sure about the US version)and reasonably priced.
    It has 5 inks only, 1 black and 1 "colour" black so it's cheaper to
    run than a true photo printer. And it gives very good results but I
    haven't tested the black, I must say.

    MJJ, Nov 23, 2004

  3. Glen S

    bob Guest

    I've never done any testing, but it seems like this is one area where
    systems like the Fuji Frontier would really shine. Having 255 greys would
    almost have to do a better job than however many you get on the HP.

    Or is that just a black cartridge? If that's the case it's like printing on
    a laser printer.

    Bob

    bob, Nov 24, 2004
  4. Glen S

    C J Campbell Guest

    The Epson Stylus Photo R800 is an eight cartridge printer that includes a
    gloss cartridge. The gloss prevents the 'bronzing' of black and white photos
    that is common in inkjet printers. It does the best black and white photos
    of any printer that I have seen.

    C J Campbell, Nov 24, 2004
  5. Glen S

    jj Guest

    Most of my pro pals who've gone to digital printing swear by the Epson
    2200. It sounds like the R800 is a less expensive version that still
    uses the two black cartridges, like the 2200. One thing the R800 won't
    do is print on paper larger than 8.5" wide. Reviers like the prints
    better than on the 2200, but not as much as the (cheaper) R300.

    Reviews:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/Epson_Stylus_Photo_R800/4505-3156_7-30608012.html

    jj, Nov 24, 2004