    I am not looking for a cheap router but I don't need the best router for
    what I am doing. I just need a mid-grade router.

    Any suggestions?

    Patrick Ruff, Apr 16, 2005

  2. Patrick Ruff

    BobC Guest

    Depends what you are doing with it. Your question is like asking, What is
    the best all around vehicle that you can buy ? I am not looking for a cheap
    vehicle but I don't need the best vehicle for
    what I am doing. I just need a mid-grade vehicle.

    BobC, Apr 16, 2005

  3. Patrick Ruff

    kg7poe Guest

    I like a linksys myself. I got the wireless one so if I get someone
    over with a wireless laptop I can turn it on.

    kg7poe, Apr 16, 2005
  4. Patrick Ruff

    Jack Cartetr Guest

    As far as brands go, I've had nothing but headaches with my D-Link. I'm
    about to buy a Linksys, which has worked like a champ for two friends. And
    as soon as I get it set up, I'm going to take great pleasure in placing my
    D-Link in my driveway and running over it with my Jeep Wrangler.

    Jack Cartetr, Apr 18, 2005
  5. Patrick Ruff

    Cliff Cheng Guest

    It depends on what applications you are running. Zyxel P-334WT is a good
    router and not expensive either. I use this one to replace Netgear RP614 and
    Linksys BEF81SR. It also supports multi-NATs if you have multiple WAN IP
    addresses and it is wireless too.

    Cliff Cheng, Apr 18, 2005
  6. Patrick Ruff

    PhilG Guest

    You could go with something like the Linksys WRT54G or GS. Then go to the
    Sveasoft website and get the third party firmware for it. This will
    increase the routers capabilities to that of a much more expensive router.
    Linksys firmware has been put in the public domain and some third party
    programmers are have increased the routers capability to match the actual
    chipset used to construct the router.

    PhilG, Apr 19, 2005
  7. Patrick Ruff

    Rob Guest

    I second this recommendation.

    Rob, Apr 19, 2005
  8. He needs a Linksys WRT54GS.

    You need a Subaru Outback.

    Cheers ;-)

    Johnathan Long, Apr 20, 2005
  9. Patrick Ruff

    BobC Guest

    It'll be hard on the Outback hauling my Douglas Fir logs out of the
    mountains.

    The OP did not say what his environment is. Maybe he has multiple WAN lines
    and needs to route to multiple networks. Maybe he needs lots of specialized
    internal security. maybe he needs multiple point to point VPN. maybe he
    needs OC connections. Maybe he needs ...

    Too bad the OP did not provide his requirements. The suggestions made here
    by most responders suggest he use a home consumer category router. I would
    put these in the low cost and restricted functionality category of router.
    The OP clearly stated he wanted a mid range router, which I assume means
    mid-range capabilities not home consumer products. The responses to this
    post show exactly why Government and business experience IT cost and
    schedule overruns. They implement solutions without knowing the
    requirements, then complain that the implementation soes not do what they
    want.

    BobC, Apr 20, 2005
  10. Patrick Ruff

    New User Guest

    Rather than criticise others who are trying to help, stop moaning about
    stuff we have no interest in, and do something useful if you want to
    contribute to this forum - ask him what he want's to do with his got damn
    piece of kit !

    New User, Apr 20, 2005
  11. Patrick Ruff

    BobC Guest

    I did. Quote from my original post "Depends what you are doing with it."

    BobC, Apr 20, 2005
  12. Patrick Ruff

    BobC Guest

    I didn't crticise anyone in this forum. I even smiled at Johnathan's input.
    I found it amusing.

    After reviewing this thread, I find that you are the only one critizing
    someone here. I applaud those who offered suggestions to the OP. Why don't
    you take your own advice and contribute something to this thread.

    BobC, Apr 20, 2005
  13. Patrick Ruff

    R CRooke Guest

    I have an older LinkSys BEFSR11 and I works like a charm...rock
    solid...I would recommend that you try a LinkSys product first

    R CRooke, Jul 2, 2005