Best advice for those wanting iPad

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Apr 9, 2010.

  1. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    On 4/18/2010 11:48 PM, nospam wrote:

    <mac advocacy bullshit snipped>

    A long time ago I used "" and realized that it was
    a stupid thing to do because so many other people have the same idea.

    Come up with a better munge.

    Oh, and don't bother to respond on this thread--I've just added all
    posts containing "ipod", "ipad", "iphone", "itunes", "macs", or "osx" to
    the killfile.

    J. Clarke, Apr 19, 2010

  2. RichA

    whisky-dave Guest

    Or perhaps they just find it really annoying I do.
    I even hate it when films go over board with the misic to an extent that you
    can;t
    hear the dialogue, I don;t call that enjoyable even when it's meant to
    happen.
    If I'm listening to a facsinating audio book then why would I want to listen
    to music ?

    There's little proof that the human brain can mulititask, what is does is
    ignore whatever other inmut is present, it's more time slicing than
    multitasking.
    The simpler the mind the more easy that becomes.

    whisky-dave, Apr 19, 2010

  3. RichA

    Mr. Strat Guest

    Dells, Gateways, etc. never break within their standard one-year
    warranty.
    Well, you got something right.
    If you compare the same things, you'll see that your urban myth is
    incorrect.

    Mr. Strat, Apr 19, 2010
  4. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    In movies they tend to have the annoying habit of playing the music
    much louder
    than the dialogues.. a very annoying habit. Makes you want to turn
    down the volume
    every time the music comes up and turn it up again in case of a
    dialogue.
    Oh well, I've seen too many movies anyway so nowadays I try to avoid
    most movies
    unless they are really worthwhile and those movies are few and far
    between.
    Why do people usually enjoy music in a bar during their conversations?
    So if you have a conversation with someone, you can't walk and you
    have to stand still and
    keep your eyes closed in order to keep track of the conversation?

    Your brain might be different from a typical human brain.
    Shallow minds can only experience superficial pleasures.

    sobriquet, Apr 19, 2010
  5. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    If you're arguing that the iPad is not well suited to doing heavy
    computational tasks like image processing them my response is...

    No duh? Do you have an _intelligent_ complaint?

    Ray Fischer, Apr 20, 2010
  6. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Only three years? Tsk. And you had to go to Japan. Tsk.

    Ray Fischer, Apr 20, 2010
  7. RichA

    whisky-dave Guest

    No, that's still time slicing.
    One of the basic laws of physics is that two things can not occur at the
    same instance in time.
    One of the reasons you have a clock frequency in electronic devices is to
    make sure everything
    has it's own time slot and is 'clocked properly.

    In the human world magicians use this 'trick' as the human eye can not see
    everything at the same time i.e it can;t multitask, humans can't multitask.
    They just think they can because they aren't clever enough to realise they
    can't.

    whisky-dave, Apr 20, 2010
  8. RichA

    whisky-dave Guest

    because the conversations aren't of interest to everyone present.
    Usually during group conversations the music is a backdrop.

    Well I don;t maybe you do ;-)
    But do you understand the difference between such things.
    I can breathe while asleep that isn't multitasking either.
    If you get down to small time events you'd understand how it works.
    Well I wouldn;t mind one that can defy the laws of physics.

    whisky-dave, Apr 20, 2010
  9. RichA

    SMS Guest

    In the U.S., many of Dell's business line of machines have three year
    warranties. I have two Dell Latitudes in the house that came with those.
    Also, the warranties are fully transferable. The Dell's I bought were
    very inexpensive off-lease machines that still had two years of the
    warranty left. One of them was loaded with all sorts of stuff I didn't
    really care about, like a fingerprint reader and an internal 3G card. It
    was a choice of a low end consumer machine with a 1 year warranty, or a
    higher-end commercial machine with a two year warranty. Another factor
    was that I wanted a machine that could dock, and that's rare these days.

    SMS, Apr 20, 2010
  10. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    Well, in my opinion, the vast majority of people enjoy music during
    many of their activities, like working out or commuting to and from
    work or school.
    Some people might claim they can't focus on their attention optimally
    when there is music to distract them, but surely not all activities
    demand our full attention and hence often you have at least some
    fraction of your attention available to enjoy music (or audiobooks) in
    the background.
    It might not be true multitasking in the sense of doing more than one
    thing
    at the same time, but subjectively we experience it that way because
    by rapidly alternating
    between different activities, the continuity of these activities in
    our awareness and memory gives the impression of multiple activities
    going on simultaneously.
    Laws of physics are a mere figment of our lively imagination. Reality
    is under no obligation to live up to our expectations, however
    entrenched.
    Take Newtons idea of absolute time and space for instance that looked,
    at that time, like nothing could ever refute such intuitive and
    scientifically confirmed notions.

    sobriquet, Apr 20, 2010
  11. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Which the Army pays for.

    Ray Fischer, Apr 20, 2010
  12. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    That's one thing... but think about riding a bicycle and listening to
    an audiobook.
    It depends how much attention is needed to keep track of the traffic
    and to what degree
    the audiobook requires your full attention to follow.
    However, with an audiobook, it doesn't really matter that you can't
    follow the story in full detail, as you can listen to the same book
    repeatedly. In this fashion render the story in your mind as fragments
    that gradually expand to cover the complete contents of the book as
    you've been listening to it repeatedly.
    Some books are well worth to re-read and every time you'll discover
    new things. It doesn't really matter if you miss out on certain parts
    the first few times you skim it over.

    Also, you can add music to the mix of activities competing for your
    attention.. some kinds of music are very meditative and can induce a
    kind of meditative state of mind. In this state of mind, your mind is
    more receptive and this alters the way in which you process and digest
    an audiobook.

    sobriquet, Apr 20, 2010
  13. RichA

    Guest Guest

    uh huh.

    Guest, Apr 20, 2010
  14. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    You probably have never watched a philosophy of science course, or
    you'd
    realize that science can only provide a provisional conceptual
    framework
    to interpret and explain observations.

    http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/CourseDescLong2.aspx?cid=4100

    sobriquet, Apr 20, 2010
  15. The only deficience displayed here is your ignorance.

    Asshole.

    Robert Spanjaard, Apr 21, 2010
  16. RichA

    Peter Guest

    Absolutely wrong. Theoretical scientists quite often develop concepts that
    are only later confirmed by observations. One recent example is Einstein's
    theory of relativity.

    Just one example:
    http://www.jstor.org/pss/83305

    Peter, Apr 21, 2010
  17. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    You might want to check your facts:
    http://www.drugwarfacts.org/cms/

    Even Obama has called the war on drugs a failure, but I guess you are
    proud to have the highest proportion of the population behind bars of
    all the industrialized countries.

    http://proxychi.baremetal.com/november.org/Prohibition/artwork/Prohibition.jpg

    Politicians who talk tough on drugs, support organized crime.

    sobriquet, Apr 21, 2010
  18. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    You're the one who has it absolutely wrong. Scientific theories can
    never be proven, they can only be falsified by discovering an
    observation that contradicts the theory.
    Just because you're able to confirm observations that were predicted
    by the theory, that doesn't prove the theory, it just increases our
    confidence in it as a suitable provisional conceptual framework, but
    it doesn't rule out the possibility that the theory is incomplete or
    plain wrong.

    sobriquet, Apr 21, 2010
  19. RichA

    Peter Guest

    My new theory is that you either lack the ability to learn, or are a troll.
    Since you have learned to type some form of English, I will not further
    contribute to your food supply.

    Peter, Apr 21, 2010
  20. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    You might want to study the work of Karl Popper before spouting any
    more nonsense.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Popper

    sobriquet, Apr 21, 2010