    I used to study computer science.
    A pocket PC is still a PC. But iPhones are crippled and inferior
    pocket PCs.

    sobriquet, Apr 19, 2010

  2. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    That just depends how much attention is needed. Our brain has evolved
    to do things
    on the autopilot once we've mastered them (like walking or riding the
    bicycle).
    That's why we can walk, enjoy music, enjoy a conversation and enjoy
    the scenery all at the same time (at least I sure know I can). Though
    these activities can take turns demanding more or less of our
    attention.
    So at times you might be barely aware of the fact there is music in
    the background as more of your attention might be required to keep
    track of the conversation, while at other times the conversation might
    be less interesting, allowing your attention to shift more towards the
    scenery and the music.

    sobriquet, Apr 19, 2010

  3. RichA

    Guest Guest

    78 hits. that many? do you get all your software from a pirate site?

    according to a report from last year, windows mobile had 20k apps then,
    after roughly a decade. the iphone had more than that in under a year
    and now has 10x as many, at about 200,000.
    apparently you didn't do particularly well and sought another path.
    iphones are not pocket pcs in the first place, so they can't be
    crippled ones.

    Guest, Apr 19, 2010
  4. RichA

    John A. Guest

    And if you have true multitasking you can set a complex filter working
    on your image in the background while you switch over to checking
    email while you wait for it to finish.

    Just sayin'.
    Project Gutenberg. (sp?) IIRC they have some voice-synthesized audio
    books too. Maybe some read by volunteers.
    You can look in the index if it has one, or table of contents.
    Somewhat akin to the Semantic Web in that they let you search for
    concepts rather than mere words.
    Nothing like real-world examples for mastery, though. That's why
    doctors go through internships working with real patients rather than
    learning on simulators and going right into private practice. ;)
    You only listen to recordings of soloists? If there are more than one
    instrument or singer performing in a recording all those sound sources
    will come out of the same speakers.
    It's allowing possibly unrelated processes to run
    simultaneously/timshared without them having to hand off to one
    another. It's one of the things that made Windows95 and NT so much
    better than Windows 3.x, IIRC.
    On the other hand, I'm guessing they would be more likely to be shown
    on broadcast TV in his country than in the US, so maybe he's a bit
    desensitized. :)

    Just tossing in my two cents.

    John A., Apr 19, 2010
  5. RichA

    Guest Guest

    who runs complex filters on a phone?
    only for words that are listed in the index, not arbitrary words. you
    also can't do a global search across all printed books for a certain
    word or phrase.
    that's something different.
    he wants to listen to multiple and different songs or a song and an
    audio book at the same time, not multiple instruments playing the
    *same* piece of music in harmony.
    that's preemptive versus cooperative. both are 'true' and differ in how
    they're scheduled.

    Guest, Apr 19, 2010
  6. RichA

    John A. Guest

    Billions and billions served. :)

    Just sayin'.

    John A., Apr 19, 2010
  7. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    I listen to 7 independent playlists on my computer, even in my sleep.
    It's wonderful because it's like a way to meditate and to cultivate
    awareness
    with respect to the way you distribute your attention over various
    subjects that compete
    for your attention.
    Not all music is suitable to mix up with other music, but
    minimal music and sound collages are very suitable for that. Some
    music tends to interfere
    with most other music, while other kinds of music will result in a
    kind of synergy or resonance when it's enjoyed in combination with
    other music.

    It's kind of similar to the way you can focus your attention on
    particular instruments
    in a piece of music that involves various kinds of instruments playing
    in concert.
    You can listen to all of the instruments simultaneously or focus your
    attention on any particular instrument or a particular combination of
    2 or more instruments while trying
    to ignore the rest of the instrumentation to the best of your ability.
    At first it might be hard, but it's a kind of exercise in learning to
    focus your attention that you can improve upon by practice.

    If you listen to a piece of Steve Reich for the first time you might
    wonder if this
    music was perhaps intended to be played simultaneously with other
    music.

    Here is another great example of a piece of music by John Cage which
    is very suitable as a kind of sound collage to mix with just about any
    other music:
    http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/s/Imaginary+Landscape+No+1/2GoBhj

    sobriquet, Apr 19, 2010
  8. RichA

    Guest Guest

    depends on the model. overall, apple has the highest satisfaction rate,
    according to forrester research.

    <http://www.infoworld.com/d/adventures-in-it/how-does-your-pc-manufactur
    er-rate-842>

    Apple topped the overall list for the second year in a row, while
    Dell -- also for the second time in a row -- brought up the bottom.
    i doubt they were considering it, and whatever the reason may be, it's
    not public. as i said, a mac can run mac, windows and linux software
    natively and simultaneously, while a pc can't.

    Guest, Apr 19, 2010
  9. RichA

    John A. Guest

    Maybe some day you will. How many things do you do on a phone now that
    you never thought you would, even just five years ago? :)
    True, but they generally include the most useful things, and can
    themselves be scanned by the user for concepts related to what they
    are looking for.
    Or a jazz ensemble, or a remix. Yeah, those are intentional. But then
    there are other unintentional combinations like watching a video of
    the Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon. :)
    True enough. I wonder why MS decided preemptive was the way to go when
    they already had cooperative.

    John A., Apr 19, 2010
  10. RichA

    John A. Guest

    Are there figures available for comparative satisfaction rates among
    people who own both systems being compared? I would think that would
    get past the inherent bias in such surveys and be a more trustworthy
    gauge for someone deciding between the two.
    Only due to licensing restrictions. Google 'run os-x on a pc'.

    John A., Apr 19, 2010
  11. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    I've seen plenty of complaints from Apple users in consumer programs
    who were
    very upset that their Apple computer broke down after only a few years
    of operation and Apple refused to do anything for them because they
    neglected to pay for an overpriced 'Apple care' insurance. If you buy
    an expensive Apple computer, you'd expect to get high quality
    components in a system that ought to be expected to run for at least 5
    years without problems and not breaking down after 2 years or so.

    But as far as the software is concerned, os-X is certainly way more
    stable and reliable than windoze.

    For an Apple computer with identical specifications as a windows
    computer, you'll pay
    at least twice the amount of money, while they tend to use similar
    components under the hood.
    I don't think the sleek design of Apple hardware on the outside
    justifies that major difference in price.
    HP or Dell computers are not more likely to fail than Apple computers
    as far as the hardware is concerned.
    You sure can.. I've done it myself on my PC.
    Though you need a kind of hacked os-X version.

    I've never had any issues with playlists on my mp3 players (iRiver,
    iAudio,..) and I've never used iTunes.
    With a hacked iPod perhaps.. since DRM has only fairly recently been
    removed.
    Why would a pc user with a mp3 player install itunes when they don't
    need any itunes
    crap to exchange music between their player and the pc or to work with
    playlists?
    Apple was all to happy to go along with it, while other mp3 player
    manufacturers
    somehow didn't need to screw up their portable mp3 players with DRM
    nonsense.

    sobriquet, Apr 19, 2010
  12. Because cooperative requres the processes to behave themselves and
    explicitly hand off execution, while in a preemptive model, the OS
    schedules execution and cuts off the process when it's used up its
    timeslice, scheduling the next one that's ready to go. The individual
    processes don't know or care about how they're scheduled and take as
    much processing time as they're given.

    What Apple's done here is set things up such that a process has to
    explicitly say what it wants to do in the background, otherwise it's
    suspended and not re-scheduled until the user brings that process back
    to the foreground.

    The downside of Apple's model is that all apps have to be coded
    to work in the background by explicitly registering what they want to
    do (and with what) in advance. One can make a good case why this is a
    good thing -- or a bad thing.

    - Solomon

    Stuffed Crust, Apr 19, 2010
  13. RichA

    Guest Guest

    then i'll worry about its multitasking abilities *then*.
    heh, that's easily done on a computer which can then be played on the
    iphone.

    Guest, Apr 19, 2010
  14. RichA

    Guest Guest

    Because cooperative requres the processes to behave themselves and
    explicitly hand off execution, while in a preemptive model, the OS
    schedules execution and cuts off the process when it's used up its
    timeslice, scheduling the next one that's ready to go. The individual
    processes don't know or care about how they're scheduled and take as
    much processing time as they're given. [/QUOTE]

    each has advantages and disadvantages. with classic mac os, it was very
    hard to *not* hand off appropriately. a developer really had to go well
    out of their way to screw things up. a few apps did, and they generally
    weren't worth running anyway. there's always going to be crap software.
    an advantage of cooperative is that the foreground app *always* has
    priority, which is generally what the user wants.

    with preemptive, a background task suck down cpu, causing the
    foreground app to not run as smoothly, e.g., causing dropped frames in
    video. on the whole it's preferable but not always.
    sorta like android...
    there are tradeoffs to everything.

    Guest, Apr 19, 2010
  15. RichA

    Guest Guest

    yea and? nothing is perfect. overall, people who buy macs are very
    satisfied (link in another post).

    plus, applecare is not overpriced, go look at how much extended
    warranties are for other systems. if the the computer breaks outside of
    warranty, what do you think apple should do? fix it anyway?

    nevertheless, some products are lemons and have a repair extension
    program and are covered out of warranty. also, sometimes if the repair
    is simple, it will be fixed for free in an apple store, warranty or
    not.
    most people don't keep a computer for 5 years and most macs don't break
    down in 2 years either.
    yes it is.
    complete nonsense. for similar specs, macs have a similar price.
    good thing that it doesn't.
    wrong. apple was found to be most reliable, hp was fifth:

    <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9141839/Macs_retake_reliability_
    ranking_top_spot>
    it's not as simple as you make it out to be, and it's also a license
    violation.
    so how do you get smart playlists with drag/drop?
    any ipod.
    an ipod can play non-drm music perfectly fine, and in fact, the ipod
    came out *before* the music store did. drm music is *not* a
    requirement.
    because it's a decent music management application, much better than
    using explorer and a maze of files and folders.
    apple *had* to go along with it to create the music store, and the drm
    has nothing at all to do with the ipod. you even said it was the record
    companies doing in another post.

    Guest, Apr 19, 2010
  16. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    On a PHONE?!?

    Ray Fischer, Apr 19, 2010
  17. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Name one computer maker that provides a warranty that last for several
    years.
    Do you know the difference between anecdotal stories and real
    evidence?

    Ray Fischer, Apr 19, 2010
  18. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    And there's a great deal that you've forgotten and more that you never
    learned.
    Guess again.

    Ray Fischer, Apr 19, 2010
  19. RichA