    next thing you know you'll want to watch two movies at the same time.
    i can think of better ways.
    nonsense.

    Guest, Apr 18, 2010

  2. RichA

    Guest Guest

    you mean like every other product?

    this is a photo group, what about the features nikon left out on the
    entry level cameras? what, no 51 point autofocus on the d3000? oh no.

    Guest, Apr 18, 2010

  3. And considering its success, that's what the users want.

    If you want to steer the discussion towards freedom: Apple has the freedom
    to limit the iPhone's features. People who don't like what Apple is doing,
    have the freedom to buy something else.

    Robert Spanjaard, Apr 18, 2010
  4. RichA

    Guest Guest

    and some do, some don't. those that do buy the iphone are *very*
    satisfied, much more than an htc winmo device.

    Guest, Apr 18, 2010
  5. Speaking of photography, and things requiring full attention: this is a
    photograph sobriquet submitted to a contest, which has a very simple
    requirement: submit your best photograph.

    http://zoom.nl/foto/1425631/macro-s/in/user-77512/speldenkussen.html

    That's what you get when doing things on autopilot, with a fraction of
    your attention and awareness, doing 4 or 5 times at the same time, etc...

    Robert Spanjaard, Apr 18, 2010
  6. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    Yes, like every other product basically. But some companies tend to
    restrict
    the functionality of their products rather severely and unnecessarily.

    A good example is the CHDK firmware hack that allows you to
    dramatically
    expand the functionality of Canon powershot camera's.

    But iPods have always been famous for forcing users to use iTunes
    while other mp3
    players work more like a usb drive with no restrictions on being
    allowed to copy
    mp3s freely.
    It's not like all portable devices are crippled in this respect, but
    some companies
    like Apple go to great lengths to seriously impair the functionality
    of their devices whenever corporate interests might motivate them to
    do so.

    sobriquet, Apr 18, 2010
  7. RichA

    Guest Guest

    some do, and they don't usually sell very well. strangely enough, the
    ipod has over 70% of the market. maybe it's not as restricted as you
    think it is.
    using itunes *adds* functionality, not restricts it.
    once again, using itunes does not cripple it, it makes it more flexible
    and much easier to use.

    Guest, Apr 18, 2010
  8. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    So you simply deny it might be useful to run multiple applications at
    the same time?
    I mean real applications, not things that can be run simultaneously
    because they are integrated into the operating system in a special
    way.
    Multitasking on the computer is something people do all the time.
    Just because you have a mobile version of a computer, that's no reason
    to stop multitasking.
    Hmmmm, and the fact that people share mp3s much more on p2p than books
    has nothing to do with the fact that books are much harder to digitize
    (compared to music) either?
    It has to do with the difference between reading a book and listening
    to an audiobook.
    Anyone who has done both activities for any significant amount of time
    will testify that an audiobook is superior in many respects compared
    to a book in print (or ebook). Though in some respects, books in print
    also have certain advantages, like making it easier to search for
    particular
    words or sentences in the text.

    So it's preferable to have both the ebook and audiobook version, and
    reading along while listening can also be nice (especially when
    listening to audiobooks to practice a foreign language).
    Like people having a conversation in a bar where there is music
    playing in the background.
    How many people do you know who would object to this arguing they
    can't talk or listen
    when the music distracts them?
    I doubt it, as I'm talking about running multiple applications and
    this article suggests iPhone users are still waiting for true
    multitasking:
    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10467752-233.html
    Some applications are more suitable for multitasking than others.
    Movies
    are usually so engaging that they require ones full attention as it
    involves
    a kind of integration between the audio and the visuals.
    Books are different, though videobooks can be more engaging, they
    still allow
    for music to be enjoyed in the background:
    http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=7ED654F3C951BC20
    Orgasms are kind of boring compared to the type of bliss I'm talking
    about.

    Information is the best drug.
    So you can use your iPhone/iPod as a memory stick and simply drag and
    drop music on it from the desktop?
    I know that in the past it was not that easy.. DRM hasn't been
    abolished from the iTunes store for that long.

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/06/macworld_itunes/

    sobriquet, Apr 18, 2010
  9. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    Right.. Apple has every right to produce and sell garbage.. I'm all
    for freedom.
    But my advice turned out to be justified, judging from the funny
    I get from iPhone users who claim they are not even interested in
    multitasking as a feature on their toy phone.
    Avoid Apple like the plague if you are serious about mobile
    information technology.

    Just look at how long it took Apple to realize DRM is a dead end. :))

    sobriquet, Apr 18, 2010
  10. RichA

    Guest Guest

    never said that.

    listening to two or more audio sources at the same time is not
    something most people want to do.

    however, they might want to listen to music and play a game, while the
    phone listens for email or sms text messages. actual real world
    scenarios.
    yes, real applications.
    actually no. most people use one application at a time. if you are
    watching a movie, are you also reading an ebook? if you are playing a
    game are you also editing images in photoshop?

    you might have an email app running in the background and if it beeps
    for new email, you *switch* to it, read the email, then switch back to
    photoshop or whatever and continue working.
    not so much anymore, and ebooks can be found online too for those that
    really want to go that route.
    it's easier to search in an ebook (which can be read via speech
    synthesis by the way). you *can't* search a printed book.
    there are plenty of apps designed for learning foreign languages.
    what does that have to do with listening to two sound sources on the
    *same* speakers?
    'true multitasking' has no technical definition. the fact remains that
    you *can* do multiple things on an iphone.
    true, which is used to an advantage on mobile devices.
    maybe you are doing it wrong.
    you obviously need a higher dosage, since you lack quite a bit of
    information about iphones.
    sure can, and without wires too.
    so what? it's gone now.

    drm was there due to the record companies. apple has always said it was
    not something they wanted to do.

    Guest, Apr 18, 2010
  11. RichA

    Guest Guest

    given that they own the market for mp3 players, very few people think
    it's garbage.
    nobody said that.
    they've *always* had that position. the record companies forced them.

    why don't you slam microsoft for their 'plays for sure' drm which was
    *discontinued* screwing people who bought content.

    Guest, Apr 18, 2010
  12. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    It just goes to show that even garbage can be widely sold with a slick
    marketing campaign.
    Besides, in some respects Apple software like OS-X is indeed quality
    compared to windows,
    which is garbage. But windows still has the biggest market share
    (probably also
    because Apple is rather pricey and has an exclusive style that appeals
    to wealthy
    people).
    Also, Apple computers look pretty slick in terms of design, but
    judging from stories of people who had issues with broken Apple
    computers, I doubt that there is a great deal of high quality
    components under the hood compared to a typical windows computer
    (dell, HP or whatever).

    These days with Apple using intel CPU's, it doesn't really matter
    anymore since you can run both windows and os-X side by side on the
    same computer and enjoy the best of both worlds.
    Right.. why would you want the plug-n-play functionality of a generic
    mass storage device like an usb stick when you could be forced to have
    some stupid application installed.

    If you go to acquaintances and they happen to have a PC instead of a
    MAC, if you had
    a normal mp3 player, you could simply connect it and start to exchange
    music or audiobooks or even arbitrary files.
    But because of having an iPod, you would first need to convince that
    PC user
    to install some lousy iTunes application on their PC (unless you'd be
    using a hacked iPod perhaps).
    Right.. so flexible and so easy that Apple has finally decided to give
    up on DRM.
    Apple users are hilarious.

    sobriquet, Apr 18, 2010
  13. And you are free to consider their product to be garbage. But it'll never
    be more than your opinion, no matter how many times you post it as if it's
    a fact.

    Robert Spanjaard, Apr 19, 2010
  14. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Like I should care? He's a writer looking for one specific feature.
    Does he even know what it means?
    Wrong. Laughably so.

    And yes, I do know computers.

    Ray Fischer, Apr 19, 2010
  15. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    And how many 3rd party apps does it run?
    Stop. Do not make any more claims about computers. You don't know
    the subject and you're just making a fool of yourself.
    It's not a PC.

    Ray Fischer, Apr 19, 2010
  16. RichA

    Guest Guest

    *you* may think it's garbage but the users who buy them don't.
    right, because no dell or hp ever failed.
    yes, which you *can't* do on a pc.
    because as i said, it adds functionality. let's see how well smart
    playlists work with your method.
    ignoring the fact that it's illegal, you can do that with an ipod too.
    which they probably have installed already.
    the *record companies* decided. apple has *always* said they didn't
    want it.

    stop making shit up.

    Guest, Apr 19, 2010
  17. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    That's is indeed a very good example. Were Canon to provide the same
    functionality then they'd be spending a lot more on unneeded
    development, test, and support for negligable increase in revenue.
    Nope. I get my music from Amazon.
    And yet iPods still comprise the vast majority of the market.

    Why do you suppose that that is?
    They're crippled by bad support and bad design instead?

    Ray Fischer, Apr 19, 2010
  18. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Snob.

    Ray Fischer, Apr 19, 2010
  19. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    It's a bit like the reason Beethoven is so well known. Not because of
    the quality
    of his music, but because he had a very good publicity manager.
    Multitasking means that you can use *any* two (or more) applications
    simultaneously, not just
    the applications that Apple thinks are useful to run simultaneously.
    It should be up to users to decide which applications they might find
    useful to run simultaneously.
    At least, that's the way it works on my HTC PPC. I can run any two or
    more applications simultaneously (though you are right in your remark
    that the screen real estate is too limited
    to have them both visible simultaneously).
    It's just my opinion as someone who uses mobile information technology
    all the time.
    Your opinion might be different.
    Well, in that respect I guess I can't deny that the intellectual
    property mafia
    (record companies, etc.) is indeed responsible for all the DRM issues.
    In that respect, Microsoft is also scamming people most of the time.
    In fact, I think
    Microsoft is even more of a criminal organisation than Apple and they
    have been repeatedly convicted for exploiting their monopoly position.

    I would also advice people to avoid mp3 players from Microsoft (like
    Zune) like the plague.

    In fact, all pocket mp3 players should be avoided like the plague,
    regardless of their brand, because there are PPC devices that will
    play multiple playlists independently, which render all mp3 players
    redundant (except perhaps for people who are using them while working
    out and might be more concerned about the size of their mobile audio
    device).

    sobriquet, Apr 19, 2010
  20. RichA

    Guest Guest

    you can't be serious.
    nope. it means running two or more apps at the same time.
    what's more important is if the device solves a particular task. users
    don't care how it happens, only that it happens. they typically want to
    get email while listening to music while surfing the web, which can be
    done on an iphone, and for the past three years.
    which means it's not like on a desktop computer, is it?

    on an iphone, most apps save and restore their state, so a quit/launch
    is basically the same as invoking a task manager and picking another
    app. in fact, it's faster to quit/launch on an iphone 3gs today than
    switch apps on a palm pre, for instance.
    it's not just my opinion, but that of the buying public.
    but you blamed it on apple.
    isn't your phone windows mobile? oh the irony.
    yes, that's true.
    they are doing that. zune has like 2-3% market share.
    that's not a feature that normal people want.

    Guest, Apr 19, 2010