    tony cooper Guest

    An electrical outlet in which to plug in an electric teakettle. To
    make tea.

    tony cooper, Apr 17, 2010

  2. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    Avoid Apple like the plague.

    Those poor iPhone users are still waiting for multitasking to be
    implemented, while pocket pc users have been enjoying multitasking
    for years.

    sobriquet, Apr 18, 2010

  3. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it multitasks.

    Guest, Apr 18, 2010
  4. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    Ah, so finally you can now play 3 separate playlists of mp3s on the
    iPhone?
    That's the feature that I enjoy most on my HTC PPC (for listening to
    various kinds of music
    and audiobooks simultaneously).

    Does it have gps and an orientation sensor so you can automatically
    orientate pictures and record gps data in the exif info?

    Does the iPhone allow you to record phone calls? Does it allow you to
    use the iPhone as
    a voicemail or answering machine to automatically handle calls or
    present callers with an interactive menu of options?

    sobriquet, Apr 18, 2010
  5. RichA

    Guest Guest

    at the same time? an app could do that but *why* ?
    of course it does. it has a gps and a 3d accelerometer, not just an
    orientation sensor.
    no. recording phone calls is illegal in many jurisdictions.
    why would anyone want to do that on a phone? there are free or
    inexpensive services that do that a lot more reliably.

    Guest, Apr 18, 2010
  6. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Avoid irrational bigots.
    And there is an example of how the irrational bigot "thinks": latch
    onto one aspect that you don't understand and then use it to justify
    your bigotry.

    Ray Fischer, Apr 18, 2010
  7. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    Because you can enjoy music and audiobooks simultaneously.
    Just like you can read a book while listening to music.
    It's great. There is a lot of music (la monte young, john cage, ..)
    that is quite
    suitable for mixing it up with other music or playing it in the
    background as a backdrop
    for other music.
    Not where I live (Netherlands, Europe).
    Publishing a recorded private conversation might be another matter.
    Because that's the kind of functionality you'd expect from a pocket
    computer.
    I can use Skype on my computer to call people on their regular phone
    or mobile and use an audio application to record the conversation.
    With software like Automate it should also be possible to handle Skype
    calls automatically.

    sobriquet, Apr 18, 2010
  8. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-10467752-233.html

    Multitasking is about as basic as functionality gets on a computer.

    sobriquet, Apr 18, 2010
  9. RichA

    Guest Guest

    maybe you can but most people can't or simply don't want to.
    that can easily be done.
    so get an app that lets you mix. it's not something most people are
    going to want to do.
    netherlands isn't the only place where they're sold.
    it's not a pocket computer.
    there may be voip apps that can do it, but not via the regular iphone
    phone number.

    Guest, Apr 18, 2010
  10. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it's a phone, not a computer, and it has multitasked since day one. it
    can play music, check email, make and receive calls and quite a bit
    more, all at the same time.

    what's coming to iphone os 4 is the ability for third party apps to run
    in the background, which a lot of people mistakenly call multitasking,
    and it will do so in a way that doesn't murder battery life.

    Guest, Apr 18, 2010
  11. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    I regularly do 4 or 5 things at the same time, I don't see what's
    special about it.
    Many activities go on the autopilot and only require a fraction of
    your attention and awareness. When you learn to ride a bicycle, you
    might need your full attention, but once you have mastered this
    ability, you can easily enjoy music while riding on the bicycle.
    If you sit in a bar, usually they have music playing in the background
    that you can listen to even while having a conversation (provided they
    don't play it too loud).

    Likewise, there is no reason why you can't enjoy an audiobook while
    listening to music.

    sobriquet, Apr 18, 2010
  12. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    Well, that's the kind of multitasking I've been enjoying for a long
    time on my HTC..
    and I see that iPhone users are indeed still waiting for it. :))

    Multitasking is multitasking.. on the PC you also have many programs
    running at the same time, so it's only natural to expect this from a
    pocket computer.

    If the iPhone is not a pocket computer it's probably because Apple has
    severely limited it's functionality to the point where it's more of a
    toy phone than a real pocket computer like the HTC PPC.

    sobriquet, Apr 18, 2010
  13. RichA

    Guest Guest

    nope. what works on a desktop is not appropriate for a mobile device
    that has a small screen, limited memory and a battery. it's not like
    you can create more swap files on the large hard drive inside it.
    technically it's a computer but that doesn't matter to users. it's a
    phone that does a lot of stuff, much more than an htc ppc device.

    Guest, Apr 18, 2010
  14. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    Or maybe they didn't realize they could and they didn't realize that
    it
    is extremely enjoyable. The pleasure derived from listening
    to good music adds up to the pleasure derived from listening
    to a fascinating audiobook.
    Sometimes I worry that I might die of a pleasure overdose, but
    pleasure is one of those rare things that you can't have too much of.
    Far more easy to listen to an audiobook than to read a book. Listening
    to a book
    is a passive activity where you have your mind available to reflect
    upon the
    content of the book, while reading is an active talk that can make you
    tired
    as it requires effort on your part to make your eyes trace the
    sentences and
    you constantly have to match the end of the line to the start of the
    subsequent
    line.

    Evolutionarily speaking, sound and spoken language is much more
    ingrained in our evolutionary makeup compared to written language that
    you have to convert to spoken language in your head.

    No, because why would you need a separate application for
    multitasking.. that's silly.

    All you need is simply 2 or 3 music players that will play
    simultaneously and independently.
    On my old mp3 player, I used to mix up music in advance, but the major
    drawback is that you always hear things in the same combinations,
    while using separate playlists ensures you hear the content in
    endlessly varying combinations.
    Is thinking still legal in the US?
    Hehehe... right.. Apple has put so many restrictions on its
    functionality that you can't
    consider it a real pocket computer.
    Oh well.. integration between the phone-part and the computer-part of
    the HTC
    PPC is very lousy too, so in that respect it probably resembles an
    iPhone.

    sobriquet, Apr 18, 2010
  15. RichA

    Guest Guest

    i'm pretty sure that most people who listen to an audio book don't also
    want music playing. it's just not a feature that's very important.
    get an audiobook with music then.
    yet more people read books than listen to them.
    playing two sounds simultaneously is not what most people would call
    multitasking.
    it's not something that very many people care to do.
    nonsense.

    Guest, Apr 18, 2010
  16. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    Multitasking simply means running more than one application at the
    same time.
    You're telling me that a feature I've been enjoying for almost a year
    (since I got the HTC) is inappropriate?

    My HTC PPC might be slow, but the multitasking rocks. If they speed it
    up
    so you can quickly switch between applications via the task manager,
    it
    would be even more awesome, but slow multitasking is better than no
    multitasking.

    The battery life is not so bad.. I can enjoy running 3 applications
    for more than 5 hours on end with the 1800mAh battery.

    http://picasaweb.google.com/dohduhdah/Experimenteel#5450182965366646162
    One cool thing about the HTC is that all the applications can be
    downloaded for
    free from p2p and you can also customize it because windows mobile
    has a registry just like regular windows.

    sobriquet, Apr 18, 2010
  17. That's right. Technically, a modern dishwasher is a computer. A modern
    refrigerator is a computer. But most people don't want these to be as
    functional (and _complex_) as a 'real' computer. The iPhone does what it's
    designed to do, and does it well.

    Robert Spanjaard, Apr 18, 2010
  18. RichA

    Guest Guest

    which means that all iphones do it.
    no, read what i wrote again.
    there's one issue.
    you can't quickly switch apps??? two issues.
    that's why doing it exactly the same as a desktop computer is not
    necessarily the best way.
    that long?

    the iphone is rated at up to 9 hours of internet use on wifi, up to 10
    hours of video playback and up to 30 hours of audio playback, and
    that's with a battery that has *less* mah.
    p2p as in pirated? that's hardly a 'cool thing.'

    how many apps are there? the iphone is approximately 200k now.

    Guest, Apr 18, 2010
  19. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    I doubt that you have ever seriously listened to audiobooks.
    You're silly. The whole point of multitasking and running separate
    applications
    is that you can play it back in endless combinations.
    I think it's hard to explain to people who have never enjoyed this.
    It's like trying to explain how wonderful music is to people who have
    never heard
    music.
    Gee.. perhaps that has something to do with the fact that audio
    recordings have been a relatively recent invention, compared to the
    invention of scripture?
    Right, you probably don't give a shit about your evolutionary
    background.
    I'm simply talking about running two or more applications
    simultaneously and independently.
    I might enjoy a game of go while listening to music (and maybe an
    audiobook or language course on the side). Or I might use mapsource to
    explore the topographical map of my surroundings while enjoying music
    and audiobooks.
    If only they knew about this reliable method to induce sheer bliss.
    Apple devices like iPods and iPhones are infamous for artificial
    restrictions.
    You have to hack your way around DRM and other nonsense.

    sobriquet, Apr 18, 2010
  20. RichA

    sobriquet Guest

    The iPhone does what Apple allows it to do and Apple isn't very open
    minded about
    what kind of functionality their users might enjoy.

    sobriquet, Apr 18, 2010