  1. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it's a different product category.

    Guest, Apr 10, 2010

  2. RichA

    Guest Guest

    how about four: location aware apps that use the gps and compass,
    immersive games that use the accelerometer, a touch interface that's
    not slapped onto a desktop os and a 3g radio with a no-contract data
    plan that's significantly cheaper than what's available for laptops.

    Guest, Apr 10, 2010

  3. RichA

    John A. Guest

    Do you know what a pickup is?

    John A., Apr 10, 2010
  4. RichA

    John A. Guest

    If it's such a fundamentally different device, how were you able to
    trace its lineage back to early computers for a comparison of UI
    design?

    Replace the room-size cabinets, paper tape, punch cards, & toggles
    with a hand-held body, touch screens and wireless interfaces and
    you've got a very different computing experience, but it's still a
    computer.

    John A., Apr 10, 2010
  5. RichA

    ray Guest

    and how is that relevant to an ipad?[/QUOTE]

    What it is relevant to is:

    ray, Apr 10, 2010
  6. RichA

    Tom D Guest

    Funny you should say that. I was on Best Buy's site and they describe the
    iPad as "A magical and revolutionary product..." ;-)

    Tom D, Apr 10, 2010
  7. RichA

    Mr. Strat Guest

    Lacking what...a camera? USB is so 20th century...get with it, man.

    Mr. Strat, Apr 12, 2010
  8. RichA

    Mr. Strat Guest

    I've used a netbook...I've used an iPad. I don't need to run the same
    apps. Netbooks are a piece of shit.

    Mr. Strat, Apr 12, 2010
  9. RichA

    GMAN Guest

    The only reason the iPad lacks a USB port is so that Apple can controll every
    bit that passes from one location to the next. They can charge for the
    bandwidth.

    GMAN, Apr 12, 2010
  10. RichA

    Guest Guest

    absolute nonsense. where do people come up with this stuff?

    Guest, Apr 12, 2010
  11. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    : On 08/04/10 7:54 PM, C J Campbell wrote:
    :
    : <snip>
    :
    : > Obviously you missed today's presentation on iPhone OS 4.0. Jobs
    : > Also, 4.0 will have true multitasking, so you are wrong about that, too.
    :
    : Nope, unfortunately 4.0 doesn't have true multi-tasking. They made a
    : little progress, but they are not there yet. You must have missed the
    : presentation on 4.0.
    :
    : > USB is so 20th century anyway, as is Firewire. You might as well demand
    : > a serial or parallel port or a floppy disk drive. You want a buggy whip
    : > holder with that? Everything is supposed to connect to the iPad
    : > wirelessly.
    :
    : Nope, no iPad support for most Bluetooth profiles. 802.11 would be a
    : possibility.
    :
    : What you need to understand is that nearly all the peripherals now being
    : used with tablets and thin clients in vertical applications are
    : connected via USB. In many instances there are even older interfaces
    : being used. These devices aren't going to be redesigned, and replaced,
    : to work with a device that lacks the most popular and most basic of I/O.
    : It was a conscious decision of Apple to not include connectivity that
    : would allow the iPad to be used in ways that did not generate revenue
    : from content.
    :
    : Apple is certainly free to put, or not put, whatever hardware and
    : software features into their products that they believe will generate
    : the most revenue.

    And if they've guessed wrong, they may have shot themselves in the foot
    bigtime. I won't care, but some in this newsgroup obviously will.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Apr 12, 2010
  12. RichA

    whisky-dave Guest

    Nah, the apps store is what'll make the iPad a best buy option.

    whisky-dave, Apr 12, 2010
  13. RichA

    Mr. Strat Guest

    They have the ability to charge money for things transferring through
    Bluetooth?

    Mr. Strat, Apr 12, 2010
  14. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Apr 12, 2010
  15. RichA

    Guest Guest

    most of those games are designed for a mouse/keyboard interface, not
    touch, so they would not work very well on an ipad. plus, a lot of them
    already have native iphone apps anyway.
    it *is* buggy and a memory hog. look at the joojoo review where battery
    life dropped significantly when playing flash.
    a lot of sites support h.264 and html5. youtube videos automatically
    play without any issue, which is what most embedded video is.

    it really isn't a major issue.

    Guest, Apr 12, 2010
  16. RichA

    Mr. Strat Guest

    Screw Europe.
    Flash is crappy technology. It *is* a memory hog and a great way to
    distribute malware. Android doesn't have Flash either.

    Mr. Strat, Apr 13, 2010
  17. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Ray Fischer, Apr 13, 2010
  18. RichA

    whisky-dave Guest

    Depends on how long 'we' have to wait, in the UK it's an extra month.
    Nah not worth it I'm waiting for the 40" widescreen version
    that can fold up to the size of a postage stamp and won;t ever need
    charging.
    And if it's fully fuctioning I'd expect a specialsed socket for pron, and a
    kettle point
    and a bottle opener.

    whisky-dave, Apr 16, 2010
  19. RichA

    Roy Smith Guest

    Kettle point? What's that? Google and Wikipedia only come up with
    references to geographic locations.

    Roy Smith, Apr 16, 2010
  20. RichA

    John A. Guest

    Like this but smaller?
    http://www.today-reviews.com/comput...does-away-with-keyboard-monitor-concepts.html

    Or maybe this?
    http://www.ohgizmo.com/2010/01/08/ces-2010-hands-on-with-light-blue-optics-light-touch/

    You can get a bluetooth or serial laser keyboard now.
    http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/

    I'm picturing someday having a phone that can project both a virtual
    keyboard and monitor, maybe eventually multiple monitors, while itself
    serving as a mouse. In tracking its motions for its mouse functions,
    it would also compensate to stabilize its monitor & keyboard
    projections. You just need a table and a white wall. Or at least a
    light-enough wall if you're not doing anything color-sensitive. I
    figure on switch-on it could maybe project a white square on the wall
    to calibrate for geometry and white balance.

    Future stuff, sure, but I think it's in closer reach than a practical
    and approved neural implant.
    As an aside, but perhaps apropos to this branch of the thread, xkcd
    has a good comic about the iPad today. http://xkcd.com/728/

    John A., Apr 17, 2010