    since it's not a netbook, how can it have half the capabilities of one?[/QUOTE]

    A laptop is not a netbook either - it has all the capabilities of one and
    more - but in a larger form factor.

    ray, Apr 10, 2010

  2. RichA

    ray Guest

    I'm more interested in what it CAN do than what it runs.

    ray, Apr 10, 2010

  3. RichA

    John A. Guest

    Not a bad analogy at all. They're both handheld devices that run
    applications and communicate. And one's capabilities are largely a
    subset of the other's.

    The book vs tablet difference is just the physical UI. To say they're
    apples & oranges is like saying it's impossible to compare the
    capabilities of a pen and a typewriter.

    John A., Apr 10, 2010
  4. RichA

    Guest Guest

    yes it is
    that's where it ends.

    a cellphone is a handheld device that runs applications and
    communicates, so by your metric, a cellphone is also a netbook.
    actually, they're different with some overlap.
    a pen is not a 'smaller typewriter' and an ipad is not a 'less capable
    netbook.'

    Guest, Apr 10, 2010
  5. RichA

    Guest Guest

    A laptop is not a netbook either - it has all the capabilities of one and
    more - but in a larger form factor.[/QUOTE]

    and how is that relevant to an ipad?

    Guest, Apr 10, 2010
  6. RichA

    RichA Guest

    We are still in the infancy of things other than notebooks and home
    computers. We can avoid this overpriced junk until something better
    comes along. Something 8.5x11, that is 5mm thick, relatively light,
    folds in half, has a screen where you can choose reflective and
    emission display and is FULLY FUNCTIONAL!
    Fleece the sheep you mean.

    RichA, Apr 10, 2010
  7. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    How can you tell? You can't run the same applications. You can't set
    up a comparable test. You can't even define what "outperform" means.
    The claim is meaningless.

    Ray Fischer, Apr 10, 2010
  8. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    He didn't say that it was a netbook, he said that it was less capable
    than a netbook? Is the problem that (a) you're not a native speaker of
    English, (b) you failed reading comprehension, (c) you're stupid or (d)
    you're just a jackass?

    J. Clarke, Apr 10, 2010
  9. RichA

    Guest Guest

    so why compare it to one?
    it's not less capable. it does *different* things, with some overlap.
    e) none of the above, but it looks like they apply to you.

    Guest, Apr 10, 2010
  10. RichA

    John A. Guest

    and how is that relevant to an ipad?[/QUOTE]

    Because the iPad is not some magical fairy device with mystical powers
    running on moon dust. It's yet another digital device with
    capabilities seen in other digital devices.

    The fact that you work it with your fingers instead of a stylus or a
    mouse & keyboard doesn't make it fundamentally different. It's just a
    detail of the UI design.

    John A., Apr 10, 2010
  11. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it makes it very different.

    Guest, Apr 10, 2010
  12. RichA

    John A. Guest

    It makes the UI different. Replace a truck's steering wheel and pedals
    with a couple joysticks and you've got a very different driving
    experience, but it's still a truck.

    John A., Apr 10, 2010
  13. RichA

    Guest Guest

    bad analogy. that's like switching a mouse for a trackpad.

    an ipad runs a different os than what's on a desktop, with different
    apps designed for touch. it's not a laptop without a keyboard.

    Guest, Apr 10, 2010
  14. RichA

    John A. Guest

    Or a mouse and keyboard for a touch screen. Hmmmm...
    So it's an oversized palmtop? (Come to think of it, my old Tungsten E
    is sounding more and more like an iPad writ small.)

    Other than the form factor and UI, what is fundamentally different
    about it? Other than running a different OS in order to support the
    form factor and UI, what is the difference between it and a laptop?

    Macs, Windows PCs, and Linux PCs have different OSes, each running
    programs designed for them and their UIs. Are they not all computers?

    John A., Apr 10, 2010
  15. My old university dept has to support users with all three kinds of
    computers, and there are some locations where only one type of machine
    and OS exists. But they want people to be able to move around and do
    their general purpose computer work anywhere. So they devised
    interfaces which make them all look and behave the same way when
    running the usual office applications. You can't easily tell the
    difference when running the usual office applications.

    In fact when I'm reading email or newsgroups at home I use an
    interface which not only runs the same on any Windows system as an
    office Linux machine, it even runs the same on my ancient and obscure
    Psion palmtop which runs the little known EPOC OS (versions of which
    some Nokia phones use).

    Chris Malcolm, Apr 10, 2010
  16. RichA

    Guest Guest

    it's an entirely different product category that does some of the same
    things as a traditional computer but with touch. the user experience is
    very different. it also does a number of things that are difficult or
    impossible on a desktop or laptop computer.

    Guest, Apr 10, 2010
  17. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    So what?

    J. Clarke, Apr 10, 2010
  18. RichA

    J. Clarke Guest

    Name one.

    J. Clarke, Apr 10, 2010
  19. RichA

    Guest Guest

    why not have both a car *and* a boat? :)

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphicar>

    Guest, Apr 10, 2010
  20. RichA

    tony cooper Guest