    rotating display or lens for shooting from the hip. It is
    annoying that the 10D doesn't have a rotating display
    and a digital preview.

    JK, Aug 30, 2003

  2. JK

    Godfrey Guest

    DSLRs in the current idiom cannot have a digital preview because the mirror
    is blocking the sensor when the shutter is not open. Also, because of the
    needs of the optical viewfinder system, the aperture is only at the set
    aperture when the shutter is open so you would at least need manual stop-down
    capabilities to view DoF in a live preview.

    I just made you three exposures (hand-held under cloudy-bright sunlight
    outdoors) at ISO 100, 400, 800 using matrix metering and EV compensation at
    +0.3 (I've found my F717 tends to underexpose by .3-.7EV on average in auto
    mode). The scene is an average distance shot. (It's a little hazy outside...
    That plus hand-holding are reducing sharpness by a little bit.) I chose this
    kind of shot as it tends to make noise more apparent, the only scene type
    that really shows it worse is dusk time low-light.

    The untouched, straight out of the camera files can be found at
    http://homepage.mac.com/godders/f717-iso-sample/DSC01095.JPG
    http://homepage.mac.com/godders/f717-iso-sample/DSC01096.JPG
    http://homepage.mac.com/godders/f717-iso-sample/DSC01097.JPG

    They're full-resolution JPEG Fine captures, so that's about 6.5-7Mbytes of
    image files altogether. The uploads should be complete in a couple of minutes
    at the time of this writing. I'll delete them in a couple of days to save
    space.

    Godfrey

    Godfrey, Aug 30, 2003

  3. JK

    JK Guest

    Thanks for the effort, however this does not show me how the different
    cameras vary in their image quality at ISO 400. What it does show
    is that image quality for the F717 is significantly worse at ISO 400
    than at ISO 100. For the 10D, it looks like the image quality difference
    is quite small between ISO 100 and ISO 400.

    JK, Aug 30, 2003
  4. JK

    JPS Guest

    In message <>,
    I consider ISO 100 to be "neutral density" mode on my 10D. I usually
    only use it when I want long shutter times and/or minimal
    depth-of-field. For images that do not require much in the way of level
    tweaking, ISO 400 is nearly noise-free. I also use ISO 100 for scenes
    with high dynamic range, so I can bring up the shadows without bringing
    up noise (quantization or posterization is more significant at ISO 100).

    JPS, Aug 30, 2003
  5. JK

    JK Guest

    I might buy a Digital Rebel in the fall, but its bulkiness, together with a lack

    of rotating display or lens and the lack of a preview function, as well as
    its noisy mirror and shutter make it unacceptable for shooting candid
    photos from the hip. I therefore need a different digital camera for this.

    JK, Aug 30, 2003