    I am looking a really good quality 19 inch monitor. Also needs to have some
    form of Dead pixel warranty. I am willing to spend up to $1600.
    Anyone have any recommendations?

    maz, Apr 8, 2005

  2. maz

    Jedmeister Guest

    It may help if you describe the intended use...gaming ???

    Jedmeister, Apr 8, 2005

  3. maz

    maz Guest

    Generally an all purpose monitor, but no I won't be using it for gaming, but
    yes to watching dvds. Mainly use it for CAD work as well as photo work,
    therefore the picture quality and colour reproduction is very important.
    Also pixel defects is a definate no.

    maz, Apr 8, 2005
  4. maz

    BILL Guest

    They are generally not to good for Photo work..

    Some of the faster one that list 16.2 million colours are in fact only 262k
    colours and do give poor overall colours.

    The extra colours are generated by pixel switching..

    And generally are a lot cheaper..

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/response-3.html

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/response-4.html

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/19inch-3.html

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/other/display/lcd-guide.html

    Tomshardware

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050110/index.html

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050215/index.html

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20040326/index.html

    BILL, Apr 8, 2005
  5. On a German webboard that deals exclusively with tft monitors I read
    that in their opinion the best for watching dvd movies is the
    Siemens/something monitor. Haven't found anyone selling it in NZ
    though. Apparently Iiyama is pretty durn good, too, again, I haven't
    found one on offer in Enzed. <sigh>

    My HP 1955 is not too bad so long as it's warmed up (about 15 mins) but
    the rendition of skin tones took a lot of tweaking in the dvd player
    software to get acceptable shades. Other than that it's a very nice
    monitor. It handles all the games I can throw at it with ease (don't
    play FPS, but Morrowind and Freelancer from time to time). Display is
    very crisp and interpolation of lower resolutions is very good indeed.
    (comparatively speaking)

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Apr 8, 2005
  6. maz

    gimp Guest

    dell have a good return policy, basically return any product in 15 days
    if you don't like it. never seen a Dell 19" in action tho so can't
    comment on the quality.

    if you wanted to go up another inch this ViewSonic might be pretty cool:

    3 year zero pixel fault warranty, and 1600x1200 res for that CAD work :)
    you'd probably be able to get it cheaper than that from somewhere else too.

    gimp, Apr 9, 2005
  7. maz

    CSE Guest

    And does it have 16.7 Million colours..

    CSE, Apr 9, 2005
  8. The Dell gear seems to depend on the batch, they use the same name for
    different models, but as a general rule, they have heaps better colour
    than the HP FP

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 10, 2005