Belkin We have a F5D7230-4 Wireless Router which we are trying tore-install after replacing out Bell

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Paul, Dec 9, 2006.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    We have a F5D7230-4 Wireless Router which we are trying to re-install
    after replacing out Bellsouth DSL.

    We are very confuse about our router. Our equipment has four
    Lan/Ethernet ports and one modem connection
    with a standard telephone connection and a black telephone cable in it.

    All your pictures on the internet show four Lan/ethernet ports and one
    Wan port and NO telephone modem connection.
    http://www.belkin.com/support/dl/F5D7230-4_QIG.pdf.

    We are obviously having difficulty connecting our router up with it
    telephone connection for a modem. But it was working before our DSL
    went out, but we don't know how the tech had it connected.

    The model number on the unit clearly says F5D7230-4 but it is not like
    any of the pictures we can find.

    Can you help us and tell us how the connections are suppose to be made?
    Do we have an old unit from before DSL's?

    We are older people living in a retirement community and can sure use
    some help.

    Thanks
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 9, 2006

  2. Paul

    beenthere Guest

    Use the same router here Paul, except mine is black with 2
    aerials.
    Go here for the install gude.

    http://www.belkin.com/support/article/?lid=en&pid=F5D7230-4&aid=5028&scid=0

    bw..OJ

    beenthere, Dec 9, 2006

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Dear BeenThere,

    On page three on the install guide where they have a picture of the
    layout the existing network cable connection has no place to plug it
    into the router. We have it plugged into one of the 4 ports labeled
    wired computers. The other port which isn't in this picture is labeled
    modem
    and has a telephone type plug on it, not a ethernet connector. This is
    the one we don't know where to plug it into.

    Need a picture of the back of our unit with the 4 blue ports
    for wired computers and the one green telephone connector for the old
    type modems (56kb).

    Thanks
    Paul

    Our Router has one aerial and is silver.
    Why did you mention yours was black with two aerials?

    Paul, Dec 9, 2006
  4. Paul

    beenthere Guest

    I know Belkin changed the case design on the F5D72304-4
    which means there is more than one config.
    Mine stands vertical on its base plate and is set up as follows.

    Six sockets on the back, from top.
    1. 1 of power socket
    2. 4 of LAN sockets (to computers)
    3. 1 of ethernet socket (from Modem)
    No telephone socket.

    Basically you connect the Ethernet cable (that comes out from the
    modem, to the Ether socket on the router..
    Then the cable\s for your computer\s connect from the Lan port\s,
    and into your computer Network Interface Card\s.
    SO. E-cable -> Modem -> Router -> computer\s.

    As for your phone socket, I can`t help, as mine doesn`t have one.

    Hope this has helped. bw..OJ

    beenthere, Dec 9, 2006
  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Thanks. We must have the old design.
    I have the computer and the DSL modem plugged into the LAN sockets as
    there is no separate ethernet socket or (WAN). Telephone connection is
    hanging in the breeze.
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 9, 2006
  6. Paul

    beenthere Guest

    snippedsnipped.

    Let`s start again Paul...

    Your router has 4 E ports, and 1 in port labelled Modem ?.
    Now what has your modem got in the way of ports.

    You Can connect a Modem straight into your computer.
    (without a router)
    So it (the modem ), has a cable coming in from the internet,
    and either 1 or 2 sockets out (ethernet/USB), these,or it,
    are used to connect to the `puter.
    You need a cable to go from your modem, to your router
    does that make sense.
    Check the back of the modem.

    bw..OJ

    beenthere, Dec 9, 2006
  7. Paul

    Flyer Guest

    He has a modem/router, for ADSL, which would connect (via the RJ11) to the
    incoming telephone line from his supplier. If he has a Cable modem, then he
    has the wrong router, he needs a Cable/DSL router, such as you have.

    P.

    Flyer, Dec 9, 2006
  8. Paul

    beenthere Guest

    It`s a bit weird `cos the OP has the same model as me, But,
    it shows a totally different looking device to mine, in the Belkin
    instal docs.

    beenthere, Dec 9, 2006
  9. Paul

    Paul Guest

    BeenThere,

    I'm soooo embarrassed. In looking over the Belkin Router F5D7230-4 I
    removed the telephone line and voilá; guess what was underneath the
    telephone connection-- an Ethernet socket. Apparently we had put the
    telephone cable in the socket in error and it click in and it never dawn
    on us that it really was an ethernet/Lan/Wan connection.

    Thanks for your help.
    Sorry for our stupidity
    Paul

    Paul, Dec 9, 2006