Belkin Pre-N connection stopped working

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by twarner, Jul 11, 2008.

  1. twarner

    twarner Guest

    I have a very strange problem I hope someone can shed some light on.
    My Windows XP SP2 computer with a Belkin F5D8000 Pre-N wireless card
    has problems connecting to my Belkin F5D8230-4 Wireless Pre-N router.

    The keys to this dilemma are as follows:
    1. Computer used to connect “excellently” to the said router using
    WEP64 . Now, without any computer hardware or location changes, it
    will not connect. Using Windows Zero Configuration, I can see the
    router but if I try to connect to it, the computer says it is no
    longer in range or has been disconnected.
    2. I can connect to my neighbor’s unprotected Linksys network with a
    low signal strength.
    3. As the computer boots, I see Event IDs 4201 and then 4202 (…the
    adapter's network configuration has been released) about 15 seconds
    later.
    4. Over the past two long weeks, I’ve uninstalled/reinstalled the
    drivers and rebooted computers, modems, and routers countless times.
    I have also cleaned out the instances of wireless networks in the HKLM
    current control sets as well as deleted all Belkin and Airgo keys in
    the registry before reloading the drivers. I’ve run netsh Winsock
    reset commands, winsockxpfix.exe, and have kept my Trend Micro from
    starting while troubleshooting. I’ve left DHCP as auto and tried
    configuring my TCP/IP address manually.
    5. I put my computer back to a previous working system state from a
    few months ago using Microsoft Backup.
    6. My 802.11b/g phone (non Pre-N) connects to my wireless router
    within a few seconds when the phone is located right next to the
    computer in question. My trusted neighbor (has WEP key) can connect
    to my network with his non Pre-N equipped laptop.
    7. I installed a fresh Operating System on my computer’s second hard
    drive, booted off the second hard drive, loaded the Belkin drivers,
    installed the card, and still can’t connect to my network but can
    connect to my neighbor’s Linksys.
    8. I’ve installed the F5D8000 in my old spare computer running XP SP1
    and located it right next to my problem computer and the old computer
    connected almost immediately to my network.
    9. I put the F5D8000 back into the problem computer and no connection
    to my network.
    10. I turned off security on the router with no improvement.
    11. Based on Belkin’s recommendation, I changed the channel on the
    router. I changed it from “auto” to 3 (randomly chosen) and now I can
    connect.

    One would think that this is an interference issue from a new
    broadcaster in the area but why did the old SP1 computer using the
    suspected Belkin card, my phone (both physically next to the problem
    computer), and my neighbor’s laptop connect?

    Based on the information above, one logical conclusion would be there
    is something strange going on related to the said computer’s
    motherboard since both hard drive/OS combinations failed while my old
    computer worked fine with the same wireless card. However, why would
    a channel change fix the issue?

    I haven’t exercised the connection very much since last night to be
    confident of its stability. I’m also afraid to turn security back on
    since it is working now. I’m also thinking the stability (in terms of
    time) has not been factored into my troubleshooting. What I may have
    thought was a good based on a two minute connection, might have been
    unstable. Conversely, what I presumed was a bad connection might have
    resolved itself after a few minutes. However, after two weeks of
    troubleshooting, I was running out of patience.

    Can someone shed some light on what is going on?

    Thanks in advance

    twarner, Jul 11, 2008

  2. twarner

    Barb Bowman Guest

    what happens if you use WPA2 or WPA? (WEP is not safe at all).

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jul 11, 2008

  3. twarner

    twarner Guest

    I haven’t tried changing security other than disabling it completely.
    I figured when troubleshooting, connecting to a non-secured network is
    the way to start. Enabling WPA was going to be my next level of
    putting things back to normal after confirming my current fix is
    stable. I originally used WEP because my Dell Axim didn’t have WPA
    capabilities but I have retired that device. I don't think my router
    is WPA2 capable.

    twarner, Jul 11, 2008
  4. twarner

    Barb Bowman Guest

    set the PRE N router to mixed b/g/n and try WPA2.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jul 11, 2008
  5. twarner

    John Guest

    Not really an answer to your problem (sorry). Just want to say that I agree
    with your approach. Disable security during troubleshooting. Don't add more
    variable to the problem while troubleshooting. Bump up your security to (at
    least) WPA after you resolve your connection issue.

    John, Jul 11, 2008
  6. twarner

    John Guest

    I don't think my router is WPA2 capable.

    John, Jul 11, 2008
  7. twarner

    twarner Guest

    WZC on my desktop does not have the WPA2 selection although my router
    supports it. I tried using the Belkin configuration tool years ago
    but belkin suggested WZC and my system performed better. My phone
    supports WPA2 but the phone screen updates get real choppy and full of
    repeated pixals. I'm lucky I was able to set the router back to
    disabled security with the phone since I don't have a handy computer
    to connect by wire. I will try WPA-PSK AES.

    Shouldn't I set up the wireless router for g only since all my
    computers are g capable? Was your suggestion of WPA2 for connection
    stability or security reasons? I'm trying to establish a stable
    connection before concerning myself with security.

    Thanks for the help

    twarner, Jul 11, 2008
  8. twarner

    John Guest

    John, Jul 11, 2008
  9. twarner

    Barb Bowman Guest

    there are lots of differing opinions as to how to trouble shoot
    wireless. In my opinion, I'd never recommend that anyone disable
    security because even doing this for a short period could end up
    haunting you the rest of your life if someone breaks in and has
    access to your network.

    typically, make sure you have the latest drivers for the wireless
    card itself and either XPSP3 or the standalone update already
    mentioned, use Windows Zero Config to configure settings and
    security.

    I suggested mixed mode because of the phone.

    try to get the computer working first.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jul 12, 2008
  10. twarner

    twarner Guest

    The router stopped broadcasting wirelessly and I couldn't connect
    wired either. I was able to log on normally the next day and
    transfer data for about an hour before the router stopped working
    again. I connected briefly wired but it locked up again. I reset the
    router with the reset switch and was able to load half the routers
    utility page at 192.168.2.1 before it stopped working again. All
    lights on the unit seemed normal but no data transfer. I tried DHCP
    as well as a static address. So after three weeks of intermittent
    operation that I couldn't pin down to the router or the desktop card,
    the router finally died.

    The good news is Belkin is sending replacements to both my desktop
    card and router. The better news is since Belkin no longer makes the
    Pre-N models, they are sending me the N1 units at no extra cost. I
    hope they work as well as my Pre-N's once did. Pretty good customer
    service I must say.

    Thanks for your responses. BTW, my HTC Titan (xv6800) phone is b/g
    compliant.

    twarner, Jul 15, 2008
  11. twarner

    Barb Bowman Guest

    sounds like good news in the long run. please let us know results
    when you have everything up and running.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jul 16, 2008
  12. twarner

    twarner Guest

    I installed the new N1 desktop card and router. I connected with WZC
    with excellent signal strength and a speed of 300Mbps. I am using
    WPA2-PSK AEC security. However, my connection has been dropping after
    being connected for around 10 minutes. The icon shows I am connected
    but web pages come up with "cannot be found".

    Furthermore, the Belkin utility does not function - the "cancel
    changes" and "save changes" buttons on the options page are grayed
    out. The option to use the belkin utility or to use the standard XP
    utility button is stuck on use the belkin utility. I've have
    uninstalled everything and loaded the latest drivers and utility
    (2.0.0.50) from the belkin web site with no inprovement.

    I installed everything from a fresh XP install on my other harddrive,
    booted from this drive, and everything works perfect. Therefore, I
    think it is a windows problem. I did notice that the network
    properties on the fresh install of XP shows a "link-layer topology
    discovery responder" protocol that was not installed in the old XP. I
    have copied and installed the drivers for this protocol from the new
    XP folders to the old XP folders and things seem to be working with
    WZC so far except for the belkin utility. I'll keep you posted on my
    progress.

    I am at a loss why I can't get the Belkin utility working on the old
    XP. Something must be currupt and it looks more and more that I
    should bite the bullet and reinstall windows. The belkin utility
    shows what channels my neighbor's 11 networks are on to help me pick a
    clear channel. I think there is some permission or something that was
    changed by a recent virus that is not allowing the belkin utility to
    function.

    twarner, Jul 19, 2008
  13. twarner

    twarner Guest

    I spoke to soon. When I tried to submit this post I was stuck again.
    I have to click the network icon in the system tray and select
    "repair" to get another 10 minutes of connection. Hmmm.....

    twarner, Jul 19, 2008
  14. twarner

    Barb Bowman Guest

    virus? when did you discover THIS?
    I'd recommend that you do a clean bare metal install. boot from the
    XP CD, delete and recreate the partition, than format it and
    install.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jul 20, 2008
  15. twarner

    twarner Guest

    June 4th. I had a lot of weird things going on. My modem and my
    satellite box power supplies failed within a couple of days of each
    other while I was fighting a virus (www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/
    topic151913.html). I restored back to pre-virus days and did a pretty
    thorough cleaning ran a lot of fixes but the router/network card were
    acting up before the virus. I'm afraid the clean-up and fixes
    corrupted something that is not allowing the belkin utility to
    properly load.

    I agree with you, the best and proper solution would be to recreate
    the partition, format, and reinstall. My system has been running for
    a couple of years and could probably use it. However, I just can't
    stand not being able to repair something. Reformatting is like giving
    up :eek:(

    Thanks for your responses Barb.

    twarner, Jul 20, 2008
  16. twarner