Belkin N300 Router Security Log Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raxter54, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Raxter54

Raxter54

I am using a Belkin N300 wireless router hooked up to a Motorola cable modem. I am using NewWave as my ISP. I have been getting good service at around 16Mbps. In the last week, I have been experiencing sporadic slow-downs in internet speed. When I look at the router's security log, I see alot of these entries:

11/15/2013 18:46:40 WAN side client access Virtual Server [BitTorrent Client]
    11/15/2013 18:46:39 WAN side client access Virtual Server [BitTorrent Client]
    11/15/2013 18:46:38 WAN side client access Virtual Server [BitTorrent Client]
    11/15/2013 18:46:38 WAN side client access Virtual Server [BitTorrent Client]

Neither my wife or I download BitTorrent files, so I was wondering what is going on here? Has someone hacked into my network and are using it to download files? I'm going to change my password and maybe network name and see what happens. Just curious as to what is going on. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Raxter54, Nov 16, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. Raxter54

Jalk

To me it sounds very likely someone is using your router/internet connection with out your permission. Be sure you are NOT using WEP for security. WEP is very easily cracked. Instead use an encryption protocol such as WPA.

Change your encryption protocol, set a strong password, restart your router and reconnect your devices.

If you still see the bittorrent messages in your security log, know it may also be possible you have a bittorrent client running on a computer, maybe even hidden. Go to each computer and try to find the bittorrent application and change its settings or uninstall it.

Probably more information than needed but.... For a more experienced Windows user you can click Start -> Run -> Then type in: "msconfig" with out the quotes -> Hit Enter. The "System Configuration" window now opens up. Select the "Startup" Tab and look there for programs that run when your computer starts. Uncheck any bittorrent client.

If you mess things up and your computer wont boot properly. During the boot process keep hitting the F8 key on your keyboard. Which will bring up the windows boot menu. Select the option "Last Known Good Configuration"

Good luck!! =)

Jalk, Nov 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question