    Hi all,

    Thinking of buying one of these. Anyone got any experience good or
    bad? I'm sick of waiting for the D-Link DSL-G604T.

    Dogg, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Dogg

    EMB Guest

    After the trouble I've had with other Belkin products (USB hubs and the
    like), I'll never buy another Belkin product.

    2c

    EMB, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Dogg

    -=rjh=- Guest

    I got sick of waiting, too - ended up buying a TRENDnet TEW-435BRM,
    which are available locally (Petone) off the shelf for about the same
    price as the D-Link. Seems OK, no problems so far, but I installed it
    only yesterday.

    -=rjh=-, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Dogg

    Nigel Guest

    It's nice enough, I think linksys has more control & a nicer web
    gui for wifi & firewall setup, it's pretty basic functionality.

    The firewall is rock, performance good ( motorola wifi card, dell 8500 ).

    I haven't played with opening up ports for www or ftp, but I've setup 128
    WEP, it's got MAC address filtering.

    Only real gripe is only one browser ( system control ) connected @ a time,
    which can be annoying if you have multiple computers & nothing if you
    wanted to track where the kids are surfing like the linksys has.

    Nigel

    Nigel, Oct 5, 2004
  5. Dogg

    Nigel Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 22:31:14 +1300, Nigel wrote:

    Oh you have to know the VPI/VCI pairing, it's wrong by default & not real
    easy to swap over to jetstreamgamesrealm.

    Nigel

    Nigel, Oct 5, 2004
  6. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    They're doing away with that soon BTW...stupid Telecom.

    Dogg, Oct 5, 2004
  7. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    I bought a Linksys WAG54G for a customer about 4 months ago and yes,
    it does indeed have a nice easy interface. I had problems with port
    forwarding in that model and despite many firmware revsions later, it
    still persists. I still think D-Link is the best for what I
    want...they just work. My trusty DSL-504 has been ticking along since
    I bought it.

    Dogg, Oct 5, 2004
  8. stupid telecom?
    they're only doing away with it because it will no longer be technically
    possible to do it.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 5, 2004
  9. Dogg

    Dogg Guest

    Yeah well...they're still stupid.... ;)

    Dogg, Oct 5, 2004
  10. Dogg

    Nigel Guest

    Yeah, they are limiting the connection speed rather than downstream which
    technically seems alot more elegant & scalable.

    I'm not sure it'll make alot of difference for gaming ( though I'm not
    into that alot ), but for downloading large files eg. linux :), the
    jetstreamrealm was incredibly helpful, are they still keeping the game
    servers though ?.

    Though once 2mb is a reasonable price it all becomes a bit of a mute
    point, which I imagine is how telecom saw it going.

    Nigel

    Nigel, Oct 6, 2004
  11. dont know, but in theory, each ISP could offer their own "free traffic
    no speed cap" realm once they have the wholesale access.
    it depends on how the retail package works... and whether it is allowed
    I guess.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 6, 2004
  12. Dogg

    whoisthis Guest

    The WAG54G I have crashes regularly when you use the 802.11G, if you
    lock it into B then its fine.

    whoisthis, Oct 6, 2004
  13. Dogg

    Dogg Guest