Belkin 54G Wireless Router Problems

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Ricky, Sep 9, 2006.

  1. Ricky

    Ricky Guest

    Hi

    I'm trying to connect the aforementioned Router to my DSL modem, but it
    doesn't seem to connect.

    I have a cable modem (Telewest - Motorola) this is currently plugged
    straight in to my network card at on the PC.

    I have now plugged this ethernet cable in to the Router and then a cable
    from the router to the network card in the PC.

    After I try to configure the Router, it can't seem to connect. Before the
    router gets attached, the internet connection is just fine with a perfectly
    valid IP address, from the ISP. After the Router gets connected, then the
    IP address changes to a 169.XXX.XX.X type of address, apologies, I didn't
    make a note of it. I think it's the default IP address that MS assigns when
    a new device is found on the network.

    I've been told that this address should be my oringal default gateway
    address originating from my ISP?

    I'm confused?

    Any help?

    Thanks in advance for any help given.

    Kind Regards

    Ricky
    (WIN2K-SP4 / Netgear FA31 Fast Ethernet PCI adapter / Belkin DSL Gateway
    Router - F5D7230-4)

    Ricky, Sep 9, 2006

  2. Hi
    The Router's WAN port (the one that goes to the Modem) gets assigned with
    the ISP's external IP address. If you need to authenticate read this,
    http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
    Your computer should get a private IP assigned by the Router
    (192.168.xxx.xxx).
    Look at the TCP/IP properties in the Control Panel/Network Connection
    http://www.ezlan.net/network/altIP.jpg Make sure that it is set to Auto
    obtain IP and DNS, and then reboot
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 9, 2006

  3. Ricky

    Lem Guest

    Your cable modem probably is looking for the MAC address of the network
    card that was used when you first connected (the one in your PC). You
    can either use the "clone MAC address" feature in the Belkin router or
    there may be some way to reset the cable modem. I don't know if this
    can be done by unplugging the cable modem for a few minutes or if you
    would have to call your ISP.

    Lem, Sep 9, 2006
  4. Ricky

    Ricky Guest

    Hi Jack

    thank you kindly for you reply, I seem to get an IP address starting with
    169.XX etc..., I've been told that this is the default IP address assinged
    by Windows, is this correct, or is this a defect of the router?

    Kind Regards

    Ricky

    Ricky, Sep 9, 2006
  5. Ricky

    Ricky Guest

    Also, i fogot to mention, I do not seemt to get the 192.XXX number that you
    mention?

    Ricky, Sep 9, 2006
  6. Ricky

    Lem Guest

    You are getting an APIPA address -- this is what Windows does if the NIC
    is configured to use DHCP but no DHCP server can be found.
    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/A/APIPA.html

    In your original post, you wrote that you were trying to connect the
    router to your DSL modem, and then you wrote that have a cable modem.
    Are you trying to use both? Switch from cable to DSL? Something else?

    Lem, Sep 10, 2006
  7. Ricky

    ricky Guest

    Apologies, is DSL and Cable not the same type? Didn't meant to confuse.

    I live in the UK and my provider is Telewest Cable.

    ricky, Sep 11, 2006
  8. Something seems to be setup wrong. You should be getting something in the
    192.168.0.xxx range from the router. When you plug the wire into the router,
    does the router show that a cable is connected? Are you using the cable that
    came with the router to connect the router to the computer, or the cable
    that came with the modem? Look at the leds on your network card when
    connected to the cable modem, are they the same color when connected to the
    router?

    This basic connection between the computer and router should work even if
    the router is not connected to the cable modem. Is the router new? You might
    want to try resetting the router to the factory default setting, should be a
    button you press when powering it up.

    David Hettel
    Microsoft MVP Mobile Devices

    David Hettel MVP MobileDevices, Sep 12, 2006
  9. Ricky

    ricky Guest

    Hello Dave

    Thanks for your email. Thanks for the suggestions. I connected the Router
    directly to the PC, without going via the Modem and then I performed a
    factory reset a few times, and voila, I now can connect to the 192.168.2.1
    IP address for configuring the Router.

    Just hooked it up as a pass through with the modem and it works, I can
    finally connect to the internet. Just need to try this with a wireless
    client of somesort.

    Kind regards

    Ricky

    ricky, Sep 13, 2006
  10. Ricky

    roco88

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    i also have same issue

    i also have the same problem...i cant get my PC to read or see my router when i got to run>cdm>ipconfig

    i usually get a "no media" connected thing meaning its probably looking for the network adapter of my PC then of the router when connected together. anyways can someone post all the steps and include wat i have to type in the (TCP/IP) settings?i have a F5D7230-4 router (ver 4001)so you guys think its better to do all this after i shut the PC down for the night?since i always leave my cable modem off/stanby through the nigth also.

    i know this is an old thread but i really need help. thanx

    roco88, Oct 10, 2006