    should I buy for it, thanks to all who reply and thanks to all who took the
    time to read and hopefully help me out,

    Steve

    Steve Gibson, Feb 16, 2004

  2. Steve Gibson

    Don Guest

    Yes it's a good camera - I've used mine for about 3 years now, all over the
    world. You will find that it sometimes has a hard time autofocusing,
    especially in low light conditions. If it won't focus, point it at a
    different spot in the scene and push the shutter release half-way down, them
    point it back where you want it while holding the release half-way down,
    then push the release all the way down to snap the shutter. The telling is
    more complicated than the doing.

    You probably won't want any accessories other than a CF card reader and more
    or larger cards, depending on what what came with the camera. I have two
    1GB cards (one is a microdrive, actually), but that's mostly because I shoot
    everything in RAW mode which makes large files. If you shoot JPEG, 1GB
    cards are probably an overkill.

    Enjoy

    Don

    Don, Feb 16, 2004

  3. Steve Gibson

    Mark Herring Guest

    How would we know that?---what do you use a camera for?
    For what?? You would buy accessories to do something---eg wide angle
    adapter.
    Step one: get a supply of batteries, charger, memory cards, etc. How
    much depends on how long you plan to be away from power, your
    computer, etc.

    Step two: take pictures

    Step three: decide if you are getting the pictures you want

    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Feb 17, 2004
  4. Steve Gibson

    Paul H. Guest

    I'm a little shaky about step two. When you take a picture, should the
    object you've pointed your camera at normally catch fire? And how often
    should you adjust your laser-based focussing accessory?

    Paul H., Feb 17, 2004
  5. Steve,
    the G2 is an excellent camera with some slight drawbacks. The most irksome for
    me is shutter lag (focusing time) and time to first shot when switching on.
    Picture quality is superb. Take into account that outdoor shots before 9 am and
    after 3 pm are to be prefered (CCD sensors are prone to washed out bright
    subjects).
    A battery load will hold for up to 800 shots or several hours LCD use. A spare
    battery can be bought cheaply (eg. ebay) but don't buy the cheapest, look for
    overload protection (at least that's what advertisers say).
    A picture file size of about 1.3 MB is sufficient for high quality prints.
    Several 128 MB or two 256 MB CF cards should be ample.
    As to add on lenses for wide angle and tele it's up to your usage. But take
    into account added weight and volume to carry around.

    Have some nice shots printed at 8x10", you will be surprised by the quality.

    Kind regards
    Guenter

    Guenter Fieblinger, Feb 17, 2004