Beginner - Need help on lens choice for canon digital rebel

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Moe, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. Moe

    Moe Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I've been interested in photography for quite some time now but never
    had my hands on anything better than a sub $300 point & shoot.
    Admittingly I've been looking forward to the sony f828 as an option
    that might output quality photos while saving $$$ on lenses - but
    after i've seen the sample images of the production units online
    (pretty recently - this week), i've decided to bite the bullet and get
    me a canon 300d digital rebel instead. I'm planning to skip the
    packaged lens and buy the body-only camera, and put the saved $100
    towards a better lens. I've been eyeing the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 for a
    first lens (this would translate to an 80mm with the x1.6 factor !!) -
    would this be a wise choice for me beginning "serious" photography
    with? It would be for general use such as portraits and landscapes. Or
    should I save up for something more versatile such as canon's
    24-70/2.4 L zoom? Need your opinion on a quality-comes-first basis.

    Do you have other canon quality primes that are good to begin with
    (especially wider focal lengths)?

    Thanks in advance for all those willing to share their experience..

    Moe

    Moe, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Moe

    Jim Waggener Guest

    Oi vey

    Jim Waggener, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Moe

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Moe

    Banjopikr1 Guest

    I'm planning to skip the
    Moe
    The kit lens IS a decent lens. Because it costs only $100 more with the camera,
    people seem to think its a cheap lens. It is not. There have been quite a few
    posts from people who did not buy the lens, and now are looking for it. About
    $250 on Ebay. I would not sell mine for $250. Its a good all around lens.The
    pics are sharp.
    I bought the 75-300mm IS USM for a second lens. Its awesome. A good second lens
    would be the 55-200mm. Getting only a 50mm lens puts you in an almost P&S
    situation, but fancy P&S. You really need a zoom if you are going to do a
    varity of pic situations.
    Your suggestion of the 24-70 is a excellent all around lens.

    Ken

    Banjopikr1, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Moe

    Jim Waggener Guest

    So, you bought a DReb didya.

    Jim Waggener, Jan 3, 2004
  6. Good advice, Ken. The kit lens is much more than decent for the price. And
    the 75-300 IS is truly awesome. Check this out:

    http://home.comcast.net/~charlesschuler/wsb/media/291308/site1046.jpg

    Charles Schuler, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Moe

    Banjopikr1 Guest

    And
    Awesome pic. Nothing soft about the focus .Well done

    Ken

    Banjopikr1, Jan 3, 2004
  8. For the Digital Rebel / EOS 300D the kit lens is considered
    to be of very good optical quality, far surpassing the $100
    you pay for it. So it is worth getting.

    People also likes the 50mm f/1.8 from Canon (Have ordered mine).

    From here on, people with the need of a zoom either goes
    ultrazoom (28-200mm or 28-300mm), or a more normal
    55-200 / 70-300 zoom.

    But the 28-135mm IS (Image Stabilized) is also very
    popular.

    Povl H. Pedersen, Jan 3, 2004