    (first exam), or obtain the 2005 study material and forget about the old
    track? I just want the cert to look good on the resume and we are already
    using 2005 beta framework at my current job.

    Joe, Nov 1, 2005

  2. If your not planning on getting all the certs in the upcomming 6 months I
    would skip the mcad/mcsd.

    What you should do is to get the
    Analyzing Requirements and Defining Microsoft .NET Solution Architectures

    That looks good and can be considerd a "warm up".

    Best regards Björn Olsson
    Head of Technology
    Centre for Business Solutions
    Gothenburg School of Economics and Commercial Law
    University of Göteborg
    Department of Business and Administration
    PO BOX 610
    SE-405 30 Gothenburg Sweden
    P: +46317732767
    C: +46708630872
    F: +46317734754

    Björn Olsson, Nov 2, 2005

  3. Hi I'm planning to finish the exams for MCAD after the second semester next
    year...can you explain why do you think is better to skip this?

    Gustavo.

    Gustavo Ringel, Nov 2, 2005
  4. Microsoft is starting up a new certification program for visual studio 2005.
    the mcsd/mcad will become retired.

    For more inormation look at microsoft.com->learning tools

    Björn Olsson, Nov 2, 2005
  5. Joe

    EggHead Guest

    The exams will not be retired until mid-2007. BTW, why give yourself reason
    to play video game because you are waiting for the next exam?
    If you understand the basic stuff, you should be able to finish MCSD within
    a year by studying the MS press.
    Egghead

    EggHead, Nov 2, 2005
  6. You have a point but there are many other interesting areas that you can aim
    at.
    CISSP for instance.

    //B

    Björn Olsson, Nov 3, 2005
  7. Joe

    C. Hunter Guest

    That's not a developer certification...

    C. Hunter, Nov 26, 2005
  8. Mr Hunter....
    Im well aware of it not beeing a developer certification but as a
    consultant/architect the more versatile you are, the better it is. The easier
    you can get people to pay for your services and the more you can charge them.

    Speaking for my self I am currently MCAD, going for a MCSD before new year.
    Looking to conquer CISSP and some MBS certifications after that.

    Take care.

    Björn Olsson, Nov 26, 2005
  9. Joe

    Sean Guest

    I am MCAD and the reason I have decided not to go MCSD is becuase I didnt
    take a "server" exam as an elective. Naturally the choice would be SQL
    Server. However with 2.0 SQL and .Net platform itself is more intergrated and
    it seems to me a waste of learning.

    Sean, Dec 5, 2005
  10. Joe

    Sean Guest

    Here is my view.

    Kind of depends on how many exams you already have toward MCAD but I have
    done some reading on 2.0 so here is my view on this subject.

    If you are not going to be looking for new work before mid 2006 I think it
    will serve you much better in the long run to study everything you can on 2.0
    instead. Its not a radical upgrade but it is pretty massive.

    Imagine walking into a new possible job knowing that ASP.NET 2.0
    automatically renders controls for mobile devices without nearly no code at
    all. Once I read a chapter on that I could help but think of how many jobs
    will be lost becuase of that one feature alone.

    ASP.NET 2.0 has so many new massive features it like they are throwing in
    the towel on web apps for the more perfered future of desktop apps accessing
    SOA

    Sean, Dec 5, 2005
  11. Joe

    Sven Guest

    Hi all,

    I am a software developer for almost 10 years now. I wrote programs
    using different languages such as rpg, cobol, vb5/6 and vb.net.
    want to make the WinApps exam (70-306), the WebApps exam (70-305) and
    the XML exam (70-310).

    I do not want to wait and already went over the 70-306 self paced book
    for the first time. Anyway, I will do that exam somewhere in january.

    Does it make sense to do continue doing all three exams. In other words
    will Microsoft retire one of those exams in 2006 ?

    Afterwards I can do some upgrade exam toward VS 2005, so I'm not
    hesitating to do the first exam, but want to be sure that it has sense
    to study those 3 exams and get my MCAD by end of june 2006.

    thanks for your reply
    Sven

    Sven, Dec 21, 2005
  12. Joe

    Sean Guest

    Here are some bullet points

    1. New exams (not upgrade exams) are coming out in the first quarter of 2006
    (very soon).

    2. Although .Net 2.0 has added many features which will keep us all in study
    ADO.Net has been extreemly simplified and the MCAD exams love to focus on
    ADO.Net so in my view learning the details of ADO.NET 1.1 would be legacy
    study.

    3. If I was 1/3 into it at this point in time I personally would still go
    ..Net 2.0 however, having both 1.1 and 2.0 on the resume in 2006 would be
    pretty slick. So its hard to say I suppose.

    Sean, Dec 21, 2005