  1. Allan

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Are you intentionally trying to miss the point?

    Mike Kohary, Feb 16, 2005

  2. Allan

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Allan, stop. Please.

    Mike Kohary, Feb 16, 2005

  3. I swore I just read that DVD just now surpassed VHS sales, maybe I
    misread that. Regardless, I have nothing against HD home video but
    I am being honest in what I feel will happen with it. Yes I like the best
    picture and sound, but at what point does one get to until he/she finally
    decides that its enough.

    Honestly, my DVD collection is over 500 plus titles. I'm not about
    to throw away that just because not one but two bigger formats are
    about to hit the market - and honestly its unknown between the two
    which will survive if any. Look at the whole SACD vs DVD-Audio
    "war" that happened.

    If I ever do jump onto the HD home video bandwagon, it will be when
    its down to ONE format, the players are cheap enough to buy, the
    standard DVD-Video format (along with SACD and DVD-A) can be
    played on it, and I feel confident enough in making the move. Even then,
    there's only a few titles that I would rebuy on such a format henseforth
    its going to be a long time before I jump to any HD home video format.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Feb 16, 2005
  4. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Can't prove it.. like most of your "claims". Not surprising.
    You can't even remember the "claims" you make.

    You wrote:

    "Not entirely true. For 'some' titles, DVD and VHS(if the vhs version
    was priced for sell-through) sales were neck and neck up until early
    2003 or so. Infact, strangely enough, the VHS version of Finding Nemo
    managed to sell many millions of copies and ended up making Disney a
    buttload of extra dough."

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 16, 2005
  5. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Defeat? Your unsubstantiated "Claims" often fall into the "pathetic"
    category.

    You know how many "average joe's" said "I have to buy a new machine...
    new 'movies' .. and some box just so I can watch this dvd thing? Why
    bother ... I'll stick with VHS." And that is a fact... I heard it
    last summer...
    Your big 'claim' about HD DVD is why would someone buy a machine when
    they don't have a HDTV! The fact is that you will be able to hook up
    HD machines to the TV's most folks have now. And while you will not
    the full benefit of HD.. it will work. Just like folks do with regular
    DVD.
    Another large sampling by statistician "Black Locust"
    Congratulations... keep buying Regular dvds.. the movie companies
    love people like you.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 16, 2005
  6. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Kill file... learn it .. love it. Don't like the facts... you
    certainly do not have to read them/comment on them. Especially when
    you often have zero to add to the discussion.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 16, 2005
  7. Allan

    selaboc Guest

    That's because he didn't claim "sales were neck and neck up until early
    2003" he claimed
    "****For 'some' titles**** sales were neck and neck up until early 2003
    or so"
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    By clipping his statement of key words you invented a claim that he
    didn't make.

    selaboc, Feb 16, 2005
  8. Allan

    Justin Guest

    When did wild hairs pulled out of your rear end become "the facts"?

    Justin, Feb 16, 2005
  9. Allan

    selaboc Guest

    I particularily liked how he equates holding a view that is not in
    lock-step agremment with his own as "often have zero to add to the
    discussion". With every post, Allan proves he is the 16-year old
    mentioned in his sig file.

    selaboc, Feb 16, 2005
  10. Allan

    selaboc Guest

    So assuming HD-DVD is just as fast as DVD was (which is very doubtful)
    by your OWN numbers HD_DVD won't be the "dominant" format until
    somewhere around Jul 2010 which is a bit longer than your 2008
    prediction.

    DVD first went on sale in Japan in 1996, the US in 1997.
    Sales of DVDs did not surpass those of VHS until 2001 (and DVD rentals
    did not surpass VHS rentals until 2003 according to the Video Software
    Dealer's Association (VSDA) annual report (Google them if you are not
    familiar with their annual report). In 2002 (for example) while DVD was
    65% of the sales of videos, it was only 35% of rentals. so DVD wasn't
    completely dominant until 2003 (which would push your HD-DVD dominance
    date back until 2012, assuming same speed as DVD).

    selaboc, Feb 16, 2005
  11. Allan

    selaboc Guest

    Where's your source for this "claim"?
    Oh, i see it's from Allan's big statistaical sample of 1 (himself and
    all his imaginary friends). I can hook up a DVD player to ANY TV I want
    (including models from the early 70s, before the VCR hit the market and
    thus before Video/Audio in jacks on TVs). How I can do it has already
    been mentioned several times by other posters. So once again, you are
    talking about things which you clearly know nothing about.

    selaboc, Feb 16, 2005
  12. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Definition for: killfile

    A file for some Usenet reading programs which automatically discards
    certain articles according to criteria set up by the reader, such as
    subject or author.Items (such as people or subjects) added to the kill
    file will not be shown for reading.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 16, 2005
  13. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Look it up... google.com
    Your VCR needs to be so old it doesn't have Macrovision built in....
    now that's old.
    *yawn*

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 16, 2005
  14. Allan

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    Facts?? When have you posted any facts? You've basically quoted
    industry sources. And industry sources tend to be optimistic. If you
    listen to the RIAA the entire decrease in CD sales is caused by p2p
    downloading, and if you listen to MLB they will tell you that all the
    teams are losing money (but of course they don't show the books). So
    basically all you've done is say that HiDef roolz and everyone will be
    jumping on the bandwagon Real Soon Now.

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Feb 17, 2005
  15. Allan

    Justin Guest

    Allan wrote on [Wed, 16 Feb 2005 18:38:16 -0500]:
    No, it doesn't. I have a 6 year old machine that only turns the
    macrovision when it's in record mode. Otherwise it's fine.

    Justin, Feb 17, 2005
  16. Allan

    Allan Guest

    What's the model?

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 17, 2005
  17. Allan

    Justin Guest

    Panasonic 9451

    Justin, Feb 17, 2005
  18. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Thanks.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 17, 2005
  19. Allan

    selaboc Guest

    Considering your trollish behavior, I find that rather unbelievable.
    As you are the one to make the assertion, the burden of proof is on
    you. You can't expect other people to do your work for you (besides
    which disproving a your fantasy's is more effort than a troll like you
    is worth).
    not all newsreaders have killfiles and not all users care to use them
    even when they are available (fortunately for trolls like you).

    selaboc, Feb 17, 2005
  20. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Nope... first time!!! Sweet!.
    Yeah... thinking HD DVD players just might have RCA/Component outputs
    is a fantasy.
    Guess taking time to reply to my post was worth the effort...
    That's your assertion... the burden of proof is on you.
    Well that's true.
    Called Troll three times in one post! Thanks for adding so much to
    this discussion. Time to head back class after recess.

    Let me know what news reader you use... and I'll tell you how to set
    up a killfile.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 17, 2005