Because we’re maybe nine months away.........

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Feb 8, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Want a different link to the same story?

    http://digital-lifestyles.info/display_page.asp?section=distribution&id=1569

    http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/54035

    or:

    http://www.convergedigest.com/satellite/satellitearticle.asp?ID=13363

    "DIRECTV Demonstrates MPEG-4 AVC HD via Satellite

    DIRECTV has demonstrated the first live MPEG-4 AVC/DVB-S2
    high-definition (HD) transmission via satellite. DIRECTV plans to use
    the encoding technology to expand its video offer by launching
    hundreds of local and national HD channels later this year and in
    2007. The demonstration used equipment from Tandberg,
    Radyne/Comstream, Conexant, Broadcom and ST Microelectronics."

    http://www.spacenewsfeed.co.uk/2005/9January2005_8.html

    "DirecTV Demonstrates World's First Live MPEG-4 AVC HD Transmission
    via Satellite

    (6 January 2005) DirecTV, Inc., the USA's leading and fastest-growing
    digital television service provider has demonstrated the world's first
    live MPEG-4 AVC/DVB-S2 (Moving Picture Expert Group - Advanced Video
    Compression/Digital Video Broadcast - Satellite 2) high-definition
    (HD) transmission via satellite at the 2005 International Consumer
    Electronics Show (CES).

    The new standard in transmission and video compression was
    demonstrated on an HD television set in the DirecTV booth at CES, and
    will be used by DirecTV to expand its video offer by launching
    hundreds of local and national HD channels later this year and in
    2007."

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 14, 2005

  2. Doubtful Allan. DVD is now just outselling VHS after 8 years of DVD
    being on the market, I doubt HD-DVD/Bluray is going to just
    take over the market in even less time.

    Like I've been saying, whatever format between the two wins will be
    the next Laserdisc for a long time. Nothing wrong with that to be honest,
    as even with a small following it is another choice on the market for
    people looking for the best of the best.

    Brian The Demolition Man Little

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Allan

    Allan Guest

    ??? Just now?

    March 1997

    Batman is the first of 50 DVD titles released by Warner Home Video.

    November 2001

    Monthly sales of DVD movies surpass those of VHS.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 15, 2005
  4. Allan

    Mike Kohary Guest

    So, that took 4 1/2 years. For a format that no one had to buy a new TV
    for.

    Mike Kohary, Feb 15, 2005
  5. Allan

    Justin Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote on [Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:12:08 -0800]:
    And was an obvious improvement from VHS, that people hadn't just bought
    into in the last few years.

    Justin, Feb 15, 2005
  6. Allan

    Mike Kohary Guest

    The point is that HD-DVD stands virtually no chance of taking off just as
    quickly.

    Mike Kohary, Feb 15, 2005
  7. Allan

    Black Locust Guest

    Not entirely true. For 'some' titles, DVD and VHS(if the vhs version was
    priced for sell-through) sales were neck and neck up until early 2003 or
    so. Infact, strangely enough, the VHS version of Finding Nemo managed to
    sell many millions of copies and ended up making Disney a buttload of
    extra dough. And this was long AFTER the VHS format had more or less
    already been written off as a dead technology for pre-recorded content.
    This should give you an idea of just how much life is left in the DVD
    format. And I'm a firm believer that the DVD is going to be even harder
    to kill off than VHS has...

    Snap back into reality Allan.

    Black Locust, Feb 15, 2005
  8. Allan

    Allan Guest

    But they needed a new expensive DVD player, (one that didn't record!)
    ..... and get their head around collecting movies on a brand new disc
    format.

    Folks these days know what "DVD" itself can offer... and there will be
    "instant" interest in HD DVD, unlike regular DVD.

    3 years is still looking good!

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 15, 2005
  9. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Grin.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 15, 2005
  10. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Please... show some actual figures and links to your "claims"...
    otherwise they are worthless.

    True... there is no "kinda wrong" with that statement,.

    "sales were neck and neck up until early 2003" please... some facts.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 15, 2005
  11. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Lots of folks had to buy new TV's to even play DVD's. Video/Audio in
    and out wasn't as common as it is today. I have friends now that have
    TV's that only have RF in.

    And if you wanted the best possible picture out of your DVD player...
    you needed a TV with component inputs.... and please don't try and
    tell me that was common place when DVD's first came out.

    If you wanted the best that DVD could offer... most folks had to
    upgrade their TV's....

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 15, 2005
  12. Allan

    Justin Guest

    You're either a shill or an idiot.

    Justin, Feb 15, 2005
  13. Allan

    Justin Guest

    Allan wrote on [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 09:48:49 -0500]:
    So, that's why Wally world and Radioshack sell RF converters. I know a
    few people who originally used RF converters or their VCR (I did this)
    to get the signal to the TV.
    It's not commonplace now!
    But to get most of what DVD could offer you didn't!

    Justin, Feb 15, 2005
  14. Allan

    Jon Purkey Guest

    Some info from 2003:

    http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=198318

    One quote:
    It seems 2001 was the year DVD sales/rentals exceeded those of VHS.

    But I don't think DVD-HD will outsell DVD anytime soon though,
    certainly not within 3 years. DVD has many advantages over VHS. HD-DVD
    however has few over DVD other than improved picture.

    -
    -Jon Purkey - <)

    Jon Purkey, Feb 15, 2005
  15. Allan

    Allan Guest

    Justin... you prove which one you are with each and every post.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 15, 2005
  16. Allan

    Allan Guest

    You route a DVD player through a VCR and you get copy guard kicking
    in... and the picture looks like shite.
    No idea what you are trying to say here. Doesn't surprise me.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_

    Allan, Feb 15, 2005
  17. Allan

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    What he's saying here is that to get 90% of what a DVD offers you can
    just hook a DVD player to an RF modulator and hook it to your tv and
    play it. To get all that's there you need a separate Audio system and
    better inputs. But even with mediocre equipment you still get a
    relatively good picture and sound and see the movies better than you're
    used to seeing them.

    HTH

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Feb 15, 2005
  18. Allan

    Justin Guest

    Allan wrote on [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:12:08 -0500]:
    Depends on the VCR. I have two that worked perfectly with this method.
    The major selling point to DVD was that it was digital and wasn't a
    tape. It was also smaller than tape, had extra features, etc.

    HD-DVD is the same in all regards...

    Justin, Feb 15, 2005
  19. Allan

    Black Locust Guest

    I didn't get these figures off the internet, nor would I dig them up for
    you. You can find them yourself if you wish. It's called Google.
    I didn't write the above quote.

    Black Locust, Feb 16, 2005
  20. Allan

    Black Locust Guest

    *sigh* Didn't we already cover this? It's called an ***RF MODULATOR***.
    The fact that you're now recycling arguments just goes to show you've
    been beat and don't know how to admit defeat. It's really quite pathetic.
    Yet again, time for another reality check for you. MOST people don't
    care about getting the best picture out of their DVD player. As long as
    it looks better than VHS, they're happy. If the majority of folk wanted
    the best possible picture quality, they would have already bought HDTVs.
    Doh..
    Hmm, I didn't and no one else I know did. I'm quite satisfied with the
    picture quality on my 27" analog Panasonic set.

    Black Locust, Feb 16, 2005