    download tied to my email address. I would sure appreciate if anyone could
    share their insites and advice on this. Thanks very much in advance.

    Obiwan

    Obiwan Kenobi, Aug 12, 2005

  2. If it bothers you that much just create a new account at some free service
    (e.g. Yahoo) and discard it once you've downloaded the software. As for
    what they'll choose to do with the address you provide, only they
    really know.

    Adam McMaster, Aug 12, 2005

  3. Obiwan Kenobi

    Geek Guest

    An even better approach is to use a mailinator address. just type in any
    adderss, and a temporary account is created which does not need a
    password to access it.
    Mailinator also acts as a spam trap, so any spam sent to it gets
    incorperated into anti spam companies blacklists :)
    www.mailinator.com

    I doubt you're email will be tired to your downloaded program file. Most
    likely the email will be used to send you SPAM, or information about
    bearshare that you reall dont want or need. It could also be used as a
    method of counting how many downloads have been made of the program.

    As for staying anonymous, this isnt really possible on the internet. You
    would need to chain your connection through multiple (at least 3) proxies
    before you could be anonymous enough to stop (or rather prevent) the RIAA
    from tracing you.

    Geek, Aug 13, 2005