bcm GT133KT based computer won't turn off

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by pc, Oct 29, 2007.

  1. pc

    pc Guest

    I upgraded a friend's PC to XP Home from W2K. I did this in my spare
    time over several weeks, re-installing her apps and applying all the
    Windoze and driver updates. At some point the system began to not
    turn off when shut down or hibernate is pressed - it reboots and comes
    back up. I wish I could have caught it when it started happening, but
    I hadn't worked on it for two weeks when I noted the problem, so I
    don't recall what it was that started the behavior.

    The only FAQ posted at bcmcom for this box lists this exact problem
    and advises removing the VIA chipset drivers drvwppqt.vxd and
    drvwq117.vxd used for the VIA 686a south bridge chipset. They also
    point to a few MS Knowledge Base articles, Q127970, Q196009, and
    Q157145 which more or less recommend the same thing. (Maybe I should
    try installing the VIA drivers....)

    It's a nice, simple solution, but unfortunately these drivers are not
    installed on the system (all of the system IO stuff seems to point to
    Microsoft drivers.)

    I'd appreciate any help offered.

    pc

    pc, Oct 29, 2007