    When he tries to install the program it says UK users only.
    Does anyone know of a method for overseas people to get at the program?
    TIA

    Dave Croft, Jan 16, 2008

  2. It's blocked by IP ranges. He could use a UK proxy, but it is unlikely that
    speeds will be good enough for streaming.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jan 16, 2008

  3. Dave  Croft

    Brian Cryer Guest

    The iPlayer allows programs to be downloaded (and then played). So provided
    he can tolerate downloading first, a proxy might be a solution. (Assuming of
    course that the beeb haven't blocked the use of proxies and that it simply a
    block on ip ranges.)

    Brian Cryer, Jan 16, 2008
  4. Dave  Croft

    ded Guest

    Your stateside friend could try BBC America and BBC World.
    http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/169/worldhome.jsp
    http://www.bbcworld.com/Pages/default.aspx
    http://www.bbcworldwide.com/

    But, if you want to try proxy, I doubt it will work and that the beeb
    blocks proxy servers? But you could try http://www.your-freedom.net/
    I think iPlayer is currently only available to UK license holders.
    A TV license is something unique to the UK and is for the funding
    of the BBC as a non commercial broadcaster. So if anyone in UK
    is viewing iPlayer but dosen't hold a current license, technically they
    maybe breaking UK law?

    ded, Jan 16, 2008
  5. Dave  Croft

    Whiskers Guest

    It's a fine distinction, but I think the official position is that if you
    are viewing (or receiving to record it yourself) 'in real time' as the
    programme is being broadcast, you need a TV licence regardless of what
    method you use to receive the programme. But if you download the file
    after broadcast or acquire it in some other way (such as tape or disc) and
    view it 'later', you don't need a TV licence. That applies whether the
    programme comes from the BBC or anyone else.

    This suggests that using the "iPlayer", you don't actually need a TV
    licence. The restriction of access to it to people in the UK only, is
    something to do with copyright agreements with the various
    content-providers (much of what the BBC broadcasts these days is not
    produced in-house and the original creators may well want to be able to
    consider other distribution arrangements in other countries rather than
    sell the BBC 'global rights').

    The current licencing regulations were devised before it was possible to
    'stream' live TV or Radio over the internet, so the rules could change to
    match current technology when our dear leaders get around to it.

    Whiskers, Jan 16, 2008
  6. Dave  Croft

    ded Guest

    You're probably right, it was just guesswork on my part as to why iPlayer
    content seems to be location restricted.

    ded, Jan 16, 2008
  7. Dave  Croft

    rwmail

    Joined: