    Eric Miller Guest

  2. Eric Miller

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Jun 14, 2007

  3. nospam wrote
    Hmmm, some of those photos don't really demonstrate a great
    deal. They would have to shoot the same shot with the same
    camera settings to demonstrate a difference in performance of
    the sensor. Only the first shot is valid in this respect, although
    the results, if representative, are very impressive.

    Chris

    Chris Gilbert, Jun 14, 2007
  4. Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jun 14, 2007
  5. Eric Miller

    babaloo Guest

    I may be dumb but it is not entirely clear that the panchromatic pixels can
    convey picture information along with brightness in the way green pixels
    convey both. Hence a sensor of given megapixel count may appear to have less
    noise but would it not also be unable to capture as much picture
    information?

    babaloo, Jun 15, 2007
  6. Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
    []
    It wasn't. It was invented, not discovered. <G>

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 15, 2007
  7. It trades off the spatial resolution in colour detail for a greater
    precision in brightness level - if you like to look at it that way. By
    using more of the incoming photos, there can be a net gain. The human eye
    is much less sensitive to colour detail.

    Unlike in the general population, some people on this group seem to have
    eyes which are completely intolerant to even small amounts of image noise.
    <G>

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 15, 2007
  8. Eric Miller

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Ron Hunter, Jun 15, 2007
  9. Eric Miller

    ray Guest

    Whereas the new technology will be used for cats to look at?

    ray, Jun 15, 2007
  10. Ï "David J Taylor"
    Yeah, whatever.I will keep that in mind, though.
    Thanks for the correction.

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jun 15, 2007
  11. You're welcome. I keep making the same mistake when I speak German!

    David

    David J Taylor, Jun 15, 2007
  12. Eric Miller

    jpc Guest

    Marketing hype from the looks of it.

    Must be a bayer sensor with one of the green filters missing.

    So what will happen. If for the sake of easy math we say the
    polychromatic sensors fill up with photoelectrons in a quarter the
    time it takes the green sensors they've upped the effective ISO by two
    stops. But now the red, blue and green sensors have only a quarter of
    their normal photoelectons. So three of the four sensor types have
    twice the noise they normally would have.

    So the trade off is higher effective ISO but a more noisy image, which
    is the same as running up the gain in the camera.

    But I'm sure it will confuse the masses

    jpc

    jpc, Jun 16, 2007
  13. I can't help thinking of the Hyperbolic Chamber right now.

    Didn't some sensors in the early 90s using uncolored pixels to improve
    low light sensitivity? Of course, nature was doing this long before
    Kodak.

    What's missing here is a demonstration of what the photo looks like in
    good light. The cool technology would be not damaging the color
    resolution too much or getting highlight blowouts when some pixels are
    unfiltered.

    Kevin McMurtrie, Jun 19, 2007