    get a knew one or for as long as it takes. I shut off my screen and
    disconnect from internet but leave computer on. Is this ok to do ?

    Regards michael

    michael spartus, Sep 30, 2004

  2. Yes, it's okay. But what's the point?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Sep 30, 2004

  3. michael spartus

    docmill Guest

    Naw, he could just turn it off and wait till the right time zone came
    around.

    docmill, Sep 30, 2004
  4. michael spartus

    Cyndese Guest

    You can do it, but realize that the entire time that you have AC power
    connected to your laptop, a trickle charge is being sent to the
    battery.
    Pull the battery out. It just adds weight and heat.

    Cindy

    Cyndese, Sep 30, 2004
  5. michael spartus

    Buffalo Guest

    I believe it is OK unless the battery starts leaking and corrupts the
    MB (possible but somewhat unlikely).
    Why do you think your battery is weak?
    If you do change the battery, first go into the BIOS and copy down the
    settings because when you change the battery, the settings go to a
    'default' setting which are not usually the best for your system.
    The batteries are 'usually' under $5 US and 'usually' are pretty
    simple to change (look in your manual) yourself.
    Any decent shop should do it for you for minimal cost.
    Call some and tell them your MB model or your computer make and model
    and ask for a quote.

    Buffalo, Sep 30, 2004
  6. michael spartus

    Gee Guest

    OK, there seem to be some confusion in which battery are you talking about:
    BIOS(CMOS) battery or laptop battery?

    For a BIOS battery, it only cost a few bob, so go and get it ASAP, and
    change it , as this battery stores your BIOS configuration, as well as
    time/date settings etc, while your pc is off. "The BIOS data is maintained
    by a battery on the motherboard. If that battery weakens, it can affect the
    operation of the floppy drive too". I am assuming if this is the battery in
    question, keeping PC on would prevent computer dying when battery does?
    Even if this works, and I don;t think it would, dead BIOS battery could
    damage the BIOS, and you really don;t want that. In the best case scenario
    it will just revert BIOS settings to factory settings.

    http://www.resource800.com/cmosbatt.html

    If its a laptop battery, keeping computer on is obviously so that it gets
    the necessary power to work, but you will probably need to buy a new battery
    which could take you a back quite a few more bobs. In this case there is no
    need to disconnect from internet, nor shut off screen. As far as I know, if
    a laptop with battery inside it is plugged into ac/dc, it will only use
    power from ac/dc and not the battery.

    So, in either case, GET A NEW BATTERY, and pronto, if its a BIOS one!

    Gee, Oct 1, 2004
  7. michael spartus

    JR Guest

    As long as you leave main power to the PC powersupply ON (the PC can
    be switched off), you can remove the battery and the PC will retain
    BIOS settings.

    The only downside to this is if there's a thunderstorm - then you
    should really disconnect from mains power and from phone line to avoid
    possible damage from a lightning strike/power surge.

    jd

    JR, Oct 1, 2004