    Can anyone confirm that, advise how often these should be replaced and tell
    me what the symptoms of a dead battery would be please?

    John.

    John Turner, Aug 20, 2004

  2. John Turner

    Ingeborg Guest

    The battery on your motherboard is used for the clock, and for some
    settings in the BIOS. An empty battery will make your time to deviate, and
    maybe the system will not boot because it has lost the harddisk setting or
    something like that.

    Batteries to survive power cuts are called UPS (Uninterruptable Power
    Supply), which you can put between you computer and the wall mount.

    Ingeborg, Aug 20, 2004

  3. John Turner

    John Turner Guest

    Thank you.

    I've just replaced the battery after owning the pc for nearly five years,
    and although there's been no problems with the clock (other than the normal
    slightly fast running) I have had some occasional rebooting problems.

    Keeping my fingers crossed that the new battery *may* resolve the latter.

    John.

    John Turner, Aug 20, 2004
  4. John Turner

    Bob Guest

    The battery on your motherboard is used for the clock, and for some
    It's unlikely that replacing a motherboard battery will have a direct
    influence on problems with rebooting a computer. This is normally to do
    with glitches in your computer's operating system, rather than the BIOS.
    That said, it is possible, so why don't you post the symptoms you're
    experiencing and see what response you get?

    Bob, Aug 20, 2004
  5. John Turner

    Parko Guest

    Parko, Aug 20, 2004
  6. John Turner

    Buffalo Guest

    Remember, when you replace the mb battery, your BIOS resets to a
    'default' condition. You will most likely have to go into the BIOS and
    change the settings to what you prefer to get the max performance out
    of your computer.
    If you need help with your BIOS settings, search on the internet for
    bios settings.
    One such site is Adria Rojak Pot's:
    http://www.rojakpot.com/ Look on the left side for the BIOS Opt
    Guide.

    Buffalo, Aug 20, 2004
  7. John Turner

    John Turner Guest

    "Buffalo" wrote
    As I've never changed BIOS settings, do I assume it will have been operating
    on default settings all along?

    John.

    John Turner, Aug 20, 2004
  8. John Turner

    Buffalo Guest

    Depends on where you bought it or who you bought it from.
    They usually tweak it for you (it would be rare if the 'default'
    settings work the best).
    You may be surprised at the difference BIOS settings can make.
    Then again, you can also screw them up.
    Overall, it is pretty easy to set them properly.

    Buffalo, Aug 20, 2004