    batteries with more capacity?

    Thanks
    Patrick

    boulay.patrick, Nov 1, 2006

  2. boulay.patrick

    Cgiorgio Guest

    It does not matter as all one hour chargers are not controlled by a timer
    but by feedback from the batteries. When fully charged, the temperature of
    the battery goes up and the voltage at the battery terminals drops slightly,
    the charger terminates the rapid charge upon detecting this. The better ones
    maintain a low current trickle charge current however after they have
    switched off.

    If you are into buying new NiMHs you might want to look for what I just
    bought two weeks ago: New generation NiMHs which do not claim higher
    capacity but very low self discharge (should have like 85% of their charge
    after a year in storage) and 1000 charge / discharge cycles. They are more
    expensive, but if they keep the promise, they are worth it. They are called
    Eneloop and are made by Sanyo. Of course nobody has long term experience
    with these.
    Definately No

    Cgiorgio, Nov 1, 2006

  3. if I buy the new generation nimh (Eneloop), if I understand I can still
    use my one hour charge right?

    I want good battery for scuba diving... it's a littble hard to change
    my batterie underwater!!

    Thanks
    Patrick

    boulay.patrick, Nov 2, 2006
  4. boulay.patrick

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    As long as the new batteries are NiMH, it would
    work fine .. but might take a tad longer.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Nov 2, 2006
  5. boulay.patrick

    ASAAR Guest

    Yes, especially if you use the charger with lower capacity
    batteries. Some older "smart" chargers, designed when current NiMH
    batteries were 1,600 mAh or lower might cut out early on high
    capacity batteries if the charger manufacturer didn't trust their
    charger's I.Q. and added a protective time-out circuit. So, for
    example, my old 1 Hour charger that was designed for 1,600mAh cells
    might shut down at 90 or 100 minutes, which would make it useful for
    newer NiMH cells having capacities of up to 2,400 or nearly 2,700
    mAh.

    Any reputable brand should be good. New Eneloop NiMH cells will
    have less capacity than almost any other new NiMH cell you can find,
    but whether they're right for you depends on how you'll be using
    your battery powered equipment. If you'll need to recharge them
    more every couple of weeks or more frequently, then standard NiMH
    cells would be better, since they'd power your underwater devices
    longer per charge. If on the other hand they'd go a month or two
    before needing to be recharged, you'd probably get more useful hours
    per charge from Eneloops. But in cases like this, plain old
    alkaline batteries may also provide a good alternative.

    There's one other factor to consider. If you'll only be using the
    u.w. equipment and batteries during a short season and then pack the
    batteries away for the 8 or 9 months until the next season, Eneloops
    will do fine. Leaving regular NiMH batteries unused and uncharged
    for periods that long isn't good for their health, and even if they
    still seem good for the next season, they may have lost a good deal
    of their original capacity.

    ASAAR, Nov 2, 2006
  6. boulay.patrick

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Not much more expensive, I paid $12 at Ritz retail (tho only place I've
    seen them retail). Can't comment except to say never charged, 640 shots
    so far and still shooting.
    I was in Walmart and saw batteries by Rayovac called Hybrids. They claim
    to have 4x less self discharge than regular NiMH. They were rated at
    2100mah (1000mah for AAA's) and claimed 80% or their charge after 6
    months. There is some cooperation between Sanyo and Rayovac, see
    http://wistechnology.com/article.php?id=786 and judge for yourself.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 2, 2006
  7. Does anyone know the mah for the Eneloop?

    Pat

    boulay.patrick, Nov 2, 2006
  8. boulay.patrick

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Between 2000mah and 2100mah, but I've never got anywhere near the shots
    I'm getting now with other 2000mah's and I'm still waiting for eneloops
    to run down.

    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Nov 3, 2006
  9. If I understand...

    If I'm looking for battries who will give me more picture with my
    digital camera and I dont care about the fact that maybe I will need to
    recharge it every day, it's better for me to by new 2900mah batteries ?
    right?

    The only advantage I see with eneloop it's you can store it for a long
    time and it will still have a lot of power...

    Is that correct?

    Thanks again!

    boulay.patrick, Nov 3, 2006
  10. boulay.patrick

    SteveB Guest

    Yes.

    SteveB, Nov 3, 2006
  11. boulay.patrick

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Basically. However, it is generally also true that an improved
    technology improves overall performance. Since I am currently using an
    old NIMH pack, I may look into eneloop batteries.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 3, 2006
  12. boulay.patrick

    SMS Guest

    Not usually. Some older chargers do have a cut-off time which, combined
    with their low charge rate, cuts off prior to a fully-discharged
    high-capacity cell being fully charged. You'd have to take the batteries
    out and put them back in, or unplug/plug-in the charger. I.e., a charger
    with a 500mA charge rate, and a five hour cut-off, would not fully
    charge a 2900mAH battery that was fully discharged.

    As to the highest capacity batteries, stick with a name brand such as
    Sanyo, where the rated capacity actually bears a relation to the actual
    capacity.

    SMS, Nov 5, 2006
  13. boulay.patrick

    SMS Guest

    I saw 4 packs of eneloops at Fry's for less than $20. Was $12 for two or
    for four?

    SMS, Nov 5, 2006
  14. boulay.patrick

    ASAAR Guest

    Although true, your implication that more than 5 hours (2900 / 500
    == 5.8) would be needed for a full charge is not accurate. At a
    500mA charge rate, about 8 hours would be needed for a full charge
    since the charging process isn't close to being 100% efficient. You
    forgot that, or never knew it?

    Sanyo produces good products, but they're far from being the only
    manufacturer of high quality batteries.

    ASAAR, Nov 5, 2006
  15. The cheapest i have seen the Eneloops were at Ritz Camera. Around $12
    for a set of four AAs.

    Michael Johnson, PE, Nov 5, 2006
  16. boulay.patrick

    AnAmigan Guest

    I bought two sets of four batteries by Panasonic which are R2
    technology.
    Long life when not in use, smart charger charges each battery
    individually.
    I'd much rather have my second set of batteries actually still
    having a
    charge when I go to use them instead of having 200 more shots for
    each
    charge.

    AnAmigan, Nov 25, 2006