    Photoshop Elements. It works well, but it takes a long time to do photos
    individually that way. I'd sure love having a tool that does batch
    conversion. Thanks in advance.

    Jerry Perry, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Jerry Perry

    MartinD Guest

    Imagemagick

    http://www.imagemagick.net/

    MartinD, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Jerry Perry

    Paul H. Guest

    Use Irfanview via the batch processing menu item under "File", selecting
    advanced options in the dialog box ( www.irfanview.com ). Works great, and
    you can over-write existing files OR re-direct the batch output to a
    directory of your choice.

    Paul H., Apr 10, 2004
  4. Jerry Perry

    zbzbzb Guest

    Can someone please suggest a freeware tool for batch converting JPEGS to
    If you get tired of using two different tools to do your work then just buy
    Paint Shop Pro 8. You can batch convert and use "actions" like in the full
    version of Photoshop to do more advanced batch conversions and to automate any
    other process you normally do.

    zbzbzb, Apr 10, 2004
  5. Jerry Perry

    Paul H. Guest

    Yes, it's sooooooo tiring to mouse on over to the Start button or
    double-click on a Desktop icon ... Why, I don't know how anybody makes it
    through the day at the computer without falling over. :)

    Paul H., Apr 10, 2004
  6. Jerry Perry

    John Navas Guest

    Likewise Corel PHOTO-PAINT.

    John Navas, Apr 11, 2004
  7. Jerry Perry

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:28:50 -0700,
    It is sooooooo tiring to convert a bunch of images manually -- just try it
    from the desktop.

    John Navas, Apr 11, 2004
  8. Jerry Perry

    zbzbzb Guest

    If you get tired of using two different tools to do your work then just

    Well most people if given the choice would prefer to use one application over
    two. If you do alot of photo editing that's even more of a reason. If you are
    the kind that would prefer to use two apps with the free one still being
    limited then go right ahead. I suspect you would be in the monority.

    zbzbzb, Apr 11, 2004
  9. Jerry Perry

    Paul H. Guest

    I often use Irfanview in conjuction with Photoshop. Pop up an image in
    Irfanview, mouse out a region, do a quick crop and copy to the clipboard,
    then control-V it into a PS layer, no muss no fuss, and in less time than it
    would take to load the image into PS to do the exact same thing. As for
    Irfanview being limited, I've paid for software which had less far utility
    than Irfanview. For quick brightness, contrast, gamma, color, etc.
    manipulations Irfanview can't be beat. It's fine rotation function is
    nearly as good as Photoshop's, too, and I can produce a page of thumbnails
    in a flash. Limited? I don't think so. And if I start doing something
    with Irfanview that really would have been easier with Photoshop, I've set
    up Irfanview so that Shift-E starts PS and loads the image I'm working on
    into the PS workspace.

    When I'm doing audio stuff, I often edit using SoundForge, save the wave
    then pass it along to Razor Lame to mp3-encode it. I could care less about
    doing the encoding from "within" SoundForge. Does it bother me to use two
    programs when one might suffice? Not at all--I like it! On the hardware
    side, I still take a component-based approach to my sound/video system, too,
    since I don't want to be restricted to a particular brand DVD player,
    receiver, or whatever. Mix and match to best effect. Hardware, software,
    whatever.

    Finally, one of the wonderful things about modern operating systems is that
    inter-program communication often blurs the boundary between separate
    applicatons. Most everyone I know, for example, freely moves between Word
    and Excel and they don't even notice they're doing it. Alt-tab with the
    left hand and they're off to the races.

    In any case, I didn't mean to offend-- note the smiley in my
    tongue-and-cheek answer. I guess I take the synergistic practice of using
    more than one program at the same time for granted and assume others did the
    same.

    Paul H., Apr 11, 2004
  10. Jerry Perry

    zbzbzb Guest

    I often use Irfanview in conjuction with Photoshop. Pop up an image in

    If you already have Photoshop open then why would it take longer through
    Photoshop?

    As for

    It is limited if you plan on doing alot of batch coversions or batch coversions
    utilizing recorded actions. As for its other features, I had never mentioned
    them.

    zbzbzb, Apr 11, 2004
  11. Jerry Perry

    Paul H. Guest

    The "simple" act of opening a file in PS requires more overhead and many
    more steps than it does from within a lean, fast program such as Irfanview:
    PS data must be swapped out to the HD, memory reserved in a complex way, the
    PS workspace needs to be changed to accomodate the just-opened file, etc.
    Have you never noticed, for instance, that it takes far less time to pop up
    a document with Notepad than it does to open the same document from within
    Word, particularly so if you already have a large document open? Ever
    wonder why? Ever wonder why pasting from the clipboard is allowed in
    Photoshop? The designers simply could have forced everyone to go through
    the laborious file-opening procedure had they wanted to, but they didn't.
    Why is that? Were they just being quirky, or was there a reason behind the
    inclusion of clipboard pasting?

    Secondly, I have hundreds, if not several thousands, of graphics files on my
    hard drive. Irfanview lets me work through pages of thumbnails created
    on-the-fly when I'm trying to locate a particular image and it does so MUCH
    faster than PS's rather primitive thumbnail-in-a-file-open-box's
    methodology.

    I repeat: Irfanview is a fast, useful program which can be effectively used
    alone or in conjunction with other programs such as Photoshop. You are free
    to use it or not, as you please, and if you only want to open one and only
    one program at a time, you can do that, too, since it's your life and your
    computer.

    Other people work differently. It's unfortunate you find that fact
    offensive-- sorry for living, squire.

    Paul H., Apr 11, 2004
  12. Jerry Perry

    zbzbzb Guest

    The "simple" act of opening a file in PS requires more overhead and many

    If it works for you then that's great but I don't buy it.

    Don't get defensive. No one was finding anything offensive. Just because
    someone poses a question to you doesn't mean they are offended.

    zbzbzb, Apr 11, 2004
  13. Jerry Perry

    John Navas Guest

    In <> on Sun, 11 Apr 2004 08:41:04 -0700,
    The difference is small on any reasonably current system -- there's no
    swapping to hard disk given a proper amount of memory, and your other items
    are not only fast but also comparable for clipboard pasting.
    If Word is already running, opening a document is just about as fast as with
    Notepad (on any reasonably current system), even if a large document is
    already open. The big overhead is in starting Word, not opening a document.
    Likewise with a good image editor.
    Different purposes. Clipboard pasting is useful even when working just within
    Photoshop.
    I personally just use Windows XP thumbnail mode.

    John Navas, Apr 13, 2004
  14. Jerry Perry

    epcsoft Guest

    hi:

    advanced batch filter can help you,it can batch
    edit,grayscale,resize,add over 20 filters to images.

    you can free download advanced batch filter from here:
    http://www.epcsoft.net

    email:

    epcsoft, Apr 17, 2004
  15. Jerry Perry

    DigiGeek Guest

    You could try Photomazing (www.ob1gui.com). Works free for 32 images
    at a time. If you buy it its unlimited. Also supports resize etc. in
    batch mode...

    DigiGeek, Apr 24, 2004