Basic Net Flow Configuration

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by udo, May 6, 2006.

  1. udo

    udo Guest

    Hi all,

    I should setup NetFlow for data collecting and exporting to a linux
    box.
    NetFlow should configured on the core e.g. CAT 6509 and the linux box
    is either SuSE or RH.

    What are the basic steps to configure this. The primary reason to do
    this is for network planing, what are the top users, what percentage of
    network traffic they use ...and so on..

    This is the first time for me to anything like this. So I'm searching
    for any good examples (config cat) and what open source tools can I use

    I'm also glad about a good guide to solve this challenge...;-)

    thanks...

    udo

    udo, May 6, 2006

  2. udo

    Merv Guest

    Merv, May 6, 2006

  3. udo

    jay Guest

    What your after is a Linux collector daemon first.
    Since you may have RH - then an RPM is easiest to install. For totally
    free open source software, check out Flow-tools.
    http://www.splintered.net/sw/flow-tools/
    and Caida's http://www.caida.org/tools/measurement/cflowd/

    Then you need something to help filter the Raw netflow data to map to
    location and appliaction etc. I use JKFlow since the XML config is
    nicer to use
    http://users.telenet.be/jurgen.kobierczynski/jkflow/JKFlow.html

    Netfow setup on the router is a few lines of code. Something like..
    int f0/0
    ip route-cache flow
    !
    ip flow-export 10.x.x.x <port>
    ip flow-export source loopback 0
    ip flow-export version 5
    !

    jay, May 7, 2006
  4. udo

    udo Guest

    hi jay,

    i would like to solve this with ntop ? this is included in SuSE.
    did you also know ntop ? maybe it seems to be working with netflow
    !?!?!
    thanks ...

    udo

    udo, May 7, 2006