Basic ethernet question - Is it safe to connect/disconnect 10/100BaseT cables with computers and/or

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Roger©, Sep 28, 2003.

  1. Roger©

    Roger© Guest

    Roger©, Sep 28, 2003

  2. Roger©

    Mike Walker Guest

    I do - and its not caused me any problems.

    Mike Walker, Sep 28, 2003

  3. Roger©

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    It shouldn't.

    -= Hawk =-, Sep 29, 2003
  4. The subject says it all really. I can't find an answer on the net, or I
    Please don't use the subject line to ask you question
    and repeat it in the main body of the message.

    However answer it
    No you shouldn't have any problems doing that...

    http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

    Bebop & Rocksteady, Sep 29, 2003
  5. I would rather see you connect cables with the machines on both ends
    *on* than do it when they're *off*. When they're on, they're going to
    be well-behaved. If there's a chance of any weird stuff getting onto
    the wire, it's while they're powering up and down, not while they're on.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

    Steve Freides, Sep 29, 2003
  6. Roger©

    Patrick Guest

    When I had ntl cable installed, I said to the engineer 'is it allright to
    plug in the ethernet cable 'hot'.
    He looked at me as though I was mad, and stuck it in (hot). :( :)

    Patrick, Sep 29, 2003
  7. Roger©

    Petit Alexi Guest

    You had an ethernet cable modem?

    Petit Alexi, Sep 29, 2003
  8. Roger©

    Bryan Guest

    They give you options, modem comes with choices!
    :)

    Bryan, Sep 29, 2003
  9. Roger©

    Patrick Guest

    Is you's correcting my gramma's or what's ?
    (ntl cable *modem* installed)!

    Patrick, Sep 29, 2003
  10. Roger©

    Petit Alexi Guest

    Please accept my apologies.

    For some reason I thought you said 10BaseT modem, even though you clearly
    didn't.

    Petit Alexi, Sep 30, 2003
  11. Roger©

    Petit Alexi Guest

    Please accept my apologies.

    I thought you said "10BaseT modem", even though you clearly didn't.

    And I've just replied to the worng person too. Good Grief, I feel like
    I've been huffing glue or something.

    Petit Alexi, Sep 30, 2003
  12. Roger©

    RickMerrill Guest

    Yes, BUT do not touch the actual conductors - you've
    heard of ESD? Well, a little static CAN blow your
    drivers, regardless of whether power is on or off.

    Yes, you are supposed to be able to hot socket
    ethernet connections, BUT remember to tell older
    Windows systems to rediscover the network connections.

    - RM

    RickMerrill, Sep 30, 2003
  13. Roger©

    Patrick Guest

    That what you say; I presume to understand, is the fingy with the co-axial
    cable. Which, actually, is what I thought you were saying.
    (you can critisize my grammer/spelling now if you want to)

    Got to go, cat has decided to sit in front of the monitor (writeing blind
    now) :)

    Patrick, Sep 30, 2003
  14. Roger©

    Petit Alexi Guest

    Hang on, so did you have a 10BaseT modem? With Co-axial connectors? What
    make, where from, any good, still got it????

    Petit Alexi, Sep 30, 2003
  15. Roger©

    Patrick Guest

    No,

    Cats coming back, she's very jelious (green fing) of my keyboard, she's gone
    back to her cardboard box now (haveing a scratch, a clean, an a sleep).

    No I do not have a co-axial type cable-modem.

    Best wishes Patrick

    Patrick, Sep 30, 2003
  16. Roger©

    Gordon Guest

    Sorry if ive replied to wrong post but i still have some ethernet cards and
    d-link cards at work I THINK. are these the same as 10base t ???
    reply to gordonford take out the start of the century,
    am i making this too complicated?
    G..

    Gordon, Oct 1, 2003
  17.
    AASEBØ AUDUN Z, Oct 1, 2003
  18. Roger©

    Petit Alexi Guest

    I'm not sure if you have, but no worries mate.
    I've forgotton what the original question was. Are you offering this
    equipment to me? If so, thanks but I don't need it. If you have this
    equipment, but you have a question about it, I politely suggest you find
    out what the equipment is, and start a new thread.
    Asking people to email you is not good.
    You are munging in an odd way; add .ivalid to the end and make the bit that
    people take out on the right hand side of the @

    Petit Alexi, Oct 2, 2003
  19. Roger©

    gust Guest

    I would say it's pretty much like turning off the water when yer in the

    doesn't screw anyting up but iffya stand there a while ya might get chilly

    gust, Oct 6, 2003