    If I was to get one of the barebones ones with an operating system
    already installed, would I be able to change operating systems later on?

    Can I upgrade things like RAM, video, sound, hard drive, CPU later on?

    gveoa, Aug 31, 2003

  2. gveoa

    BJ Guest

    ok,here goes.....

    if you build it yourself, you can put whatever you want in it, you can
    upgrade it however you want. your only limitation is how much money you
    wanna spend on it. you can put any OS you want on any machine as long as the
    machine meets the minimum requirements for that OS. It is cheaper to build
    it yourself, and quite easy if you have a little technical ability, and it
    will give you a much better understanding of how your PC works.

    BJ, Aug 31, 2003

  3. gveoa

    SgtMinor Guest

    Building your own computer from scratch is not only informative, and,
    for some, enjoyable, but you can get a better combination of components
    than in an off-the-shelf model. A 'barebones systems already has made
    several decisions for you, e.g. type of case, power supply, motherboard
    and CPU. I have not seen a barebones system yet that combined my
    preferences in just those four areas.

    On the down side, even experienced computer users can run into problems
    when they build a system from the ground up.

    Judging by the questions you asked, you may be better off buying a
    complete system. If you're into graphics and movie making, Sony has
    some great systems. If you're addicted to games, check out Alienware
    (http://www.alienware.com/) For general use check out Dell and
    Gateway. Stay away from computers that use a lot of proprietary
    technology like Compaq and HP. Avoid all computers with PCChips
    motherboards.

    Often, your local computer store can build you a very good system at a
    reasonable price. They'll test it out and if anything goes wrong you
    can go back to a local source for help. Just make sure their business
    is sound enough to be a round for a few more years.

    SgtMinor, Aug 31, 2003
  4. gveoa

    frank© Guest

    Why avoid PC Chips motherboards? What are their faults?
    I have used them without probs, maybe I have been lucky.

    frank©, Sep 1, 2003
  5. gveoa

    SgtMinor Guest

    PCChips are the Yugos of motherboards. They cut corners on just about
    every component so they can be the cheapest. Pay a few bucks 'extra'
    and get more PCI slots, better AGP, more bus speeds, more BIOS options,
    and probably a more efficient design. Check out this review:
    http://www.hardwaresite.net/m930lr.html

    <snip>

    SgtMinor, Sep 1, 2003
  6. gveoa

    Suenet Guest

    I've heard others make that comment. Stick with the manufacturers that
    have been around the longest.

    Suenet, Sep 1, 2003
  7. Bought my girlfriend a computer that had a PC Chips MB. Damn thing died
    within 2 weeks! Going to buy her a proper board as soon as I get paid...
    maybe the Asus A7N8X Deluxe...

    Sentient Fluid, Sep 1, 2003