    bandwidth problem? If t is a limiting factor, why do I get speed test of 5.5
    Mbit through this switch?

    Thank.

    DaveC, Mar 6, 2011

  2. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    I do have one 10/100 switch in the path. Would this be a cause of the
    Doh!

    100 > 5.

    So, where's the BW choking?

    Thanks.

    DaveC, Mar 6, 2011

  3. DaveC

    Dave Saville Guest

    Silly question - What speed is your PC? FTP transfers tend to gobble
    up bandwidth & CPU.

    Dave Saville, Mar 6, 2011
  4. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Silly question - What speed is your PC? FTP transfers tend to gobble
    1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo (c. 2006)

    Thanks.

    DaveC, Mar 6, 2011
  5. DaveC

    Bernard Peek Guest

    It's quite possible that the uplink is saturating. Data transfers use a
    handshaking protocol that uses the uplink to signal that it's ready to
    accept data.
    No

    Bernard Peek, Mar 6, 2011
  6. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    It's quite possible that the uplink is saturating. Data transfers use a
    I set up several downloads and one video stream to watch.

    Watching the monitor figures (3rd party software monitor):
    Upload: 150-200 Kbit/sec
    Download: 200-500 Kbit/sec

    I watched the monitor for 30 seconds. It updates 2x per second.

    All during this period, the video stopped, buffered, started. About every 5-7
    seconds, stopping for about 2 seconds.

    Everything I can see I'm not saturating the network interface.

    DaveC, Mar 6, 2011
  7. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    All during this period, the video stopped, buffered, started. About every 5-7
    And if I suspend the downloads, the video plays uninterrupted.

    DaveC, Mar 6, 2011
  8. Could you be using more than one real time security package?

    I had this effect until I disabled SpybotSD's T-timer feature and also
    replaced Zonealarm with Malwarebytes.

    I use these freeware programs a couple of times a week to check if
    anything slipped through my primary security package, and don't need
    them to operate real time.

    I also have an automatic backup program (Memeo) which also caused
    streaming video to stutter.

    So I now do downloads to a folder that doesn't get backed up, and then
    move the files to their actual destination.

    Christopher A. Lee, Mar 6, 2011