Bandwidth Data - bmon

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Geoff Lane, Feb 2, 2008.

  1. Geoff Lane

    Geoff Lane Guest

    I've recently switched broadband supply away from Pipex at a fixed 1mbps
    to adslMAX with a projected 6mbps.

    I've read enough about wild claims from ISPs not to expect 6mbps but in
    an effort to compare and understand figures downloaded bmon to peruse
    the data.

    On a windows machine I use the simple analogX program, nsl, which allows
    readings in Bytes or Bits and gives an average reading shown over a minute.

    My windows machines are wifi so I thought my ethernet linux box would
    give a better guide but I haven't quite got my head around the bmon
    readings and can't find a detailed explanation, I do however appreciate
    it does look quite simple.

    At http://www.3lanes.eclipse.co.uk/temp/bmon.jpg I have posted a
    screenshot after 6 minutes of downloading an ISO image file.

    I assume KiB is Bytes and not Bits but under RX what are the five rows
    ranging (On my readout) from 147.79KiB down to 24.63KiB, the upper 3
    readings all appear to have 4 asterisks whereas the lower 3 readings
    have 5, my actual reading at the time of screenshot appears to show
    148.85KiB

    Also, what are those percentage readings on the 6th line of the RX and
    TX rows referring to.

    Thanks in advance.

    Geoff Lane
    Followup-To:uk.telecom.broadband