Bailout (politics)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Stormin Mormon, Sep 26, 2008.

  1. Stormin Mormon

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Ray Fischer added these comments in the current discussion du
    jour ...
    If one is as skeptical about this as the person making these
    statements, then it is understandable why they would use any
    technicality to discredit the web site citation.

    I am not privy to direct knowledge on American imports and
    exports but also not nearly interested enough to do scholarly
    research or even a quick Google to find out, but if I did look
    into this, I'm sure that my eyes would be wide open on how many
    countries are our trading partners, the often strange
    import/export restrictions other countries have, and the breadth
    and depth of the commodities both goods and services that are on
    the global market.

    It helps to be at least fair and open minded when new knowledge
    like this comes in as most of us are far too busy worrying about
    our own jobs and our families to really be mindful of the full
    trade picture.

    I'm not a particular fan of so-called globalization because I
    don't think that the playing field is fair for American goods in
    foreign markets, resulting in wholesale outsourcing of millions
    of jobs in every sector of the economy. That said, though, before
    I would advocate gross changes in our laws such as repealing
    NAFTA and CAFTA or instituting rigid reciprocal agreements like
    Japan and serveral European countries do to protect their
    domestic industries, I'd want American made goods and service
    quality improved and the price lowered. This is an extreme
    challenge due to huge disparities in wages and salaries, even to
    the point that "greenfield" plants built in the American South
    pay only half what Northern unionized plants pay. It is both a
    complex and a politically charged discussion that transcends even
    the current real or manufactured financial crisis.

    HEMI-Powered, Sep 27, 2008

  2. Stormin Mormon

    Paul Furman Guest

    There is no shortage of blue gum here (California), what do you use it
    for? I know some want it cleared and it has been possible to have
    logging contractors remove it for free or a small price but don't know
    what use it goes for as I think it grows too fast & the wood just
    splits, and doesn't burn all that well either.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Sep 29, 2008

  3. Stormin Mormon

    Paul Furman Guest

    He has a point though that a credit crunch in the US effects the world
    markets and makes loans difficult. Others may depend less on credit, I
    don't know.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Sep 29, 2008
  4. Stormin Mormon

    J. Clarke Guest

    Sydney Blue Gum is growing in California?

    J. Clarke, Sep 29, 2008
  5. Stormin Mormon

    dj_nme Guest

    I think gumtrees are being grown because they doesn't require much water
    to sustain them.
    Unfortunately, gumtrees burn so much better than the native American trees.
    I was surprised to see the familiar shape of gumtrees in the footage
    from the recent fires in California.

    dj_nme, Sep 29, 2008
  6. Stormin Mormon

    Paul Furman Guest

    Eucalyptus globulus is a major weed. Originally planted intentionally.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Sep 29, 2008
  7. Stormin Mormon

    J. Clarke Guest

    Sydney Blue Gum is Eucalyptus Saligna, not Eucalyptus Globulus.

    J. Clarke, Sep 29, 2008
  8. Stormin Mormon

    J. Clarke Guest

    Do you have a photo of a Eucalyptus Saligna in California?

    J. Clarke, Sep 29, 2008
  9. Stormin Mormon

    Paul Furman Guest

    I never heard of it. Google says it only occurs in Hawaii.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Sep 30, 2008
  10. Stormin Mormon

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Ray Fischer, Sep 30, 2008
  11. Stormin Mormon

    J. Clarke Guest

    More likely to be Grandis--Saligna has blue bark, Grandis is similar
    but has white. Of course there are more than 700 species of
    eucalyptus so they're not likely to be either.

    J. Clarke, Oct 1, 2008