Bad system file?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Roger Gelder, Dec 30, 2010.

  1. Roger Gelder

    Roger Gelder Guest

    Windows XP x64 Professional

    During abnormal operation, the file " avp.exe*32 " runs,
    with up to 99% cpu usage and with Memory Usage
    growing from ~40K up to 150K, oscillating to & fro.
    It slows everything else, finally locking all until it stops,
    sometimes after 5 -10 minutes, sometimes not until
    switch -off at the mains supply.
    Whilst I cannot be certain this is the same file running
    at start-up, sometimes the behaviour is identical. with
    the hard drive light "On" but not booting after Log-on.

    I have "cured" it by a restore to 2 weeks back, before
    this began.

    I suspect the (now) 6 yr-old hard drive (& PC) is returning
    to the great re-cycler at the city dump but ask here in case
    wiser heads think otherwise?

    Hopefully, may you have an Improving New Year,
    roj

    Roger Gelder, Dec 30, 2010

  2. Roger Gelder

    Roger Gelder Guest