    How can I force XP to reset the total?

    Thanks

    John

    vagabond, Sep 12, 2003

  2. vagabond

    Casey Bralla Guest

    It sound to me like your new hard drive is bad, too. ) If you can, try a
    third drive (even an old one you have lying around somewhere) so that you
    could be sure. It's not unheard of to find a second drive failing almost
    as soon as you install it.

    Some other things to check: You might simply be shutting off the power to
    Windows rather than shutting it down first. Sometimes that can corrupt the
    disk Also, you could have a bad power supply that doesn't supply enough
    power to operate your disk drive... but that seems less likely

    I don't think Windows keeps track of bad sectors on the disk. Typically,
    that is done internally on the hard drive and Windows is blissfully unaware
    of any sector problems (until it finds it can't read the drive).

    Good luck!

    Casey Bralla
    Vorlon Information Technologies
    www.VorlonInfoTech.com/gethelp.html

    No-Risk Personalized Computer Help
    Pay ONLY if we fix your problem
    Pay ONLY the amount you want.

    Casey Bralla, Sep 13, 2003

  3. vagabond

    vagabond Guest

    From what I have found out so far:

    Legacy windows allows sectors marked as bad to be retested through a registry key change, ntfs stores bad sector information in the $BadClus metadata file.

    A disk to disk copy also copies this file and hence the new installation still believes certain sectors have failed.

    vagabond, Sep 13, 2003