    has a single 512Mb DDRAM chip installed. I'm really grasping for straws
    here, but could there be a problem with the DDRAM that would let Win98SE
    use it, but cause WinXP a problem?

    JTJersey, Dec 26, 2004

  2. JTJersey

    Thor Guest

    many weird things can happen with bad memory. All depends on what gets
    accessed/used during the setup process. If you are attempting an upgrade of
    Win98 with an existing install, then it may be something that the XP setup
    program doesn't like in your present Win98 system. Try a clean install if
    possible.

    Thor, Dec 26, 2004

  3. JTJersey

    derek / nul Guest

    And the error would be?

    derek / nul, Dec 27, 2004
  4. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    many weird things can happen with bad memory. All depends on what gets
    When I initially attempted to install WinXP I was using a new drive and
    went with the clean install. This was when I first experienced the
    problem of the installation starting over at step one every time I ran it.
    I installed Win98SE to that drive and then tried upgrading again.
    Everytime it was the same. It would run through the install and when it
    called for a reboot, I'd get a message that no operating system was
    present. If I rebooted with the install CD in the CD drive it would
    simply start the install over again. I keep my entire Win98SE setup
    cloned to two other hard drives so that I can copy it onto the hard drive
    I'm working with should something go wrong. I'm glad I had that backup
    when I bought XP. I've sent an email to Microsoft tech support about
    this, but haven't heard back yet. This is a weird one for sure.

    JTJersey, Dec 27, 2004
  5. JTJersey

    colin Guest

    When the installation goes for the first reboot, go into your BIOS and
    change the boot order to C: (instead of CDROM being the first boot device);
    your XP install should then continue on from where it left off.

    colin, Dec 27, 2004
  6. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    When the installation goes for the first reboot, go into your BIOS and
    Tried that, thanks. That's when I get the "no operating system present"
    message.

    JTJersey, Dec 27, 2004
  7. JTJersey

    Trent© Guest

    Set the partition as active.

    And don't ASSUME its active...especially with the cloning you do.
    Make sure its active.

    This may be your problem...and I've run across it many times.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Dec 31, 2004
  8. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    You lost me here Trent©, what partition are you refering to?

    JTJersey, Jan 3, 2005
  9. JTJersey

    Trent© Guest

    The partition where yer tryin' to install XP.

    The partition must be set to active. If it isn't, XP will still
    install okay. But it will not boot to that partition...it can't. So
    you create an endless loop...if you keep the boot cd in the tray.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jan 3, 2005
  10. JTJersey

    Trent© Guest

    Some cloning programs will, by default, set one (or both) of the
    partitions on each of the drives as inactive. This is done primarily
    for the sake of XP...which can cause havoc if more than one XP
    partition is set to active.

    Check your configuration in your cloning program.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jan 3, 2005
  11. JTJersey

    JTJersey Guest

    I'm installing XP to a hard drive with a single partition that contains my
    Win98SE which is working just fine. I don't recall seeing anything
    anywhere giving me an option to set a partition as active or otherwise.
    I'll run it again an see if I missed something.

    JTJersey, Jan 4, 2005
  12. regarding making partiions active-

    The option to set the partition active is never in the BIOS. It is an
    option offered by FDISK, which is on any windows 98 boot disk and is
    probably on your win98 system too.
    To avoid problems, you want to avoid an old version of fdisk, and to do
    that, I recommend making a win98 boot disk from www.bootdisk.com

    So make that boot disk by executing this file [1] with a floppy disk in
    there.
    Reboot, and set your BIOS to boot off the floppy (A:) first (change the
    boot order).
    You will see a command prompt that looks like this A:\>
    At that prompt, type 'fdisk' and hit enter- like this
    active, and you can use the easily navigatable menu to make the
    partition active.

    FDISK is free and it'll do the basic things, including making
    partitions active, but it can't do anything else. so a lot of people
    use Partition Magic.

    jameshanley39, Jan 4, 2005
  13. JTJersey

    Trent© Guest

    FDISK is not free...and I hope bootdisk.com isn't giving it away as
    such. That would be illegal.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jan 5, 2005