    right in assuming that its the memory card and not the camera causing
    me the problems, and short of throwing it away (its not too old, and a
    1GB 40x speed) is there anything I might be able to do to fix it?

    bluealmond, Aug 17, 2005

  2. bluealmond

    Charles Guest

    No idea how a card could do that. Have you tried to format the card
    in the camera? Have you tried a different card? they're cheap
    nowdays, you should have a spare card anyway.

    Charles, Aug 17, 2005

  3. bluealmond

    Martin Brown Guest

    It could be either...

    If you have other memory cards that do not show this fault then the
    suspiscion has to be the card. Something intermittently gets in the way
    of memory writes and allows the wrong bit of memory to be written.
    You could try reformatting the card and/or cleaning the connectors in
    accordance with manufacturers recommendations. Thumbnails usually
    survive but the main image tends to get damaged. You may get any
    combination of wierd colours, lateral shifts or undecodable images.

    Try opening them in a web browser as they tend to be more tolerant of
    corrupted JPEG datastreams.

    Regards,
    Martin Brown

    Martin Brown, Aug 17, 2005
  4. bluealmond

    wilt Guest

    Not sure exactly how memory cards work, but the general way harddrives
    and floppies and CD-R work is that a section of the storage space is
    set up as a directory of the data which is stored on it. The o/s
    simply sets a bit to make a file 'deleted' but not erased, and
    unsetting this bit allows a file to be 'unerased'. It sounds like the
    directory is corrupted on this CF card, so that pictures are 'deleted'
    then 'undeleted' somewhat randomly. I suggest formatting the CF card
    *in the camera* (formatting in your computer can create problems for
    some cameras in no longer being able to write/read to the CF after
    formatting!) and trying to use the camera with that CF card to shoot a
    whole bunch of test shots that you won't care if they're lost. If the
    CF still is flakey after formatting in the camera, throw the thing away
    (or see if the manufacturer has a 'lifetime warranty' that applies to
    their CF memory!).

    wilt, Aug 17, 2005
  5. bluealmond

    Bill Hilton Guest

    My compact flash memory card appeared to have layered itself... I
    What camera model are you using? Some of them are limited to a certain
    folder size (ie, number of shots) and once you hit that size they'll
    create a new folder so it might look as though your shots disappeared
    until you download later on and see both folders ...

    Just a guess, but it would make more sense to me if the camera was
    doing this ... I don't see how a card could think this much on it's own
    :)

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Aug 17, 2005
  6. bluealmond

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Format in camera.

    Ron Hunter, Aug 18, 2005
  7. bluealmond

    bluealmond Guest

    Bill... I think you may be on to something here. I've just spent the
    weekend in paris, and took my camera along with my old memory card
    (128mb), thinking i didn't want to loose the photos I've taken, and its
    done the same thing again, only this time has twice 'deleted' my
    photos, despite the overall memory showing that the card is in use. The
    camera is a Canon ixus 400 circa 2003. Is it likely that I can take my
    camera to be serviced somewhere? As for limited folder size, I'd be
    surprised. I took my 1GB to Turkey for 3 weeks and clocked up almost
    700mb of photos, all of which stayed with no hassles (that was April
    this year, and trouble begain in June). Any further thoughts?

    bluealmond, Aug 22, 2005
  8. bluealmond

    bluealmond Guest

    I don't know how I can format this camera... IXUS 400... any
    suggestions?

    bluealmond, Aug 22, 2005
  9. bluealmond

    Bill Hilton Guest