Bad media, bad files or bad Nero?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Dec 31, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    What type of dye would you recommend?

    So far I have tried:

    RICOHJPN D01 067 (Aone 8x DVD+R DL)
    MKM 01RD30 (Verbatim 4x DVD-R DL)

    What do I try next? Taiyo Yuden? ;) Do they even make Dual Layer
    media? Maybe they're not stupid enough to?

    I have to bare in mind that my system seems to get on better with
    DVD-R DL than +R DL. These ones at least are readable on my system no
    problems if not many other places.

    I would be interested to know of any other people in this newsgroup
    who has had sucess burning video to dual layer DVD and has had no
    problems playing that back in a variety of drives and players. Would
    love to know what type of discs you used and what software you used as
    well to encode and burn it and also what burner you have. So far I
    just think that DVD players and drives don't like any blank dual layer
    discs that have been burned. They seem to only like the professional
    hollywood movies in this dual layer format.

    Maybe when Blu Ray burners come down in price I'll finally have a
    format I can burn my project onto in full quality without any
    problems?

    Cheers

    John

    John, Jan 8, 2008

  2. John

    John Guest

    I am in the process of using Nero Recode to shrink my dual layer
    project down to DVD-5 size. It's sucked all the Video_TS folder in and
    wants to reduce the menus to 63% quality. Main movie to 81% quality.
    And the rest of the titles (26 of them!) some of these VERY VERY LOW!
    One is as low as 15%. The credits and closing titles it has kept
    fairly high quality around 50 or 60%, but the rest of my videos and
    slideshows (which are also videos?) it is wanting to drastically
    reduce the quality average is 31.2%. Can only see what happens I
    suppose. Nero Recode though seems to assume that the longest video is
    the main movie, and that none of the other titles are also important
    some of which may need a higher quality too.

    In the fit to target box bottom right there is no option for spanning
    this over 2 DVD-5s. It looks like you can only get this option going
    via Recode DVDs and Videos to Nero Digital not via the Recode an
    Entire DVD to DVD.

    Bizarre.

    John

    John, Jan 8, 2008

  3. John

    G Hardy Guest

    What do I try next? Taiyo Yuden? ;) Do they even make Dual Layer
    Definitely Taiyo Yuden. If you're making a lot of discs (so the extra 10p or
    so per disc for TY dye is prohibitive) then use Ritek dye based discs.

    Note I bought a batch of Ridisc DVD-R assuming it would be Ritek dye - it
    wasn't. It was CMC Magentics dye, which is pants.

    Buy from somewhere like SVP, where the ADVDINFO readout is displayed
    alongside the rest of the info about the discs. Avoid "lucky dip" packs,
    even the ones from SVP, unless it's for short-term projects.

    I gave up on DL fairly early, and haven't really had need to go back to
    check compatibility recently. However, we got two new DVD players over the
    Christmas period, so I may rip something tough to them (like "The Matrix")
    and see how they get on...

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/01/hd_dvd_camp_implodes.html

    G Hardy, Jan 8, 2008
  4. John

    Keith Guest

    Just for general info... I have a Mad Dog DVD+-R / +-RW / -RAM drive
    (VERY fast throughput drive). I use Verbatim and Maxell Dual-Layer
    discs. They work like a champ every time. I get them from Office Max
    and Wal-Mart respectively. I'm using MovieFactory to edit/author.

    BTW, the Mad Dog drive is what they call "Triple Format", meaning it
    takes "DVD-RAM" discs. They're very high speed RW discs made from a new
    material that have a 30+ year lifespan. It reads & writes them at 22
    Mbps! You can use the drive like a removable hard disc. Cool ! :)

    Keith, Jan 8, 2008